• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked In-state guys for the new head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a new coach imminent, I wanted to go over who we have in-state that could help them fill some gaps. We are lucky to have a smaller class this year, so it helps with the transition, but there's some talent laying around that could help.

Cameron Jurgens - Beatrice - Let's be honest, you keep this dude in the fold and we should be good. Top rated guy that would have an Ohio State offer if he visited (per Ohio State coaches). Can play OLB for you or TE.

Masry Mapieu - York - I'm not impressed with him, but Parrella and Diaco were. So were Iowa and UCLA. So who am I to judge that? You can probably keep this guy in the fold and he's really athletic, but would need a few years of development. He's no Deontre Thomas.

Bryson Williams - Lincoln Southeast - He moved here from Chicago, so he's not necessarily a "Nebraska guy" (neither is Mapieu for that matter), but he lives 5 miles from 10th and Vine. Could you flip him from top 10 Wisky? Whether you like his film or not, you don't let in-state talent go to a division rival/power.

Moses Bryant - Elkhorn South - Had some of the best freshmen film I had seen from a RB in Nebraska in quite some time. He had a rough sophomore season then some off the field stuff kept him off a lot of P5 and FBS radars. He has an offer from Iowa and Nebraska the moment he gets eligible. Him getting eligible could bail the new coach out keeping an in-state kid around. Not sure if the new coach would want him at DB or RB, but he has the goods.

Milton Sargbah - Omaha North - This dude would be outstanding in a Frost offense, shifty and quick, ran a 4.4 at Nebraska's camp. Not sure why he has a lack of offers, but could be another guy like Moses Bryant and Jalin Bradley that could bail a staff out with multiple coaches passing on building a relationship for whatever reason, then us sneak in late to fill the class.

Bryce Stai - Norris -
A Husker legacy heading to Ohio. Quite the athlete for a TE/H-back, and could help like a David Engelhaupt if you have trouble filling your class. Not trying to be "that guy", but his Husker pride and his effort could go a long way while you try to just salvage a recruiting class. There may be some "reaches" this class, but this would be a good place to start. Reminds me of Casey Sayles from Omaha North who went to Ohio and was a 2 year captain for Solich.
http://www.hudl.com/v/27yS4X

Zach Schlager - McCook - I love dudes that play QB and then something else. He's committed to Colorado State, but could play LB or TE for you. I haven't had the chance to see enough of him, but he's an FBS kid from in-state we could take a look at.
http://www.hudl.com/v/28FZMV

AJ Forbes - Bellevue West - Had a little trouble finding OL in-state this year, but trust me they are out there. Here's a kid with an FBS offer or two and had a lot of traction as a junior.
http://www.hudl.com/v/27sHTN

Haven't heard much in terms of commitable offers flying in for Moses. Qualifying risk?

I have no idea, just asking.

Big on Sargbah, I think Nebraska should be offering this kid regardless of coach. Maybe I just think too much about the impact a Darren Sproles made as a collegiate (and pro) running back, but this kid is electric. Love how he hits the hole ... does not dance, sees the hole and runs downhill.

And Bryant, I would recruit this guys as a running back. His film is different than you see most often - has a ton of wiggle, yet stays downhill and has enough power to break arm tackles without much issue.

Big on Sargbah, I think Nebraska should be offering this kid regardless of coach. Maybe I just think too much about the impact a Darren Sproles made as a collegiate (and pro) running back, but this kid is electric. Love how he hits the hole ... does not dance, sees the hole and runs downhill.

And Bryant, I would recruit this guys as a running back. His film is different than you see most often - has a ton of wiggle, yet stays downhill and has enough power to break arm tackles without much issue.
Something has to be up with Sargbah, FCS schools should be all over him. Bryant does a lot with not much space as a RB, really good between the tackles making people miss but runs upright which could spell travel in P5 football.

I know they are not 2018 guys, but the Sims (2019) kid from Prep and the Maessner (2020) kid from Kearney put on a show against each other on Friday.

It seem's you think most of the existing recruits will not be with us come signing day.
I am speculating that. When Riley and staff came on, they got lucky with Daishon Neal and Michael Decker being in-state guys, the Davis twins having family connected to Nebraska, Eric Lee having family connected to Nebraska, then keeping Charlton Warren to keep Avery Anderson and Aaron Williams in the mix. You also hired Keith Williams to keep a guy like Stanley Morgan on board who almost committed to Tulane to play for KW. That's 8 guys they were able to keep due to circumstance.

Now you look at our 2018 class, we have two in-state guys like we did in 2015 in Jurgens and Mapieu, and I think we can hang on to them, especially if Frost is hired. You can possibly keep Will Farniok with his brother on the team and him being from South Dakota. After that, I don't see anyone that i'm optimistic would stay. I'm not saying we lose all 7 of the other guys committed, but I bet we lose a majority of them. Guys like Joshua Moore, Mario Goodrich, Tate Wildeman, Chase Williams, and Cameron Brown are all committed due to the coach and the relationship.

Speculation on my end, but I would only count on 3 or 4 guys still being with us with a coaching change. And from there it's tough to make up ground, especially if it's a guy from a non-Power 5 that didn't have recruits committed to him that would translate well to the B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back