• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is it a good sign or a bad sign if Dylan doesn’t start game one?

Do you remember the times under SF where the O line, at times formed a good pocket? It happened, and I believe this line this year is better and is being coached better to do that.
Injuries at wr hurt us badly last year, and to me whats telling is Boerkircher didnt get many passes, a veteran TE, fully capable and his numbers were down some too, when Fidone was still getting his legs.

I look at last year as a one off, an offense we won't see much of going forwards, and wr qb and rb rooms tore up pretty bad with injury.
We were too qb centric last year but only because of the qb run and it appeared our O line was sliding on their blocking leaving some room for those qb runs.
With HH, if he's in, this will be like a curve ball to the opposing D, and also make those D's have to prep for it, plus have better wrs to throw to with a more experienced and likely better throwing HH under center when he's in.
So having HH can be a big deal or not is the way I'm looking at this year.
I guess you are agreeing with me that it’s a whole team effort and the O-line plays a huge part in QB success? We just seem to differ as to how well our O-line has performed their role? I think the line improved. Sure, I’ve seen many plays where the offensive line formed a good pocket. But being able to do it once in awhile is not going to result in success. They were not able to provide consistent protection over a whole game and week after week.

The fact that the WR, TE, and RB rooms were suffering from injury last year simply emphasizes the point I’m making. Plug DR into last year’s situation and we probably don’t get many more wins than what we got. A lot of improvement must be shown across the board.

I hope the line takes a big step forward this year. It should help that we have a couple QB’s that are apparently capable of accurately getting rid of the ball quickly.

At this time the past two years, I expected to see great results out of the gate. Both times, the result was much different. Shouldn’t be a problem this year with Utep as the first opponent. But I’m just not going to go forward with the idea that everything will be “fixed” in the off season just because we have two true freshman QB’s and some promising additions from the portal.

I guess you are agreeing with me that it’s a whole team effort and the O-line plays a huge part in QB success? We just seem to differ as to how well our O-line has performed their role? I think the line improved. Sure, I’ve seen many plays where the offensive line formed a good pocket. But being able to do it once in awhile is not going to result in success. They were not able to provide consistent protection over a whole game and week after week.

The fact that the WR, TE, and RB rooms were suffering from injury last year simply emphasizes the point I’m making. Plug DR into last year’s situation and we probably don’t get many more wins than what we got. A lot of improvement must be shown across the board.

I hope the line takes a big step forward this year. It should help that we have a couple QB’s that are apparently capable of accurately getting rid of the ball quickly.

At this time the past two years, I expected to see great results out of the gate. Both times, the result was much different. Shouldn’t be a problem this year with Utep as the first opponent. But I’m just not going to go forward with the idea that everything will be “fixed” in the off season just because we have two true freshman QB’s and some promising additions from the portal.
Oh I agree. QB needs to be fixed, O line just needs to improve.
The O line didn't throw one int, and didn't cause many if any.

So in this aspect alone, the single greatest impact in the game, it matters, a whole lot.
Its being mentioned all the time every time.
Two years ago was the whiplash effect of O change. Last year was a safe bet, run the ball.
This years transition should be easier. We attempted it last year but Sims was a turnover machine and HH was just getting his feet wet as a college passing qb before the injuries to the wrs.
Imo, always easier going to a controlled passing game from a running attack than trying it from a basketball on turf approach.
Wiscy is struggling with their forced transition, I don't see that here as we tried even with what we had, and it slightly worked until HH got dinged up, but thats the price you pay playing that scheme.

All in on running like Huskers of old or all in like SC today, run or pass. It takes great play for balance, that of course is demanded by the O line with great qb play.

Oh I agree. QB needs to be fixed, O line just needs to improve.
The O line didn't throw one int, and didn't cause many if any.

So in this aspect alone, the single greatest impact in the game, it matters, a whole lot.
Its being mentioned all the time every time.
Two years ago was the whiplash effect of O change. Last year was a safe bet, run the ball.
This years transition should be easier. We attempted it last year but Sims was a turnover machine and HH was just getting his feet wet as a college passing qb before the injuries to the wrs.
Imo, always easier going to a controlled passing game from a running attack than trying it from a basketball on turf approach.
Wiscy is struggling with their forced transition, I don't see that here as we tried even with what we had, and it slightly worked until HH got dinged up, but thats the price you pay playing that scheme.

All in on running like Huskers of old or all in like SC today, run or pass. It takes great play for balance, that of course is demanded by the O line with great qb play.
Interceptions are often times JUST the QB. A good o-line can go a long ways in making a QB feel more comfortable in the pocket, give them more time, and help that QB make good decisions. We haven’t had that kind of consistent o-line play for awhile. The RB play and WR play both factor in as well to how the o-line performs.

Hopefully, you are correct and it’s all going to fall in place this season. The schedule sets up to help in that regard.

Interceptions are often times JUST the QB. A good o-line can go a long ways in making a QB feel more comfortable in the pocket, give them more time, and help that QB make good decisions. We haven’t had that kind of consistent o-line play for awhile. The RB play and WR play both factor in as well to how the o-line performs.

Hopefully, you are correct and it’s all going to fall in place this season. The schedule sets up to help in that regard.
Dont forget whats being emphasized and practiced. The pocket. We have guys who can do it, work as a unit instead of a more free wheeling one that allows for a qb to run, not because of pocket breakdowns but because of an over rush, where the D line loses contain.

Yes, we will lose those called qb runs for the most part, but I suspect we'll see a whole different approach this year, and our rbs and TEs will be called upon to be smarter pass blockers

The failure or success of this team will not be determined by one player, even the QB. Whether it would be a bad sign or not would depend on why the true freshman isn’t the starter. As it stands right now, DR would be hard pressed to ever play well enough to meet the expectations people are building in their own imaginations.
Why not, it pretty much did last year.

At 1.33 interceptions a game with only .833 TD passes per game, of course it does.
Or another way to put it, there are only two guys who touch the ball by far the most, the center, who does so less than a second each snap and the qb.
Holding onto the ball is paramount at the qb position, turnovers are paramount when it comes to the greatest impacts on games.

In a decent scenario, your qb would have a 2 to 1 TD to int ratio, which would have meant having 32 td passes last year. We had 10.
We haven't had even 20 td passes in a season since Lee, a year in which we ran 1290 yards for the whole team.

I'll add, even during the covid year we ran for 1611

Last edited:
I saw one of the practice videos where one of the teams won on a pick 6. The reality was it was a poorly throw ball behind the receiver into double coverage. It wasn't a good defensive play, just a really bad play by the QB that shouldn't be thrown by a college QB. Basically, what we saw all of last year.

I couldn't tell who the QB was. I almost hope it's HH though, because we need a real QB.
One play in a practice is all you need to make that assessment?

P.S. I believe it was DR who made the throw. Looks like 2024 is a lost season.

Last edited:

One play in a practice is all you need to make that assessment?

P.S. I believe it was DR who made the throw. Looks like 2024 is a lost season.

Yep. Throw the towel in. Season is a bust

143b8d36-714f-4b1f-afa4-af260f2ad8d4_text.gif

Last edited:

I envy folks like you that see the world in such simple terms. Everything is so easy for you intellectually. You look at last year and only see one issue where other more analytical people see many. While I am skeptical it’s as simple as you say, I really hope you “simple thinking” guys are right and plugging a new true freshman QB into the mix of a power 5 team will solve all the team’s prior woes. Maybe this will be as simple as you suggest. :Cheer2:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back