• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Injuries...Piper and Kemp...

1698089794157.png

That's a shockingly young line.

Just for comparison:
-Michigan: 7 Seniors/Graduates; 2 RS SO; 1 RS FR
-Georgia: 1 Senior; 4 Juniors; 4 RS SO; 1 RS FR

Last edited:

These injuries are strange. Not blaming anyone, but this is totally abnormal and I hope they can get to the root cause.
The root cause may simply be that football is a contact sport, and outlier events do happen. I can't think of a staff that gave more due diligence to taking care of the players' health and body recovery. Maybe some of these injuries are things guys may have played through (ill-advised) under some other staffs? (I'm totally speculating.) But I don't think there is some smoking gun to blame other than crazy bad luck.

I do find it interesting that the fast majority of the injuries are coming in games and not during practice, when the team is admittedly a lot more physical in practice than it has been in many years.

For lack of talent, mechanics, strength, or whatever, I think that our line is often overwhelmed. As a consequence they find themselves playing from a poor position. When you are doing the dominating, the other guy is more likely to be injured. When you are being dominated, you are going to become the injured.

These injuries are strange. Not blaming anyone, but this is totally abnormal and I hope they can get to the root cause.
Maybe this has been mentioned, but there was all the talk at the beginning of the year about the o line not wearing those braces so many o lines do, asserting it would increase mobility. Would the braces have helped on the injury front?

There really is a silver lining here. These young guys are going to get live reps which will help for next year. We'll take our lumps with young mistakes and under-developed physical tools today, but oh well.
But...this really goes against the plan HCMR had in terms of using the redshirts for as many offensive linemen as possible. We are going to lose out with several kids now that Piper and Corcoran are out for the year.

I'm beginning to wonder, with all this work towards flexibility and away from mass is causing joint stresses. It takes longer to adjust your body to flexibility while maintaining the same needs imo

But...this really goes against the plan HCMR had in terms of using the redshirts for as many offensive linemen as possible. We are going to lose out with several kids now that Piper and Corcoran are out for the year.

Good point. Teddy is filling in for Corcoran and Justin for Piper. Henry is filling in for Nouri. I don’t think any of these would be in the running for a redshirt. It’s the back ups to our new starters. And we have 5 more games plus maybe one or two more if we win. Something to consider, but if we win it’s still something we can grow from. I am thinking they can manage and minimize the risk to blowing red shirts barring more injuries.

We'll see how he manages it. If they've qualified for a bowl (in the next 2 games if I'm optimistic) maybe we'll see musical chairs where they only play 4 games. He's said that he'll always make those decisions in the favor of the player.

That said, if I guy gets the majority of the snaps in half the season (plus bowl game) that may cross that threshold to be 'worth it'.

By "lose out" do you mean certain recruiting targets may decide not to sign with the Huskers? Because redshirting a guy after his freshman year is unusual except in case of injury, I would think a HS OL might see this as an opportunity rather than a problem. Certain guys are likely to only be in the program four years instead of five.

Maybe this has been mentioned, but there was all the talk at the beginning of the year about the o line not wearing those braces so many o lines do, asserting it would increase mobility. Would the braces have helped on the injury front?
Piepers injury was said that he was rolled up on straight into knee and it was a dislocation. Braces only protect sides. Corcoran is a foot. He declined to say what Nourellis injury was. WR aren’t wearing braces. I’m just going with total fluke this year.

Last edited:
EJ is a very good OL for a freshman. He was offered by Alabama and Texas A&M so he has recognized potential and a good body for guard and center. I expect he will develop into a stud lineman.
The hope is these young OLmen progress and develop like some of the young players on defense! They now have an opportunity, now is the time to show what u can do!!!!!

I was at the game and sat, for the 1st time, in the North end zone seats (didn't have access to my regular tickets). But the good part that, with these seats, I was directly behind the line (D & O) so I saw the play from a more straight on instead of my usual 45 degree angle with my regular seats. I watched Jenkins when he came in (both C & G) and, laugh all you want, his "technique" reminded me of my friend, Aaron Taylor, technique. Then I thought about it. Aaron is 6'2" and Jenkins is 6'1", i.e. NOT 6-7, 6-8, 6-9. Jenkins seems to be able to get lower and push the DL more upward, at least in the plays where I watched him closely, instead of the tall guys pushing down and watching the DL go under them and get through. He impressed me, actually. Now maybe the PFF grads will come out and say he wasn't so good but he sure seemed to do good while I watched. Now I can count more than a handful of plays where Benhart ran past the guy who ended up getting the tackle. Not sure if he or someone else was suppose to block that guy, but, dang, it was very obvious that he just wasn't getting any POC blocks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back