• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is Mike Brown The Best Husker Safety Ever?

Clarke was a good one as well.

That ‘81 defense was really good, but I tend to forget a lot of those guys because of how bad the ‘83 defense played.
Yet, interestingly, the very next year the '84 defense finished #1 in total defense. Bret Clarke was one of the leaders of that defense.

Brown was a stud. Best ever is so subjective, but he certainly earns being in that debate with few others. He is my favorite in my 50 years of watching red on Saturday.

Yet, interestingly, the very next year the '84 defense finished #1 in total defense. Bret Clarke was one of the leaders of that defense.
Clark (no “e” by the way) was good, but an earlier Safety who I would rate higher is Russell Gary. He started from 1978-1980 and was a first round pick by the Saints. He had a decent pro career also cut short by injury.

At the end of the day, there is no area of our defense that got upgraded in the 1990’s like the secondary. And this carried through into the aughts. I just don’t see these early guys being in the same league as Brown, Minter, Veeland and Bullocks.

Another thought, how do you think about Monster back, which is what we once called our Strong Safety. Don’t forget them. I think that would bring Wonder Monds and Joe Blahak into the discussion, but I think I’d rank them well below the 1990-2005 era Safeties.

Clark (no “e” by the way) was good, but an earlier Safety who I would rate higher is Russell Gary. He started from 1978-1980 and was a first round pick by the Saints. He had a decent pro career also cut short by injury.

At the end of the day, there is no area of our defense that got upgraded in the 1990’s like the secondary. And this carried through into the aughts. I just don’t see these early guys being in the same league as Brown, Minter, Veeland and Bullocks.

Another thought, how do you think about Monster back, which is what we once called our Strong Safety. Don’t forget them. I think that would bring Wonder Monds and Joe Blahak into the discussion, but I think I’d rank them well below the 1990-2005 era Safeties.
Russell Gary was a great player. However, I like Clark because of his athleticism and versatility. He was big and tall, but also very fast. And physical.

Remember, this was the era of the Big Eight. Most of the Big Eight teams featured run-heavy offenses, so in those days Nebraska needed a safety who could cover wide receivers, but also frequently come up in run support and slam into a big running back.

If Clark were playing today, he would probably be a linebacker because he was so big. His versatility was unique. That is part of the reason why he did so well in the pros until he was injured.

Bullocks was very good but isn't quite in the league of M Brown and M Minter

Wasn't his full name something like Wonderful Terrific Monds? or something like that?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back