• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Is it a good sign or a bad sign if Dylan doesn’t start game one?

I think DK will probably be asked to limit his play to 4 games. Probably end of the season just in case of injuries. Here's why.

1. If DR is as good as we think he could be gone as soon as the end of year 2. Pros already want him.
2. If DK can red shirt this year that would still leave him 3 years to start
3. If DR goes down for 1-2 games HH has proved he can win, and his throwing motion has much improved.

DR like all college football players is not eligible for the draft until he has been in college for 3 years.

For the thread question - It's a bad thing, for DR not starting likely means he is hurt.

I think DK will probably be asked to limit his play to 4 games. Probably end of the season just in case of injuries. Here's why.

1. If DR is as good as we think he could be gone as soon as the end of year 2. Pros already want him.
2. If DK can red shirt this year that would still leave him 3 years to start
3. If DR goes down for 1-2 games HH has proved he can win, and his throwing motion has much improved.
FWIW, a player needs to be 3 years out of high school before being draft eligible.

We likely have a max of three years with Dylan. Either he goes pro after three, or he doesn't develop the way we hope (via injury, or just not developing) and leaves before exhausting his eligibility. Regardless, we need to get DK ready to play. At some point in the next two season Dylan is likely to get dinged up and need a break. Having someone that can still execute the style of offense installed for DR is important. Remaking the primary offense (beyond a package of plays) on the fly for a run first guy like HH would be a huge detriment.

I'm not a big believer that we need to protect DK's redshirt. Quite truthfully we need him ready as soon as we can. Last thing I would want to do is have our experienced third string quarterback getting game reps while our second string quarterback gets zero experience. Id say the chance of DK needing a fifth year HERE is fairly remote.

For the thread question - It's a bad thing, for DR not starting likely means he is hurt.

FWIW, a player needs to be 3 years out of high school before being draft eligible.

We likely have a max of three years with Dylan. Either he goes pro after three, or he doesn't develop the way we hope (via injury, or just not developing) and leaves before exhausting his eligibility. Regardless, we need to get DK ready to play. At some point in the next two season Dylan is likely to get dinged up and need a break. Having someone that can still execute the style of offense installed for DR is important. Remaking the primary offense (beyond a package of plays) on the fly for a run first guy like HH would be a huge detriment.
It depends. We are hearing our run game has stepped up a notch.
And a one two punch depending on who were playing, those new former pac teams for instance, running might be our best approach and I believe neither our wr room or HH is standing still

It depends. We are hearing our run game has stepped up a notch.
And a one two punch depending on who were playing, those new former pac teams for instance, running might be our best approach and I believe neither our wr room or HH is standing still
A quick sub to have HH run an option? Yes please! A package of plays to utilize HH's athleticism? Sure, why not. Our starting QB day in, day out? No thank you.

It's easy to forget how BAD HH was at throwing the ball. In conference he was 53/110 (48%), for 689 yards (137 ypg, not counting Maryland where he barely played), 3 td, and 7 picks. If you exclude Michigan, in which he had junk time stats, his completion % drops to 45.8% and the YPG to 122. The guy didn't have the awareness or accuracy to complete the throws needed for the offense to move

I love HH's commitment to the team and the heart with which he played. I don't doubt that HH is improving, but I don't see HH becoming a passable passer, thus I don't see him winning a QB derby.

I disagree partly. If we had a much better passing game last year, do you think not throwing all those ints and doubling or more our td passes would have gotten us to a decent bowl game?
Sure. If we had a better passing game last year things may have been better in the win loss column. But the QB was only one part of that failure. Receivers couldn’t consistently get open or run past the defenders and the O-line, while mildly improved, could not consistently run the called play and protect the QB. Both the WR and the line MUST improve for the next Nebraska QB to thrive. Maybe with an upgrade at QB we win a few more games. But it won’t get us where we want to be.

Of course this assumes we at least maintain our defense at the level they were at last year. But that isn’t guaranteed as new players replace others and other teams start adjusting to our defensive scheme.

It’s a full team effort.

Whatever happens, multiple someone's will be unhappy about it and proceed to tell us how the staff screwed it up.

