• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Immediate transfer eligibility under review

wheat

Scout Team
10 Year Member
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eviewing-college-football-transfer-guidelines

Hopefully common sense prevails and they back off the "free candy for everyone" approach. I didn't have much issue with the Ole Miss guys getting immediate eligibility. On the surface, Fields to tOSU seems like one that probably shouldn't have been approved. I realize it's a tough balancing act but, IMO, the pendulum swung too far when they relaxed the rules. One real challenge is finding consistency, as most cases are going to have their own nuances.

Last edited:

Agree, they have to do something. Quit listening to the voice in their ear and do what the rules say...I don't know what they say.

Hate to say this but as a Husker fan I was happy when Vedral got his waiver, but taking off the rose colored glasses, he really shouldn't have.

But if you follow the Ohio State happenings this year he should have had it right away and not part way into the season.

This would open up a Pandora's box. You would see a lot of star atheletes gravitate to the Alabama's and Ohio States once they had great seasons. I think this could do to college football what the one and done has done to basketball.

But if you follow the Ohio State happenings this year he should have had it right away and not part way into the season.
It’s my understanding that it probably would have had Nebraska pushed for it. But admittedly SF and co. said they didn’t.

This would open up a Pandora's box. You would see a lot of star athletes gravitate to the Alabama's and Ohio States once they had great seasons. I think this could do to college football what the one and done has done to basketball.

Don't really agree with that whole perspective ... and here is why:

if the athletes objective is the NFL, factors that a GM / NFL scouts consider are growth in production during a college career and leadership and other personal characteristics ought to be considered. Ex, a WR at a MAC school produces 700 and then 1,000 yards in first two season ... transferring to an Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson, player might be just another guy & production #s might show it.

if opportunity for winning a National Title is in their mindset, then I will give you that.

Immediate transfer should be allowed under certain extenuating circumstances, like the coach who recruited you leaving and your team is switching to an offense that is a bad fit, or a family matter. Getting beat out for the starting job is not an extenuating circumstance.

Unless you were beat out because you were a bad fit for the offense? Not surprised that someone would take a look at this AFTER OSU got their QB in place...LOL

Unless you were beat out because you were a bad fit for the offense? Not surprised that someone would take a look at this AFTER OSU got their QB in place...LOL

I more meant allowing Fields to transfer and get immediate eligibility (stories about insults being hurled at him by an UGA baseball player aside, he transferred because Fromm beat him out), or Martell leaving OSU and probably gaining immediate eligibility at Miami. I have no problem with someone like Gebbia getting immediate eligibility because he wasn't recruited by Frost and isn't a good fit for this offense.

This would open up a Pandora's box. You would see a lot of star atheletes gravitate to the Alabama's and Ohio States once they had great seasons. I think this could do to college football what the one and done has done to basketball.

But, in that case, other guys will get pushed off the Alabama and Clemson rosters and transfer elsewhere. I agree with what you are saying as there would be a separation with the higher level programs; but, if we get Alabama's second best and still very good LB to fill a hole, it might not be all bad (unless it was our best LB that caused the scenario).

I like the concept of the transfer portal as a central place for coaches know who they can contact and it is good for players as they see how coaches perceive them.

I do think that the one year penalty to transfer should stay in place, with only one very limited exemption: Team is put on probation and you weren't part of the story.

I think coaching changes are so much a part of the college football landscape that it should be almost expected that your head coach or position coach will not be there in 4 or 5 years. Although, I wouldn't object to this being an additional exemption.

For any other reason, sitting out the year would require players to really consider how 'bad' they have it where they are and whether it is worth it to transfer. Josh Fields is a good example of this. I have no reason to doubt his claims that led to his transfer; but, having to sit out the year would seem to support his claims as more than just..."i got beat out and want to go to another great school"

It's the problem with the necessity to "establish a relationship" with a coach during recruiting. I know it's the easy thing to do and everybody else is doing it, but coaches need to sell the university to kids, not their personality.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back