• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked is it just me or has bo gotten better at talking to media

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentwalz

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
for the first couple of years as head coach i was thinking just like everyone else that he was to bottled up and seemed like he didnt want to talk to the media. last year and this year it seems like he is getting better at talking to the media. there is still somethings that makes him mad but some of the questions i dont blame him for acting like thier dumb. the other thing i think hes getting better at recruiting. maybe not great yet but he is getting better.

maybe it is. i have been trying to make things look better than maybe they are cause i am tired of just jumping from coach to coach and not getting anything for it. cause no matter what kind of coach a person gets there is always going to be ruff times just look at texas or ou for example

He trys. Some.

Mostly, it's a distraction. Bo doesn't see this as a primary part of his job. I think that perspective hurts him. Lots of other coaches shmooze the media to their benefit (ala Mack Brown, Steve Spurrier), but it's in their personality. It takes a massive effort from Bo, and he's got his hands full with other projects.

He trys. Some.

Mostly, it's a distraction. Bo doesn't see this as a primary part of his job. I think that perspective hurts him. Lots of other coaches shmooze the media to their benefit (ala Mack Brown, Steve Spurrier), but it's in their personality. It takes a massive effort from Bo, and he's got his hands full with other projects.

This is something that Osborne never was very good at either, but he's gotten much better over the years to where now he's very good with the press. So it is something that can be learned and improved upon.

for the first couple of years as head coach i was thinking just like everyone else that he was to bottled up and seemed like he didnt want to talk to the media. last year and this year it seems like he is getting better at talking to the media. there is still somethings that makes him mad but some of the questions i dont blame him for acting like thier dumb. the other thing i think hes getting better at recruiting. maybe not great yet but he is getting better.

Yeah, I think he's gotten better. I notice him trying harder to give fuller answers and limit the condescending answers somewhat. Especially the last couple weeks, I really have liked his openness in the press conferences. Maybe he's stopped fighting it so much.

I have noticed he is better with the "halftime running to the locker room chat" than he used to be.....I still think he gets annoyed that he has to do the Sunday night Husker show...but I think he has mellowed some.

I have noticed he is better with the "halftime running to the locker room chat" than he used to be.....I still think he gets annoyed that he has to do the Sunday night Husker show...but I think he has mellowed some.

Yeah, those two or three sentences really put him out. :lol: That show is about worthless now.

Truer words have never been spoken!

If I recall, Osborne taped that show in the studio- not sure if it was even the same day as the game. Bo is doing the show on the field at what seems to be immediately following the game... not much insight or perspective is probably going to be present then, and I imagine he's pretty impatient to get it done.

I can't imagine the show in its present format and state adds anything to the Athletic Department's goals.

So it is something that can be learned and improved upon.

Agree. Reference Dan Gable. He was a gym rat as a coach in the beginning, and struggled to 'meet the press,' but he self-evaluated and decided that he needed to be a better public speaker. Took speech classes at Iowa and really worked at it. He's pretty serviceable as a speaker now. Of course, three time national champion and Olympic champion as a competitor, and 17 National NCAA National Championships as a coach does give him a little credibility.

Well, when they slow pitch 16 inch softballs at you for 5 years, sooner or later you hit a few of them. He's still striving for the Mendoza line though.

Last edited:

Agree. Reference Dan Gable. He was a gym rat as a coach in the beginning, and struggled to 'meet the press,' but he self-evaluated and decided that he needed to be a better public speaker. Took speech classes at Iowa and really worked at it. He's pretty serviceable as a speaker now. Of course, three time national champion and Olympic champion as a competitor, and 17 National NCAA National Championships as a coach does give him a little credibility.

I just did a little reading on Mr. Gable. I wonder if his relationship with the media was part of the reason he wasn't named Big Ten Coach of the Year until his 17th season, long after his Iowa teams had won nine consecutive NCAA championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back