• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It's Time For Contracts in College Sports

And what about the kids that don't? What about the o-linemen? You think they will ever get Arch Manning pay? Should we pay high school athletes too? Where do you draw the line?
I draw no lines.

If someone can make a buck because they are good at sports, go for it.

Ok then, I guess we sold out college sports so the Phil Knight's of the world can buy dynasties. I'm not saying college athletes don't deserve some money, but we are now past the point where college kids are amateur athletes. College sports are now the minor leagues and the idea that they are in college to actually get an education is a joke. You're ok with that?
I mean that’s one way to spin it.

I don’t think they have been “amateur” for a long time.

I am definitely ok with telling people it’s ok to get paid a lot when they are talented

Ok then, I guess we sold out college sports so the Phil Knight's of the world can buy dynasties. I'm not saying college athletes don't deserve some money, but we are now past the point where college kids are amateur athletes. College sports are now the minor leagues and the idea that they are in college to actually get an education is a joke. You're ok with that?
Have you seen anyone buy a dynasty since NIL went into effect? You're way misjudging people's desire to spend money on kids that haven't proven anything. A&M was the poster child for attempting to buy a team; it's now the poster child for why you can't buy a dynasty.

CFB players haven't been amateurs for a very long time. LP was driving a brand new Mustang in college.

What is likely to end up happening is that many schools will opt out of D1 and go back to a more more amateur model. You'll have 30-40 schools that stay D1 for football, the rest won't. Eventually those schools will work out transfer rules between themselves as well.

Have you seen anyone buy a dynasty since NIL went into effect? You're way misjudging people's desire to spend money on kids that haven't proven anything. A&M was the poster child for attempting to buy a team; it's now the poster child for why you can't buy a dynasty.

CFB players haven't been amateurs for a very long time. LP was driving a brand new Mustang in college.

What is likely to end up happening is that many schools will opt out of D1 and go back to a more more amateur model. You'll have 30-40 schools that stay D1 for football, the rest won't. Eventually those schools will work out transfer rules between themselves as well.
I hear ya, but a good qb in college apparently can get 1-2M, or at least that's what Rhule is saying. Unproven high school kids are seeing 7 figures already, so am I misjudging the desire to pay unproven kids? And make no mistake, there will be further attempts to buy dynasties. It may not work, as you mentioned, but it won't stop people from trying.

I hear ya, but a good qb in college apparently can get 1-2M, or at least that's what Rhule is saying. Unproven high school kids are seeing 7 figures already, so am I misjudging the desire to pay unproven kids? And make no mistake, there will be further attempts to buy dynasties. It may not work, as you mentioned, but it won't stop people from trying.
True. And NIL is still in its infancy - just because a dynasty hasn’t been bought yet doesn’t mean it won’t happen. The idiots at A&M just didn’t know how to cash in on their investment. I guarantee that Phil Knight (among others) is trying his best to do so…

I'm not ok with it, but that is what is happening, the game has changed

And what about the kids that don't? What about the o-linemen? You think they will ever get Arch Manning pay? Should we pay high school athletes too? Where do you draw the line?
I think the people paying them will draw the line.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back