• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Injured recruits--Gunnerson & Smothers

Huskerhunter

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
I was a bit alarmed reading the LJS article link from the front page. Early enrolling trio forms backbone of Husker 2020 class

(Blake) Gunnerson knows a thing or two about playing hurt, too. He had overgrown hip bones and, as he describes it, moving around caused his labrum to tear. He had one surgery to shave down the hip on one side after his junior season and another shortly after his senior year wrapped up this fall.
“This one’s actually looking a lot better than the last one, healing up a lot faster because I was in surgery for a shorter amount of time,” said Gunnerson, who’s listed at 6-foot-5 and 255 pounds, and hasn’t had a healthy high school season since he was a sophomore. “I’m experiencing a lot less pain and stuff, and I’m just hoping to be fully good and ready for spring ball.”

Anyone else worried about this kind of injury?! Torn labrum injuries are very difficult even after repair. I hope he this doesn't haunt him at the next level. Color me concerned. Seems like a very high likelihood that he'll be injury prone.

Smothers' injury isn't related to an inherited anatomy problem but a bit scary nonetheless!

What had happened is Smothers, a dynamic dual-threat quarterback, had been held up and, at the end of the play, a defender put a crushing hit right through Smothers’ midsection. The result: Four cracked ribs, a hip pointer and a partially collapsed lung.
He spent one night in the hospital and didn’t make it back to school until Thursday, but when he did, he padded up and tried to practice. Friday night, one week after the injury, he gutted through a half against Pinson Valley, the defending state champions, before he just couldn’t go anymore. The Trojans’ season ended in a 26-14 loss, their first and only of the season.

Last edited:

I was a bit alarmed reading the LJS article link from the front page. Early enrolling trio forms backbone of Husker 2020 class

(Blake) Gunnerson knows a thing or two about playing hurt, too. He had overgrown hip bones and, as he describes it, moving around caused his labrum to tear. He had one surgery to shave down the hip on one side after his junior season and another shortly after his senior year wrapped up this fall.
“This one’s actually looking a lot better than the last one, healing up a lot faster because I was in surgery for a shorter amount of time,” said Gunnerson, who’s listed at 6-foot-5 and 255 pounds, and hasn’t had a healthy high school season since he was a sophomore. “I’m experiencing a lot less pain and stuff, and I’m just hoping to be fully good and ready for spring ball.”

Anyone else worried about this kind of injury?! Torn labrum injuries are very difficult even after repair. I hope he this doesn't haunt him at the next level. Color me concerned. Seems like a very high likelihood that he'll be injury prone.

Smothers' injury isn't related to an inherited anatomy problem but a bit scary nonetheless!

What had happened is Smothers, a dynamic dual-threat quarterback, had been held up and, at the end of the play, a defender put a crushing hit right through Smothers’ midsection. The result: Four cracked ribs, a hip pointer and a partially collapsed lung.
He spent one night in the hospital and didn’t make it back to school until Thursday, but when he did, he padded up and tried to practice. Friday night, one week after the injury, he gutted through a half against Pinson Valley, the defending state champions, before he just couldn’t go anymore. The Trojans’ season ended in a 26-14 loss, their first and only of the season.
This reminded me of Brook. collapsed lung two weeks in a row and kept playing.

I think I read somewhere that Smothers is still planning to play in some HS All-Star game. One recruiting analyst called him a tough SOB. I wouldn't worry about him.

Don't know what to make of Gunnerson's injuries but I will say this: I was skeptical that Cam Jurgen or JoJo Domann would ever make it through a season healthy and both did in 2019.

agreed fort, cam and jojos health suprised me too. those are the 1st two i woulda said to be injured, just because of their past

Based on what I see in the article Gunnerson's hip issue appears to be congenital. That doesn't mean he is injury prone. In fact, it sounds like the surgeries might make a difference in preventing further damage to his body.

The labrum surgery was after his Sophomore year. Not sure there is any reason for concern at this point.

He has a lot of time before next season to heal whatever lingers from the hip surgery.

Based on what I see in the article Gunnerson's hip issue appears to be congenital. That doesn't mean he is injury prone. In fact, it sounds like the surgeries might make a difference in preventing further damage to his body.

The labrum surgery was after his Sophomore year. Not sure there is any reason for concern at this point.

He has a lot of time before next season to heal whatever lingers from the hip surgery.

We have some good Docs on here, would be interested in their perspective because I understand labrum repair is difficult to come back to 100% from...but I’m hoping you’re right!

Cracked ribs are no big deal. It hurts to breathe for a couple of months but they generally heal up 100%. I suffered multiple cracked ribs twice in karate after being kicked in the chest. Collapsed lung should heal 100%. Never had a hip pointer, but is does not seem like a long-term injury.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back