• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Interesting opinion on soccer's future in the US.

I have come around on it and have at least got to the point where I can watch the game and realize that even though it looks like nothing is happening, there is something happening

Last edited:

People have been saying the same thing now for years....It just isnt going to happen that soon....

Too many people still view soccer as a beginning sport....that sport that you put your 5, 6, or 7 year old just to get them involved in organized activities, and they play it for a few years until they can play a better sport....

I don't really agree with the "beginner" sport idea on soccer anymore. IMO, that had more to do with parents who knew nothing of the game, but knew youth soccer was a much better alternative to t-ball, in terms of getting their kids active. Now that kids who grew up playing soccer through high school start having kids, why would they move their kids away from playing the sport? It's been a slow generational process.

Getting back to the topic of the MLS become the 2nd most popular sport, I look at it this way. Twenty years ago, I considered myself lucky if I caught a USMNT game on TV. Now I'm upset if I miss a Sporting KC game on TV. That's a long ways to go for a sport in such a short time.

Actually I have no problem with other folks opinions...Dotsee, 4ever, Prorkchop etc. etc etc....we get along fine and have a great discourse...and have for the past 4-5 years...and we laugh and tease alot....then again they understand the game and have a keen eye for talent....

Bradley you were his worst critic on this board and were vocal about it.....and you were wrong and still won't admit it....

You do realize why Bradley was not playing at Aston Villa right? I'll be glad to tell you why if you would like....then again you should already know....

And he has developed light years since he left Aston Villia??....LOL....now thats rich....just admit it you were wrong....the only one questioning Mike Bradley was the Bob Bradley hating club....anyone who understands soccer knew why he was on the USMNT from the start....you are the only person on this forum who doesn't get that....and that is a fact....the other guys had it figured from day one....the guy is a stud....amazing how hatred for a coach will blind people towards the talent his son has...

Then again you were the guy who was all for Castillo, Orazaco-Fiscal and Bunbury too....when I tried to tell you and as did others.....heck Bunbury is not even starting for KC this year...go figure....

Beckerman your wrong about then and still are...best holding midfielder in MLS....and just watch the games weekly and hear what the announcers from other teams say about him....they do not agree with you either...

Based on your batting record of who should play and not play for the USMNT, I'll take what you say with a grain of salt because your wrong more than your right and its all on the pages of this forum to look at....-....and my advice again to you is start watching the leagues on a weekly basis....its pretty obvious you don't do that....your slamming of Bradley is a prime example....

Bottom line is your opinions are welcome even if we disagree....the banter I have with other folks is fine and we get along fine and learn from each other....Dotsee is the Bundasliga/USMNT expert....knows his stuff....Pork is a huge Chelsea/USMNT fan and knows his stuff too....4ever is involved in the game from his sons team to USMNT to MLS to soccer in Europe....knows his stuff too......as does HnC....and I could go on and on we have some great folks on here....)....have tons of respect for these guys and have learned from them and they know I do as I tell them all the time.....:)

Oh and thanks for the grammer lesson....:) My wife often reminds me of such stuff....so I appreciate it.....:)

I actually like you and the spirit you bring to the board....so no disrespect intended or given....peace...:)

Your MB colored glasses must be too mucked up again to see anything other than what you want again.....I'll say it again, I don't dislike MB.....I've actually liked him from when he first stared playing for Heerenveen....He's a great defensive midfielder....But that doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't have been an automatic fixture while he wasn't playing for club......that is all.....nothing else but that....His dad is a whole different discussion, which we don't even need to get into....You know my opinion, I know yours, end of story

And if you cant see that MB has improved dramatically over the last 2 years, then that's your own problem....because I think its pretty obvious....His passing had drastically improved over the last couple years, and his positional awareness has also greatly improved - which could also be attributed to coaching style, both club and MNT.....He used to run around like a chicken with his head cut off...

