• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It's Time For Contracts in College Sports

Ogahusker

All Big 10
20 Year Member
The transfer portal and NIL are still pretty new and it's obvious there needs to be some rather significant kinks to work out, but the NCAA isn't leading the charge. Pandora's box is open and things are a mess.
Smaller schools are getting their talent raided, players are bolting left and right for more money, better opportunities to play, better environments and coaches. All legit reasons, but it's the wild west out there. It needs to be reigned in.
Athletes want the big boy money with no responsibility or consequences and it's only going to get worse. Much worse. Not to mention players are opting out of playing in bowl games now. I don't believe the financial impact of these decisions will be sustainable much longer, especially for smaller schools.
That said, I think scholarships, transfers and NIL need to be more regulated. Whatever mechanisms are in place now are not enough. I think the athletes need to be held accountable for some very large decisions they make.
Put in place contracts stating that if they accept a scholarship, it will stipulate that they pay back their college if they leave. If they transfer, they forego one year of NIL. Sit out a year on the second or more transfer. (Any and all can be reviewed and a waiver granted) A cap on NIL needs to be part of the discussion as well. Should Bama, for example, be allowed to pay 5 million for a QB while a vast majority of schools simply cannot even come close to that, thus ensuring top talent will go to the highest bidder?

Lots to unpack, but the way it's structured now isn't working.

The transfer portal and NIL are still pretty new and it's obvious there needs to be some rather significant kinks to work out, but the NCAA isn't leading the charge. Pandora's box is open and things are a mess.
Smaller schools are getting their talent raided, players are bolting left and right for more money, better opportunities to play, better environments and coaches. All legit reasons, but it's the wild west out there. It needs to be reigned in.
Athletes want the big boy money with no responsibility or consequences and it's only going to get worse. Much worse. Not to mention players are opting out of playing in bowl games now. I don't believe the financial impact of these decisions will be sustainable much longer, especially for smaller schools.
That said, I think scholarships, transfers and NIL need to be more regulated. Whatever mechanisms are in place now are not enough. I think the athletes need to be held accountable for some very large decisions they make.
Put in place contracts stating that if they accept a scholarship, it will stipulate that they pay back their college if they leave. If they transfer, they forego one year of NIL. Sit out a year on the second or more transfer. (Any and all can be reviewed and a waiver granted) A cap on NIL needs to be part of the discussion as well. Should Bama, for example, be allowed to pay 5 million for a QB while a vast majority of schools simply cannot even come close to that, thus ensuring top talent will go to the highest bidder?

I vote you as the New NCAA commish, I think you are right a CBA for college is where this thing is headed

I vote you as the New NCAA commish, I think you are right a CBA for college is where this thing is headed

I think I would rather clean rest stop bathrooms than be a part of that cesspool. I envision their headquarters looking like a scene from Wolf of Wall Street.

Why should collective bargaining work here when it's never worked well anywhere else? Are coaches penalized for leaving? Schools for firing coaches? Do regular scholarship students have to pay back their scholarships if they leave for another school?

You can't regular NIL like you're describing because those are private contracts.

I'm not exactly sure what isn't working. 'bama isn't paying $5MM for a QB right now and likely never will. The dollars that went out initially have been way scaled back in terms of individual players. You don't have to look any further back than A&M to see buying doesn't equal winning.

I'm not saying there aren't problems/issues but we should identify those problems and then discuss the solutions.

The system is fantastic.

Players are finally compensated for their talents.

But are they? People are shelling out big bucks to kids who haven't played a single snap. And if you have the population and wealthy alumni like the Texas schools, California schools, etc. you have a huge leg up on a lot of schools.

But are they? People are shelling out big bucks to kids who haven't played a single snap. And if you have the population and wealthy alumni like the Texas schools, California schools, etc. you have a huge leg up on a lot of schools.
Some people are only concerned about themselves.

Petitti added that programs “can rise and fall very quickly” with players choosing to transfer, while the ACC’s Phillips said “multiple movements shown in the course of the student athlete’s career that they’re less likely to graduate.”

We need protection for our student athletes. You know, some of the situations that they find themselves in, trusting advisors that steer them in the wrong direction end up being really counterproductive and harmful,” Phillips said. In some cases, he said, “agents end up taking more of the income than goes to the student athlete or to their families.”

Last edited:
I think it’s great for the kids getting paid.

And if some dude wants to pay someone a bunch of money, who are we to say they can’t?

Ok then, I guess we sold out college sports so the Phil Knight's of the world can buy dynasties. I'm not saying college athletes don't deserve some money, but we are now past the point where college kids are amateur athletes. College sports are now the minor leagues and the idea that they are in college to actually get an education is a joke. You're ok with that?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back