200w.gif

I think, like I believe most of us on here think, I want the guy that actually "WINS" the starting job to start. I don't care if it's some guy we didn't even know was on the roster that wins the job, I want the guy that plays the best to start, that is the bottom line.
Exactly! A few freshman QB’s are quick studies and have all the necessary qualities (except experience) to be the starter. Obviously most freshman do not yet have all those necessary skills to start at P5 level and especially in the BIG. Another factor is if a teams current roster has some excellent QB's (like Texas) that 5 star freshman might have to wait their turn. Unfortunately we do not have that situation at Nebraska so it’s probable DR wins the starting job. I also do not care who starts only that the QB picked gives us the best chance to win! I really hope that's what will happen.....

Exactly! A few freshman QB’s are quick studies and have all the necessary qualities (except experience) to be the starter. Obviously most freshman do not yet have all those necessary skills to start at P5 level and especially in the BIG. Another factor is if a teams current roster has some excellent QB's (like Texas) that 5 star freshman might have to wait their turn. Unfortunately we do not have that situation at Nebraska so it’s probable DR wins the starting job. I also do not care who starts only that the QB picked gives us the best chance to win! I really hope that's what will happen.....
I saw one of the practice videos where one of the teams won on a pick 6. The reality was it was a poorly throw ball behind the receiver into double coverage. It wasn't a good defensive play, just a really bad play by the QB that shouldn't be thrown by a college QB. Basically, what we saw all of last year.

I couldn't tell who the QB was. I almost hope it's HH though, because we need a real QB.

A quick sub to have HH run an option? Yes please! A package of plays to utilize HH's athleticism? Sure, why not. Our starting QB day in, day out? No thank you.

It's easy to forget how BAD HH was at throwing the ball. In conference he was 53/110 (48%), for 689 yards (137 ypg, not counting Maryland where he barely played), 3 td, and 7 picks. If you exclude Michigan, in which he had junk time stats, his completion % drops to 45.8% and the YPG to 122. The guy didn't have the awareness or accuracy to complete the throws needed for the offense to move

I love HH's commitment to the team and the heart with which he played. I don't doubt that HH is improving, but I don't see HH becoming a passable passer, thus I don't see him winning a QB derby.
Let me reread the OP. If we are that slow to switch qbs, those packages will never exist.
Maybe my take that having an effective HH start the opener with playing time for our other qbs is off. But I wouldn't bet the farm.

Our opening opponent may not be able to handle our run game. Maybe DR gets in and plays some meaningful snaps and the next week he starts.
When we have a staff wanting guys who can play multiple positions, and have that as fact, MR said he wants the two frosh to be able to start. To me thats the standard, nothing more.
Those saying have the best man start are also not recognizing until you're in live fire, practice means little.
If everyone is treated the same, think of them the same.

Sure. If we had a better passing game last year things may have been better in the win loss column. But the QB was only one part of that failure. Receivers couldn’t consistently get open or run past the defenders and the O-line, while mildly improved, could not consistently run the called play and protect the QB. Both the WR and the line MUST improve for the next Nebraska QB to thrive. Maybe with an upgrade at QB we win a few more games. But it won’t get us where we want to be.

Of course this assumes we at least maintain our defense at the level they were at last year. But that isn’t guaranteed as new players replace others and other teams start adjusting to our defensive scheme.

It’s a full team effort.
Do you remember the times under SF where the O line, at times formed a good pocket? It happened, and I believe this line this year is better and is being coached better to do that.
Injuries at wr hurt us badly last year, and to me whats telling is Boerkircher didnt get many passes, a veteran TE, fully capable and his numbers were down some too, when Fidone was still getting his legs.

I look at last year as a one off, an offense we won't see much of going forwards, and wr qb and rb rooms tore up pretty bad with injury.
We were too qb centric last year but only because of the qb run and it appeared our O line was sliding on their blocking leaving some room for those qb runs.
With HH, if he's in, this will be like a curve ball to the opposing D, and also make those D's have to prep for it, plus have better wrs to throw to with a more experienced and likely better throwing HH under center when he's in.
So having HH can be a big deal or not is the way I'm looking at this year.

Last edited:

IMHO, the only way Raiola doesn't start is if he's hurt. If that happens, it'll be Kaelin. We haven't had 2 QBs like that--actual QBs--in a long time. Haarberg's going to have a role, but it will be in packages or if DR and DK can't go. I like the kid. He's got guts and toughness and is a great athlete. But he's highly limited in what he can do.

But, no . . . I think we're ok if Raiola doesn't start.

He did all that with the teams knowing he was a major threat to run. Imagine how bad the passing would have been with the defenses playing for it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back