• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It's time for the B1G to get away from the 9 game conference schedule.

huskerman1

Scout Team
10 Year Member
As usual, the latest recruiting haul by the SEC and ACC underscores the need to get away from the 9 game conference schedule. The rich got richer and everyone else is an also ran. The B1G is so zeroed in on going to the Rose Bowl that they can't see the forest for the trees. The Rose Bowl is not the ultimate goal; the BCS games are, regardless of where they are.

Last edited:

As usual, the latest recruiting haul by the SEC and ACC underscores the need to get away from the 9 game conference schedule. The rich got richer and everyone else is an also ran. The B1G is so zeroed in on going to the Rose Bowl that they can't see the forest for the trees. The Rose Bowl is not the ultimate goal; the BCS games are, regardless of where they are.
If we do it this way (which I agree with), will our fans also be told they can't complain about our non-conference schedule being awful? Because that's really the entire point of an 8 game conference schedule. We aren't going to go from 9 to 8 conference games then be forced to find another Power 5 to schedule.

If you want to get in the playoff game, you need to be good enough to beat every team on your schedule. You shouldn’t shy away from tougher schedule

I don’t like the alternative to the 9 game schedule.

1) Only 2 cross divisional games instead of 3

-which also means-

2) A 4th non-conference game likely against a low D1 game against some directional school.

The SEC and ACC need will get eventually get punished someday because of strength of schedule. ***Alabama kind of did this past season****

If we do it this way (which I agree with), will our fans also be told they can't complain about our non-conference schedule being awful? Because that's really the entire point of an 8 game conference schedule. We aren't going to go from 9 to 8 conference games then be forced to find another Power 5 to schedule.

Bingo. Ask yourself who is Alabama playing in that extra non-con game. It sure as hell ain't USC, Ohio State, Notre Dame or Texas.

Going to 4 non-cons means picking up more Akrons, Utah States and UABs.

And actually, that's an upgrade over the SEC, given that the Big Ten has a strong precedent for only FBS teams. Alabama loads up on guys like Stamford, James Madison or directional colleges like North Central South Carolina A&M.

Last edited:

Did you look at Clemson's schedule last year? Have you looked at Alabama's non-conference schedule over the past several years?
At some point in time that will cost them. They’re the two premier programs in the country so they get the benefit of the doubt but if Clemson would’ve lost to North Carolina they might not have made the playoff. Alabama was hurt by their strength of schedule. At some time it will come into play.

Additionally it’s not like that 9th conference game is always against elite competition. This past year NU played Indiana, tOSU and Maryland.

Also I think the B1G is benefiting versus the B12 and Pac12 because of strength of schedule.

The ACC and SEC recruiting has ZERO to do with 8 conference games instead of 9.

Did you look at Clemson's schedule last year? Have you looked at Alabama's non-conference schedule over the past several years?
If Clemson and Alabama continue to schedule as they do - eventually they will get hurt by their scheduling. Look at the link I have included.

Alabama was ranked 47th (below Nebraska) ... having said that they lost to #2 Auburn and #10 LSU.

Clemson was 51st. They were also an undefeated P5 champion. That in itself is almost automatic inclusion. But if Clemson would've lost a game (remember they beat UNC 21 to 20) they likely would've been left out.

Yes - the non-conference scheduling for them has been weak but one of these years it might cost them!

For the most part, when we were in the Big 8, it was a weak conference except for Oklahoma and maybe one other team. And most of the time our non-conference schedule was nothing to brag about. We ruled that roost for 25 years.

Even considering SoS, isn't a win over a Wake Forest better than a loss to a USC?

The real reason for the 9th conference game is B1G$$$ and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Last edited:

To be fair to Clemson (ugh, I can't believe I just typed that), they always have South Carolina on their schedule and they scheduled A&M. That's a pretty good start. Bama on the other hand should be embarrassed by their nonconference scheduling.

I think there should be more uniformity between the P5 conferences. Each should have a nine game slate in conference. I'd actually prefer 10 conference games to eight.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back