• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jake Appleget is "N"

Looks like the kind of player that Wisky and Iowa have been beating us with for years...and then I go check their recruiting rankings and say "That is the recruit that just looked so good against us? Who could have known? How do they keep bringing in that kind?" And now I see us bringing in one that I think is that kind of guy.

Good get. Welcome Jake. Now get bigger and stronger and faster and angry.

Wisconsin's player development is god tier. Up until recently, those LBs were rarely 4 stars and never 5 stars, they were 3 stars...sometimes even 2 stars that they developed into NFL quality linebackers.

Getting players to come to your program is one thing, developing said players is entirely another. This is and has remained Nebraska's problem for quite some time. Our strategy since joining the B1G seems to have been to try and recruit like Ohio St and Alabama do and chase stars. That's never going to happen and we've all seen how that went.

I really don't care how many stars a kid has next to his name, just make sure he fits what the coaches are trying to do and most importantly, DEVELOP THEM.

Last edited:
Wisconsin's player development is god tier. Up until recently, those LBs were rarely 4 stars and never 5 stars, they were 3 stars...sometimes even 2 stars that they developed into NFL quality linebackers.

Getting players to come to your program is one thing, developing said players is entirely another. This is and has remained Nebraska's problem for quite some time. Our strategy since joining the B1G seems to have been to try and recruit like Ohio St and Alabama do and chase stars. That's never going to happen and we've all seen how that went.

I really don't care how many stars a kid has next to his name, just make sure he fits what the coaches are trying to do and most importantly, DEVELOP THEM.
Partly true. For years wiscy developed and rarely got those 4 stars, so the counter would be then,if that formula hs proven to work so well,why change?
Wisky now gets its share of 4 stars, and so does Nebraska.
I think youre right about development,it hasnt gone well, and theres reasons other than just incapable coaching, consistency is a killer for development, but we need to do both, get those 4 stars and develop, and its essential to have that consistency in coaching/systems.

Partly true. For years Wiscy developed and rarely got those 4 stars, so the counter would be then, if that formula has proven to work so well, why change?
Wiscy now gets its share of 4 stars, and so does Nebraska.
I think you're right about development, it hasn't gone well, and there's reasons other than just incapable coaching, consistency is a killer for development, but we need to do both, get those 4 stars and develop, and its essential to have that consistency in coaching/systems.

What is partly true?

What is partly true?
We need to have those 4 stars, mixed with developed 3stars.
It does matter, as the star ratings are often due to size coming out of HS.
As for out recruiting the bamas et al, we do on occasion, and will more often th better we do.

So we need to address both

We need to have those 4 stars, mixed with developed 3stars.
It does matter, as the star ratings are often due to size coming out of HS.
As for out recruiting the bamas et al, we do on occasion, and will more often the better we do.

So we need to address both

Well yeah, I never suggested that Nebraska should abandon trying to recruit the best possible players they can, that would be ridiculous. I'm saying that regardless of how many stars are next a players name, that player should fit the system and they need to be developed, and developed well.

Nebraska will never recruit as well or better than Alabama and Ohio St on a consistent basis. I'm not talking about beating them out for a recruit here and there, I'm talking about top 5 recruiting classes every year. That's never going to happen. Just like the success from the 90's isn't coming back.

Last edited:
Well yeah, I never suggested that Nebraska should abandon trying to recruit the best possible players they can, that would be ridiculous. I'm saying that regardless of how many stars are next a players name, that player should fit the system and they need to be developed, and developed well.

Nebraska will never recruit as well or better than Alabama and Ohio St on a consistent basis. I'm not talking about beating them out for a recruit here and there, I'm talking about top 5 recruiting classes every year. That's never going to happen. Just like the success from the 90's isn't coming back.
Going into the weeds some, having 52freshamn on a team of 85 plus, and having last year so messed up, looking at our small classes of upper classmen and sophomores, guys like CTB, Jurgens,JoJo, Daniels, etc,i seems development is happening, but those guys other than Jurgens arent as highly rated as to whats/whos behind them, so raising the bar on the successes hasnt had time for that development yet, but more and more will start to show up from those 52.

I think this would be less a conversation and possibly more to look forwards to had covid not screwed up the practices and shortened a very late season.

Amen brother. I am not sure this staff can spell develop. I hope I am proved wrong, but it isn't looking good so far.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back