• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Illegal Forward Pass and review

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatfishHusker

Recruit
10 Year Member
That play where Martinez tossed the ball to the running back was clearly an illegal forward pass; I can't argue with that part of the review.

However, I thought the officials couldn't add a penalty because of review, only nullify one. Since there was no flag thrown during the play, shouldn't they have just said the play ended at the point Taylor tossed the ball ?

Seems odd to me, but maybe there's some clause in the rulebook I'm unfamiliar with. Does anyone reading this know what's with that call ?

Good question. I was wondering the same thing. Apparently, that particular situation is the exception to the rule.

It is no different than calling intentional grounding, which is a reviewable play that can result in a post review penalty.

It is no different than calling intentional grounding, which is a reviewable play that can result in a post review penalty.

But don't they have to throw the flag first and then review it to confirm?

Here is my reason it should not have been called: If Taylor had not been stuffed, he would be running forward, and the lateral would have been legal!

Anyone agree, or not?

But don't they have to throw the flag first and then review it to confirm?

No. If they don't throw a flag, and it is later determined by review that the QB was in the pocket, the ball didn't reach the line of scrimmage, or that there wasn't a receiver in the area, an intentional grounding call can be made as the result of a review.

Here is my reason it should not have been called: If Taylor had not been stuffed, he would be running forward, and the lateral would have been legal!

Anyone agree, or not?

No, it is purely a matter of where the ball leaves the hand to where the ball is caught.

I don't understand this call, was TMart behind the line of scrimmage when he pitched the ball? If so, isn't it the same as shuffle pass just in a different area of the field? If he drops the pitch its just a dead ball incomplete pass? I know there was a game last week that had this same exact play. I though illegal forward pitches could only happen once past the LOS.

I don't understand this call, was TMart behind the line of scrimmage when he pitched the ball? If so, isn't it the same as shuffle pass just in a different area of the field? If he drops the pitch its just a dead ball incomplete pass? I know there was a game last week that had this same exact play. I though illegal forward pitches could only happen once past the LOS.

He was well ahead of the line of scrimmage on that play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back