• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Irritating Sipple comment

I live near Manhattan and work in Manhattan. There was certainly a sense among the fan base that Snyder needed to retire and some fear his son would be elevated. The departure of Currie a couple of years earlier was due to conflict with Snyder but the football coach won, not the AD (not that that should always be the outcome but Pelini's assessment of HP and SE was equally crass and accurate). I don't think the dysfunction in the KSU program was even in the same galaxy as the Perlman/Eichorst/Riley cluster. I get that it's time to quit using those circumstances as an excuse but I think things in Lincoln were an utter dumpster fire that was closer to what Bill Snyder started with than what he left.

The thing about Sipple is that he hinted often during the Perlman/Eichorst era at the meddling and dysfunction but would never spell it out. He knew the truth but wasn't willing to sacrifice his standing with the Athletic Department to expose the issues. We had several threads on here where folks would staunchly defend the great character of Harvey Perlman. Even those of us who saw it in less black-and-white terms (I think HP was good for the academic side of the university but a complete disaster for the athletic department) were criticized as being conspiracy theorists for thinking HP could do anything wrong. From my perspective, Sipple either needs to back up his current statements by having the cajones to put the past dysfunction in print or let it go. I'm OK with either. It might make people more inclined to patience if they really understood the condition of the program at the end of the HP/SE era. On the other hand, we are what we are and it's the decisions from here forward that will determine our future.

I look forward to the day that performance on the football field renders these discussions moot.

Sorry, but that’s not even close to being accurate. Klieman walked into a solid, structured team, a team of guys used to being a part of a hard working, intelligent program. Does anyone see that being a part of our recent formula?

None of us is pleased with the regression and performance of the team, and the staff has either not done their jobs, or grossly underestimated the changes that needed to be made. However, downplaying buy in as a critical issue is a mistake. Does anyone think we have a cohesive locker room? Do the guys seem connected with each other as we’d expect? Buy in goes well beyond commitment to a staff, it’s also about commitment to what they are doing, and who they will do it with. Its painfully obvious this group of players haven’t EVER bought in to this program. They haven’t had proper leadership, be it in the locker room, or on the sidelines. Frost didn’t do things perfectly, but I doubt any adjustments in how they coached, or things they said were going to produce some miraculously cohesive team. The best thing that can happen at this point is graduation, and some trips to the portal.
So you're saying this team, 70% of which has been recruited by this staff, hasn't bought in to the program and isn't getting proper leadership from this staff?

I live near Manhattan and work in Manhattan. There was certainly a sense among the fan base that Snyder needed to retire and some fear his son would be elevated. The departure of Currie a couple of years earlier was due to conflict with Snyder but the football coach won, not the AD (not that that should always be the outcome but Pelini's assessment of HP and SE was equally crass and accurate). I don't think the dysfunction in the KSU program was even in the same galaxy as the Perlman/Eichorst/Riley cluster. I get that it's time to quit using those circumstances as an excuse but I think things in Lincoln were an utter dumpster fire that was closer to what Bill Snyder started with than what he left.

The thing about Sipple is that he hinted often during the Perlman/Eichorst era at the meddling and dysfunction but would never spell it out. He knew the truth but wasn't willing to sacrifice his standing with the Athletic Department to expose the issues. We had several threads on here where folks would staunchly defend the great character of Harvey Perlman. Even those of us who saw it in less black-and-white terms (I think HP was good for the academic side of the university but a complete disaster for the athletic department) were criticized as being conspiracy theorists for thinking HP could do anything wrong. From my perspective, Sipple either needs to back up his current statements by having the cajones to put the past dysfunction in print or let it go. I'm OK with either. It might make people more inclined to patience if they really understood the condition of the program at the end of the HP/SE era. On the other hand, we are what we are and it's the decisions from here forward that will determine our future.

I look forward to the day that performance on the football field renders these discussions moot.
Well said.
I agree with everything.

Our “problems” are no worse than what Kansas State and Klieman inherited, certainly not in year 2 of a new coach and new AD. They certainly aren’t worse than what was going on at Baylor where they were trying to avoid the death penalty. It’s just another narrative and form of marketing propaganda like “they didn’t squat” or “their fat was going up and muscle down” or “buy-in” to calm the masses. I get it.

If we play like we did against Wisconsin, we beat Colorado, Indiana, and Purdue. Why were they able to buy-in then but not other times? Why was buy-in not an issue at the end of 2018? Why was Saturday the first time I actually saw improvement in guys like Martinez, Mills, Thomas, etc. since 2018?

There’s mirrors everywhere in north stadium, it’s time to look in one of them.

I'm sure you and many on this board have played athletics.....simply put, not every game is going to be your best. If you always played your best game when you played, well, you probably didn't.

So you're saying this team, 70% of which has been recruited by this staff, hasn't bought in to the program and isn't getting proper leadership from this staff?
70% of the team are freshmen or sophomores ... you don't win championships playing that many young kids.

Sipple makes a statement in the above article he wrote that irritates me and should irritate all Nebraska fans. I quote

l

"But that would be an overly simplistic way to size up the situation. He inherited a mess so unwieldy that it's difficult to convey in limited space."

