• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is it just me?

maddog158

Recruit
2 Year Member
Or are Big Ten fans just jerks? I get so much flack over other teams beating us and I am sick of it.
Or is it because when we where great nobody could say anything?
I get the fact we all want to beat the other team, but where is the sportsmanship?

Or are Big Ten fans just jerks? I get so much flack over other teams beating us and I am sick of it.
I get the fact we all want to beat the other team, but where is the sportsmanship?

I honestly don't know.

I've lived in the South since before we left the Big 12, and have had just a handful of interactions with fans from other B1G schools. Down here there are a ton of Ohio State fans, who're mostly harmless. Of course some of that now is that they think of us similarly to how we used to think of Kansas or Oklahoma State. We're not really cause for concern. There are a handful of fans from other B1G schools I see fairly regularly at the gym and they're mostly quiet about it. One Michigan State fan and I talk a little about it, but it's not anything I'd consider flack. One Illinois fan who razzed me a bit last year after they beat us, but it wasn't anything nasty. Mostly just conversations about 'How are you going to do this weekend?' or 'Nice win/tough loss' kind of stuff. The last year or so it's been a lot of 'Did you see that terrible call?' That's pretty universal.

I see more interaction between ACC and SEC fans and that's mostly good natured, though the Clemson - South Carolina folks get a little chippy with each other. Everyone here is over Alabama fans and deservedly so. Georgia will soon follow as they're starting to get as bad.

To your question of 'where is the sportsmanship?' I think it's largely fading away and being replaced by 'Turnover chairs', 'Look at me' show boat celebration of nearly everything players do right on the field and that's kind of being adopted by the fans. I used to hear from my CU friends when I lived in Colorado about how we were 'such polite, good fans' because it's easy to be nice when you beat the snot out of everyone. I suppose there is some truth in that. We'll see if a return to playing quality football affords us another opportunity to be polite to the fans of teams we beat all the time. That would be outstanding to experience again.

I honestly don't know.

I've lived in the South since before we left the Big 12, and have had just a handful of interactions with fans from other B1G schools. Down here there are a ton of Ohio State fans, who're mostly harmless. Of course some of that now is that they think of us similarly to how we used to think of Kansas or Oklahoma State. We're not really cause for concern. There are a handful of fans from other B1G schools I see fairly regularly at the gym and they're mostly quiet about it. One Michigan State fan and I talk a little about it, but it's not anything I'd consider flack. One Illinois fan who razzed me a bit last year after they beat us, but it wasn't anything nasty. Mostly just conversations about 'How are you going to do this weekend?' or 'Nice win/tough loss' kind of stuff. The last year or so it's been a lot of 'Did you see that terrible call?' That's pretty universal.

I see more interaction between ACC and SEC fans and that's mostly good natured, though the Clemson - South Carolina folks get a little chippy with each other. Everyone here is over Alabama fans and deservedly so. Georgia will soon follow as they're starting to get as bad.

To your question of 'where is the sportsmanship?' I think it's largely fading away and being replaced by 'Turnover chairs', 'Look at me' show boat celebration of nearly everything players do right on the field and that's kind of being adopted by the fans. I used to hear from my CU friends when I lived in Colorado about how we were 'such polite, good fans' because it's easy to be nice when you beat the snot out of everyone. I suppose there is some truth in that. We'll see if a return to playing quality football affords us another opportunity to be polite to the fans of teams we beat all the time. That would be outstanding to experience again.
We're a cause for concern if their QB is Joe Bauserman :cool:

Gordon Liddy used to do this "parlor" trick where he would hold his hand over a flame in front of guests until his flesh burned. No flinching. Someone asked: what's the trick? He responded, 'the trick is not minding".

Don't give them the satisfaction of knowing it bothers you.

Living in a state where college football is mostly an unknown sport I generally hear nothing negative or positive. I suspect most of the people that see my red Husker hoody probably figure it has something to do with the Red Sox... :Lol:

Last edited:
I honestly don't know.

Same here. Live in the South, so am not around a lot of B1G fans. I find most fans of other teams pity us more than anything. That said, I also don't do anything to instigate nasty comments from other team's fans.

People in general have gotten more brash about the things they are willing to say in person, and I think a lot of that is a carry over from the things people feel like they can get away with saying on social media.

Same here. Live in the South, so am not around a lot of B1G fans. I find most fans of other teams pity us more than anything. That said, I also don't do anything to instigate nasty comments from other team's fans.

People in general have gotten more brash about the things they are willing to say in person, and I think a lot of that is a carry over from the things people feel like they can get away with saying on social media.

100%

The generation(s) that grew up with social media and all of the 'crap' posting that goes on there/here communicate like that in real life. They are then surprised when they've really pissed someone off.

Meh, We prolly deserve everything we get. NU instantly became the most obnoxious, yet "friendly" fanbase in the world after we beat Miami for Tom's 1st natty. After the beatdown we gave Florida the next year it became epic. Many fans honestly believed NU was the king of the world...and we were.

Yeah, the humble pie dinners the last decade seem to have been going on for far longer than needed, but that's karma I guess.

In the B1G in general I think there is a lot of hate towards other teams. They are used to being nasty towards each other. If you listen to a lot of die hard fans that have visited Nebraska for a game they actually find the good naturedness by Husker fans as unnerving and like some sort of psychological ploy.

I live in Idaho and people around here are BSU fans or Oregon fans for the most part. The BSU fans are a lot like Nebraska fans and are too worried about their own lousy season. Oregon fans are mostly band wagon fans.

One of our early games---I don't remember which one--I saw a young guy getting handcuffed outside of Gate 11. He wasn't inebriated or belligerent but kept asking "what did I do?". It was a Husker fan. It was at half. Another NU fan was arrested for spitting on Maryland player after the game. These are things I have never seen after being at every home game for decades. My first thought was: alcohol sales will not help this. Different generation I guess.

Nah, not really.

Better than Big12 jerks .....

In the B1G in general I think there is a lot of hate towards other teams. They are used to being nasty towards each other. If you listen to a lot of die hard fans that have visited Nebraska for a game they actually find the good naturedness by Husker fans as unnerving and like some sort of psychological ploy.

I live in Idaho and people around here are BSU fans or Oregon fans for the most part. The BSU fans are a lot like Nebraska fans and are too worried about their own lousy season. Oregon fans are mostly band wagon fans.
I really think the 1st sentence is very VERY true. I am usually confronted with WE ARE GOING TO KICK YOUR A$$. And when I respond with "good sportsmanship" they change their tune.

Or the time my wife and two girls where in Chicago for the NW game cheering very loud for our Huskers ( absolutely nothing bad was said and we where definitely in the minority) After the come from behind win for NW and a crushing loss, a NW lady turned around to my family and in a snark condescending tone said "Go big red!" Now my two daughters who where teenagers at the time (and well trained Nebraska fans) wanted to step in and take the lady out, I just replied, "You are real classy lady." The look on her face was priceless and I know she often thinks about that confrontation. HAHAHA

Whatever happened to acting like like you have done it before?

Grew up in Nebraska, now reside in Florida.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back