• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"It's all in the Shoes"

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
It's all in the Shoes. Who Knew! :mad:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...-louisville-proves-short-lived-124454903.html

?....Jerry Meyer of 247Sports reported that Blakeney was under pressure from folks at Nike to at least look into other schools because the 6-foot-4 shooting guard plays for the Nike-affiliated AAU team Each One Teach One, and Louisville is one of adidas' flagship schools.

......"Nike infrastructure [and] those part of [and] affiliated helped Antonio Blakeney get where he is. Considered rash to commit after visiting one school."

The AAU system and the "coaches" are as crooked as $EC football recruiting. These coaches or advisers get nice rewards for sending their kids to a certain school. As an Adidas school, I hope the NCAA looks into Nike. I know nothing could or would be done, but give them some unwanted attention.

More and more every day, money makes this country what it is.

It would be great if somebody with credibility, like maybe a group of leading college coaches from schools with different contracts including Nike, would write an open letter saying something like, "Pressuring high school kids to make college choices based on equipment company business relationships is not good for them or the sport and is unacceptable."

But that ain't going to happen. In the old days this kind of thing would be considered beyond the pale. Now money determines all. Like Urban Outfitters selling a fake vintage Kent State sweatshirt with bullet holes and blood splatters.

Last edited:

and close that letter by saying we will not longer work for over $300,00 a year to lead by example.

I don't think they would even have to go that far. The equipment deals aren't wrong when they are confined to using and endorsing the equipment as a kind of advertising. I just think the colleges need to push back and say pressuring high school kids to choose a college that way isn't a kosher part of that business relationship. If a group of college coaches with ties to all the vendors just said publicly, "Uh uh - not part of the deal", Nike and the others would just stop this particular manoeuver. (Though they would always keep pushing elsewhere.)

Sometimes cynicism makes people, even those part of a business deal like that, just assume everything will inevitably go down to the lowest level, not realizing that sometimes they have enough leverage to set a boundary.

JMO.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back