• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Is Basketball Easier to Rate Players than Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonagHusker

Recruit
5 Year Member
Doing a little pre-spring cleaning and came across a bunch of Scout.com magazines from the mid 2000s. I was struck by the players I didn't know on the football side, but the basketball side was so much different.

Of their 2007 post-summer Top 100 baskeball players (including players like Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, and Derrick Rose), I looked at the top 20. All but maybe three or four played in the NBA at one time (most of those are still in the league) and I think just a couple failed to make it professionally at all and I think those two had some arrest/legal issues that may have played a role.

For ther class of 2008 (I guess Jrs in HS) -- Everyone listed in the top 10 played in the NBA (except one who had knee injuries in college), all currently play professionally (I think 7 of 10 in the league currently).

For the class of 2009 (Sophs in HS?) -- It looks like five of the top 10 didn't make it to the NBA, but all of those play professionally overseas.

Just looking at the 2007 HS All-American class, it looks like 12 of 22 players made it to the NFL, which is much closer to the % of the HS Soph class for the NBA and certainly nowhere near the %s of the 2007 and 2008 basketball classes.

What makes it easier to rate HS basketball players at a fairly succesful % even down to those athletes a few years out? Does it come down to players peaking younger at basketball and it being less of a team game than football, or that there are more amble opportunities to turn pro at a younger age than their football counterparts?

I just happened to find it really interesting and thought I'd share.

Basketball players are obviously much closer to their "finished product" coming out of h.s. At least the cream of the crop.

Less likelihood for major injury.

Less "competition" once they get to college...a high profile forward will probably come in and play right away. A qb usually won't...if ever.

Basketball is a simpler game. From level to level the skill and athleticism increases but the general concepts dont. College football is way more complicated than h.s....and NFL is more complicated than college.

Most top basketball players play on AAU teams, and scouts are able to see how well they perform against one another on a local and national scale.

Finding 6'10" that has coordination makes for a short list.

Last edited:

Most top basketball players play on AAU teams, and scouts are able to see how well they perform against one another on a local and national scale.

yep...there's more "good on good" competition. Football...not so much in a lot of cases.

I would think the amount of physical development needed between the levels of football is much greater than needed for basketball. Thus, if a football player has come close to maxing out in highschool, his chance of getting to the professional level is much less than a basketball player in the same situation.

In addition to this there are regional leagues in places like chicago where they have different levels of teams. Level A includes former NBA and college stars as well as top High school kids. Level B is one step below etc. I know because my son plays in the B level league in Chicago. The best player on his team got offered a shot at playing in China. There is not such cross level leagues in football. Nor should there be. As the potential for serious injury is too great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back