• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Interesting comment by Barfknecht

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcbsas

All Big 10
20 Year Member
In his articl about Bill Byrne's tenure at Nebraska he (Barfknecht) made a comment about the TO-Frank Solich transition.

One frustration for Byrne was never getting to hire a football coach at Nebraska. A deal already had been made for Frank Solich to step in when Osborne retired after the 1997 season.

Byrne did his due diligence, just in case. Word came later that conversations had occurred with Mack Brown, now at Texas but then at North Carolina.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120508/BIGRED/705089888/1001

I did not know Mack Brown would've been a candidate to succeed TO. Would have been an intersting transition to say the least!

I had heard about the Mack Brown brewing back in 97....

Part of the problem with football is I fear TO had MEDDLED too much in that aspect, yes he had a right to have some say in the hiring and whatnot with regards to football, but at that time, he really shouldn't have meddled as much as he did then because he was still too close to everyone there at the time. He's doing better now as a AD because he's not as close to everyone and was able to separate issues and people/unbiased judgement.

I know I've said that I didn't like Byrne but thinking back, he did do a good job in hindsight. Kudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back