• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked inglorious return (and MSU game experience)

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskerexportold

Recruit
2 Year Member
Hey, everyone --- after several long years as a lurker, I've finally decided to re-join in some of the conversations. I was on the BBS back in the huskerpedia days for a few years--glad to have my old handle back, not that I ever posted that much. For those of you playing at home, Huskerexport is a reference to the old adage that Nebraska's best export is its people. Having been stuck on the East Coast now for over twenty years, I still long for my trips home to the promised land. But New Jersey is home for now.

My subject line promised an anecdote about the MSU game experience; maybe it will distract from some of the divisive words on other threads. Here goes: I was in Budapest, Hungary, the weekend of the MSU match. A colleague and I visited a local sports bar there to ask if they could get the game for us that night at 9:30 (7 time zones away from Lincoln). To our surprise, the bartender said it was no problem --- they love American football there. The bartender was a pretty young thing, maybe 22 or so, which made the awkward medical wrap on her hand all the more puzzling. Later, during the game, a pack of about twenty women came in and started bantering with her about football as they watched several games, including the Huskers; they clearly knew her from somewhere, and all of them were obviously very much into football. After the game, as we were paying for our tab, I asked the bartender how she knew the group of women. She said that they were her teammates. Together, they were members of a semi-professional women's team, representing Budapest against other European cities in American-rules football games. Seeing that we doubted her claim, the bartender showed us a photograph of herself on the field in helmet and full uniform, having just caught a pass and running upfield. Her hand wrap was due to an injury in that afternoon's game against Prague. We wished her team the best of luck, and she bade the same to our Huskers.

So if you're ever in Budapest during a game weekend, there are places to watch the Huskers, not to mention people who love the real sport of football . . . . :nod:

Great post!. Welcome back to the board. Nice to know the Huskers will be coming to see you out there. 2015 right? A Husker watch site in Budapest! Who would have thought?

Nice to know the Huskers will be coming to see you out there. 2015 right?

Heck, yes. As a Maryland alum and with Rutgers not far away, I was as delighted as anyone that those two teams joined us in the Big Ten. I'll be headed to either of those campuses anytime my Huskers come calling. Anything would beat driving out to Penn State and getting cursed and spit at by fraternity drunks.

Hey, everyone --- after several long years as a lurker, I've finally decided to re-join in some of the conversations. I was on the BBS back in the huskerpedia days for a few years--glad to have my old handle back, not that I ever posted that much. For those of you playing at home, Huskerexport is a reference to the old adage that Nebraska's best export is its people. Having been stuck on the East Coast now for over twenty years, I still long for my trips home to the promised land. But New Jersey is home for now.

My subject line promised an anecdote about the MSU game experience; maybe it will distract from some of the divisive words on other threads. Here goes: I was in Budapest, Hungary, the weekend of the MSU match. A colleague and I visited a local sports bar there to ask if they could get the game for us that night at 9:30 (7 time zones away from Lincoln). To our surprise, the bartender said it was no problem --- they love American football there. The bartender was a pretty young thing, maybe 22 or so, which made the awkward medical wrap on her hand all the more puzzling. Later, during the game, a pack of about twenty women came in and started bantering with her about football as they watched several games, including the Huskers; they clearly knew her from somewhere, and all of them were obviously very much into football. After the game, as we were paying for our tab, I asked the bartender how she knew the group of women. She said that they were her teammates. Together, they were members of a semi-professional women's team, representing Budapest against other European cities in American-rules football games. Seeing that we doubted her claim, the bartender showed us a photograph of herself on the field in helmet and full uniform, having just caught a pass and running upfield. Her hand wrap was due to an injury in that afternoon's game against Prague. We wished her team the best of luck, and she bade the same to our Huskers.

So if you're ever in Budapest during a game weekend, there are places to watch the Huskers, not to mention people who love the real sport of football . . . . :nod:

Cool story. I think women's football is picking up some steam in Europe. I had a teammate here that played on a team in Denmark before coming to the US. Though the European teams still can't come close to USA women's for the world championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back