• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It Gets Dumb and Dumberer

Is Nebraska the only college football program located in flyover country? Lots of midwest teams that get favorable press imo. Just saying....... ;)
I always think of Boise State. Of course, they haven't been on the big stage for a few years. But I don't think I've ever heard the media say a bad word about BSU. And they're more backwoods than we are.

Forde has legit points:

You know who else plays both Ohio State and Penn State this season? And Michigan? And in fact does it every season? Michigan State does. And Indiana. And Maryland. And Rutgers. Nebraska has spent the previous six seasons playing in the easier of the Big Ten’s two divisions, the West, which has won a grand total of zero league championship games since the current alignment started in 2014.

Despite playing in the easier division, Nebraska’s conference record in that time has been 23-29. Poor guys really do need — wait, deserve — a break.

But Moos wasn’t just complaining about playing what might be the two best teams in the Big Ten. He was also complaining about the order of the games. Ohio State is the opener, on the road, and you would not believe the horrors travel apparently presents to Nebraska.
Those are not legit points. Maryland and Rutgers are not playing the top teams in the west every year. This is not just a this year thing. Indiana is never a fair point to make. They are GUARANTEED Purdue EVERY year. We are playing the top three teams in the league in the first four weeks. The fourth team played in the BCG 2 years ago.

I always think of Boise State. Of course, they haven't been on the big stage for a few years. But I don't think I've ever heard the media say a bad word about BSU. And they're more backwoods than we are.
Because they were never allowed a legit shot at the ring. They were a nice story.

Those are not legit points. Maryland and Rutgers are not playing the top teams in the west every year. This is not just a this year thing. Indiana is never a fair point to make. They are GUARANTEED Purdue EVERY year. We are playing the top three teams in the league in the first four weeks. The fourth team played in the BCG 2 years ago.
Couple more years OSU and PSU will be crying they have to play Nebraska every year! ;)

Teams 4-7 in the East play OSU, PSU, and Michigan every year. And in some years they will also play Wisconsin. Forde is a D bag but the point is we don’t hear those teams crying about it. It makes me cringe to say he’s correct on this point.

Hay, I live out here man. Boise is a very nice city. :) Basically the national media pays very little attention to BSU. Kinda like the pay very little attention to anything on the west coast.

I am not going to disagree with anything Forde is saying, he is not wrong. He is just way over the top in his hammering on the subject. I just think he , the Missouri grad, is taking a lot of pleasure in twisting the knife.

Oklahoma might be the only one to fit that. Texas is from a big populated state so "of course they are good." The SEC has always gotten favorable coverage even in the days of segregation. Bear Bryant was a national hero. Nebraska has always been the school that refused to accept "our place." We have no big cities, we have never been a state with a lot of factories. We are just the state with a lot of corn. (I know this is not true but that is the perception out side. You live in CT outside of NY, most people in that area of the country can not find NE on a map.

Can't remembr where I saw it, but someone had a stat showing Nebraska was by far the least populace state to produce a natl champion in the last 40 years, perhaps outside of Utah (BYU 1984).

I just think it’s funny that Forde and some of the jerks at ESPN care so much about a middling program like Nebraska that they write and talk so much about it these last few yrs. The Huskers don’t deserve any of this media coverage based on where the team is currently in the pecking order in B1G. Until we get back into even the Top 20 on a regular basis, the Huskers should just shut up and play football. And the media should leave it covered as much as similar ranked (unranked) teams. That’s where we stand nowadays.

I just think it’s funny that Forde and some of the jerks at ESPN care so much about a middling program like Nebraska that they write and talk so much about it these last few yrs. The Huskers don’t deserve any of this media coverage based on where the team is currently in the pecking order in B1G. Until we get back into even the Top 20 on a regular basis, the Huskers should just shut up and play football. And the media should leave it covered as much as similar ranked (unranked) teams. That’s where we stand nowadays.
I honestly believe the coverage is because the Huskers still have a large and loyal following there's lots of CLICKS for these guys. This can be evidenced by the smallest totally inconsequential ridiculous article is commented on Husker forums. As you say Nebraska certainly isn't a Top 20 team and only being considered for anything other then canon fodder. lol Hopefully that's all fixing to change in the not to distant future.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back