• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is There a Younger O-Line in Division I ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you said, Will went to NU and couldn't make an NFL roster.

Fwiw, I don't think that Will would have got an offer from this staff if he hadn't already committed to Riley's staff. He was the smallest of the 4, so it was always an issue. Who should we blame for taking him and NOT being able to pack 30+ pounds of muscle onto his frame. Ditto for Jimmy Fritsche.

To keep going down that line of thought, I don't believe that Frost or Austin would have recruited Matt Farniok or Jaimes either. They started and did well because they were the best available O-linemen on the roster at their positions, but they don't fit the recruiting profile that Frost/Austin has recruited.

We haven't had anyone on the "3" deep all conference team. Isn't that a better Exhibit A than a single person?

Wouldn't you expect that by last year we would have had someone crack it?

I've asked multiple times now: Who? Who should have cracked the all-conference list? Winning would have got both Jaimes and Farniok on the list. Who else should have been there? Why do you say that? Are you just assuming that there were magical all-conference O-linemen out there, floating in the ether, that somehow Frost and Austin didn't recruit and develop?

I've gone into explicit detail. Show me some.

I've asked multiple times now: Who? Who should have cracked the all-conference list? Winning would have got both Jaimes and Farniok on the list. Who else should have been there? Why do you say that? Are you just assuming that there were magical all-conference O-linemen out there, floating in the ether, that somehow Frost and Austin didn't recruit and develop?

I've gone into explicit detail. Show me some.
Who is it on to bring in players good enough to be all conference?

You're acting like Frost and company are stuck with people they had nothing to do with.

9 schools managed at least one player on the 3 deep OL in those 3 years. We're in the minority here.

Translation: "I have nobody to name."

I'll address this anyway: Show me how many all-conference O-linemen were recruited by B1G West teams since Frost arrived? Frost only went after two in the '18 class, inheriting Will Farniok and striking out with Canty, but Jurgens was in that class and moved to Center. That would have been the best class to have had an all-conference O-lineman by now. Give me the numbers for our 6 other B1G West teams so that we have a benchmark for comparison.

You're acting like Frost and company are stuck with people they had nothing to do with.

You're acting like they weren't. O-line is the #1 position group that benefits from age and experience. Do you disagree with that statement? The D-line is probably #2, but the curve is shorter, and we're seeing how much better the D-line has been looking as Frost/Chinander play more and more of their guys. I really, really liked Freedom Akinmoladun, but does anyone believe that he was appropriate size to play a 3-4 DE in the B1G? He was the best we had, so he played. So it was and has been with the O-line.

This isn't that complicated, actually.

This is the sort of question that happens when your entire view of Nebraska football is viewed through the prism of Keep Frost or Fire Frost. Nowhere in the article did I say anything pro or against Frost, keeping or firing. @N_trepid didn't say anything obvious in the OP either. I talked about the O-line. Why are we incapable of just talking about the O-line? Yes, Frost is the head coach, but he isn't integral to discussing whether or not our O-lines have been veterans or newbies in the past few years. He isn't integral to discussing how well (or not) Coach Austin has done at developing them.

If you really, really, really want to focus on head coaches, etc., how about doing a deep dive into all of the O-linemen who Riley's staff left behind for Frost's staff to develop. The cupboards were incredibly bare. Did you read the article? If it takes about 3 years to develop O-linemen, and the good ones that we had either graduated after one year (Farmer and Foster) or were only sophomores in '18 (Jaimes and Farniok), what SHOULD you have expected from the O-line up to this point?

Here's another mini-assignment for anybody who cares: Let's compile a list of new coaching staffs that were instantly successful when they inherited precious few O-linemen who could compete at their league's level. I'm serious. I would like to dive into any of those coaches' teams to figure out how they did it... if they exist.
First off, I never said anything about firing Frost. Secondly, of course he was left a mess to a degree, or he wouldn’t have been replacing a fired coach. Thirdly, if we had seen these results with any other coach not named Scott Frost, he would probably be gone. Lastly, while I’m aware depth has to be built, there was enough talent at Nebraska to not go 13-21. At some point, the coach is liable for all aspects of the program.

Of course the OL is going to take some time, however, it is year 4. The trees should be baring fruit by now, in all aspects. Maybe it is and we will see it on the field in the coming weeks. I’m hoping so. I think most want that. While I respect your opinion about the OL, I’m not of the belief Nebraska has worse talent than a host of other schools far exceeding its production, with far less.

First off, I never said anything about firing Frost. Secondly, of course he was left a mess to a degree, or he wouldn’t have been replacing a fired coach. Thirdly, if we had seen these results with any other coach not named Scott Frost, he would probably be gone. Lastly, while I’m aware depth has to be built, there was enough talent at Nebraska to not go 13-21. At some point, the coach is liable for all aspects of the program.

Of course the OL is going to take some time, however, it is year 4. The trees should be baring fruit by now, in all aspects. Maybe it is and we will see it on the field in the coming weeks. I’m hoping so. I think most want that. While I respect your opinion about the OL, I’m not of the belief Nebraska has worse talent than a host of other schools far exceeding its production, with far less.

I would like you to try really, really hard to just stay focused on the topic and try your best to leave the rest out. The stuff you said about the O-line is reasonable. Stick with that.

Last edited:

9 schools managed at least one player on the 3 deep OL in those 3 years. We're in the minority here.
I guess a better question, since all anything teens to lean towards popularity, is how many big 10 schools put multiple offensive lineman into NFL rosters this year?

I guess a better question, since all anything teens to lean towards popularity, is how many big 10 schools put multiple offensive lineman into NFL rosters this year?
That is a good measure. I wonder how many of those schools that put multiple o-lineman in the NFL also had losing records over consecutive seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back