And so I'm supposed to think Beckerman is great just because you and a couple announcers say so? Did you believe everything Harkes and Wynalda said when they were calling games? Once again, your opinion is duly noted....I disagree....thats the cool thing about being able to have one, and you can have as many as you want.....But it sure as heck doesn't mean the bible, no matter how much you think so

And finally, you totally missed my point with the players you listed I was "all for"....I wanted to see what they had, because what we were currently fielding just wasn't cutting it, not to mention getting old.....Why not try out some guys in a couple friendlies who may or may not be the answer...Orazaco-Fiscal was brought in to play a different style of play than what the MNT was used to, a more possesion style of play, passing out of the back, and Castillo was brought in because we haven't had a left back in years....Did it work out? Obviously not, but what did it hurt? Now we can move on and try out some other guys.....As far as Bunbury, hes still just 22, and has been good every where hes been, including the Canadian Youth National teams, and winning the Hermann Award in 2009.....As hard of a time as we have had finding goal scorers for the MNT, is calling a guy that can score goals into the team that bad of an idea? I get you don't like him, fine.....But he's every bit as good as Findley, Wondo, Cunningham, or Sapong, who are some of the other forwards brought in over the last 2 years

You can have the last word I've made my point and all who post on here know where you stand....I've got better things to do with my time....

Peace...:)

Your MB colored glasses must be too mucked up again to see anything other than what you want again.....I'll say it again, I don't dislike MB.....I've actually liked him from when he first stared playing for Heerenveen....He's a great defensive midfielder....But that doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't have been an automatic fixture while he wasn't playing for club......that is all.....nothing else but that....His dad is a whole different discussion, which we don't even need to get into....You know my opinion, I know yours, end of story

And if you cant see that MB has improved dramatically over the last 2 years, then that's your own problem....because I think its pretty obvious....His passing had drastically improved over the last couple years, and his positional awareness has also greatly improved - which could also be attributed to coaching style, both club and MNT.....He used to run around like a chicken with his head cut off...

And so I'm supposed to think Beckerman is great just because you and a couple announcers say so? Did you believe everything Harkes and Wynalda said when they were calling games? Once again, your opinion is duly noted....I disagree....thats the cool thing about being able to have one, and you can have as many as you want.....But it sure as heck doesn't mean the bible, no matter how much you think so

And finally, you totally missed my point with the players you listed I was "all for"....I wanted to see what they had, because what we were currently fielding just wasn't cutting it, not to mention getting old.....Why not try out some guys in a couple friendlies who may or may not be the answer...Orazaco-Fiscal was brought in to play a different style of play than what the MNT was used to, a more possesion style of play, passing out of the back, and Castillo was brought in because we haven't had a left back in years....Did it work out? Obviously not, but what did it hurt? Now we can move on and try out some other guys.....As far as Bunbury, hes still just 22, and has been good every where hes been, including the Canadian Youth National teams, and winning the Hermann Award in 2009.....As hard of a time as we have had finding goal scorers for the MNT, is calling a guy that can score goals into the team that bad of an idea? I get you don't like him, fine.....But he's every bit as good as Findley, Wondo, Cunningham, or Sapong, who are some of the other forwards brought in over the last 2 years

Last edited:
I have come around on it and have at least got to the point where I can watch the game and realize that even though it looks like nothing is happening, there is something happening

Something is happening, I just don't care for it. But I can watch hours of poker so to each their own.:)

I think red reign is right.

To compare, TO played pro for a year or two and has a joke how after the preseason the team told him he owed them money based on assessments like 50 $ for a missed block or dropped pass, hotel rooms etc. The NFL has come a long way. Baseball was were the money was at then

I have the opinion, anecdotally and locally, that kids pick soccer over everything but football. We are getting the best athletes in soccer, at least here, because the soccer high school season runs thru the spring. By high school the special players are pretty dang evident.

I think maybe in the next 3 world cups we make the semis.

I think 20 years from now baseball is kaput, not a lot of interest in the younger generation. Voila, we need something to follow in the spring. And no baseball won't ever go away but it will trade places as far as relevance....with soccer. My crazy opinion, with no dog in the fight.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back