If as Sipple says he " inherited a situation so unwieldly" where was he and all the other sport writers. Why were they not so informing the Nebraska fan base of the mess within the Nebraska football program/sports department if that is what existed? Is not the free press supposed to be the eyes and ears of its reading public reporting fact. I do not recall one article written by those following the program suggesting an "unwieldy mess" in the last xx years. Guess what I am saying to that press is show some b**ls and report what you see and hear. Your readers would appreciate some honesty in reporting. We are tired of hearing sunshine pumping bs relative to practice performance, S&C performance, etc. Nebraska has a football fan base with a very, very high football IQ resulting from watching Osborne coached teams for years. Report what you see and hear allowing the fan base to deal with the facts---please.
I have no problem with his statement whatsoever.

Sorry, but that’s not even close to being accurate. Klieman walked into a solid, structured team, a team of guys used to being a part of a hard working, intelligent program. Does anyone see that being a part of our recent formula?

None of us is pleased with the regression and performance of the team, and the staff has either not done their jobs, or grossly underestimated the changes that needed to be made. However, downplaying buy in as a critical issue is a mistake. Does anyone think we have a cohesive locker room? Do the guys seem connected with each other as we’d expect? Buy in goes well beyond commitment to a staff, it’s also about commitment to what they are doing, and who they will do it with. Its painfully obvious this group of players haven’t EVER bought in to this program. They haven’t had proper leadership, be it in the locker room, or on the sidelines. Frost didn’t do things perfectly, but I doubt any adjustments in how they coached, or things they said were going to produce some miraculously cohesive team. The best thing that can happen at this point is graduation, and some trips to the portal.
When a true Freshman calls out upper classmen, there may be a problem.

Kleiman is a great coach. Frost is the right guy.
Seems like you're almost testing the waters in this thread and others of late, which is refreshing. Your mind is exceedingly sharp and your integrity is evident. Please, explain how you know the bolded is true. You didn't say "probably" rather you declare it as fact. Asking for a friend.

I have to call you on the comments on KState and Kleiman. K State had a stable probram prior to Kleiman taking over. Snyder was old, but had only had 2 losing seasons in the past decade and I don't think anyone says that Snyder couldn't coach and develop players at a high level.

Kleiman was a very good coach and a great choice to replace Snyder. If we'd had similar coaching decisions in the past we may not be where we are... that said, I think Frost is the right guy still
I agree here somewhat....but what you are saying is that the last 8-9 Top 25 recruiting classes have all been busts and producing no Top 25 Talent? It boils down to development and player want-to and from the defense on Saturday....I saw a lot of guys not wanting to get physical, especially with the shoulder hits up high....player's want-to and buy in have to come from coaching.....KSU, Baylor, SMU, Cincy, UNC....its coaching and I think Frost needs to stop blaming talent disparity and players not buying in.....bc numbers don't lie and the fact we've consistently brought in Top 25 classes the last decade and are where we are is coaching....

Seems like you're almost testing the waters in this thread and others of late, which is refreshing. Your mind is exceedingly sharp and your integrity is evident. Please, explain how you know the bolded is true. You didn't say "probably" rather you declare it as fact. Asking for a friend.
He is because he has to be. If he fails there is no recovering from this in the near-term.

Frost is widely lauded by external people to be the right guy needing more time - Herbstreit for example. Many others to cite if you so wish.

We've tried the outsider route - Riley/Callahan - didn't work.
We've tried up-and-coming newcomer - Pelini - didn't work.

Frost's pedigree - Stanford, NC at NU, NFL, Oregon, UCF ... is virtually unparalleled.

If not him then who? Who is out there that is better hire than SF? The list is awfully small with no guarantee that anyone on that list would want to come!

I agree here somewhat....but what you are saying is that the last 8-9 Top 25 recruiting classes have all been busts and producing no Top 25 Talent? It boils down to development and player want-to and from the defense on Saturday....I saw a lot of guys not wanting to get physical, especially with the shoulder hits up high....player's want-to and buy in have to come from coaching.....KSU, Baylor, SMU, Cincy, UNC....its coaching and I think Frost needs to stop blaming talent disparity and players not buying in.....bc numbers don't lie and the fact we've consistently brought in Top 25 classes the last decade and are where we are is coaching....

I won't go that far. I think we've brought in some good talent, but attrition and switching costs has really depleted that talent (and the ability to develop it).

We've had the worst of all worlds in our switches. Every switch has been a drastic switch since Solich. Power I/Option to WCO to sort of WCO for a year and then to spread, then to pro style then back to spread. We've had some similar switches on D, if not as drastic

Add in changes to S&C, changes in how practices are run, recruiting philosophy changes (Pelini didn't recruit like Riley and neither recruited like Frost).

IMO, you need talent.. "Jimmies and Joes", but fit determines how far that raw talent can go. Our utter lack of consistency has led to an ugly situation

He is because he has to be. If he fails there is no recovering from this in the near-term.

Frost is widely lauded by external people to be the right guy needing more time - Herbstreit for example. Many others to cite if you so wish.

We've tried the outsider route - Riley/Callahan - didn't work.
We've tried up-and-coming newcomer - Pelini - didn't work.

Frost's pedigree - Stanford, NC at NU, NFL, Oregon, UCF ... is virtually unparalleled.

If not him then who? Who is out there that is better hire than SF? The list is awfully small with no guarantee that anyone on that list would want to come!
OK... finally... someone gives an answer to this question which resonates in my tiny mind. Thank you for taking the time to answer this.

It wouldn't hurt if he would quit publicly saying that we need better players... not sure that does a lot for morale in the locker room.
”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools”.

Frost’s is the fourth staff that has done this, and it has irritated me every time and I hold it against everyone, Frost included.

Really good/great coaches do not do this.

Actually, minimally competent coaches do not do this.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back