• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If the Pandemic causes the upcoming season to be cancelled.....

Majorhavoc

Recruit
2 Year Member
Would, could, can the NCAA grant a blanket year of eligibility to all college athletes because of the loss of the season? (Obviously to no fault of the players, like an injury) If this has already been addressed in another thread, I apologize for re-posting.

Would, could, can the NCAA grant a blanket year of eligibility to all college athletes because of the loss of the season? (Obviously to no fault of the players, like an injury) If this has already been addressed in another thread, I apologize for re-posting.
I think they should, but then you would have 100+ on scholarships with the already incoming class, less the players who move on to the NFL or are just done. Not sure how they would handle it.

Pretty sure the NCAA bylaws will need to be amended to temporarily allow for more scholarships...

Last edited:
I think this was being discussed somewhere already with regard to the college basketball players. They said it wasn’t as simple as extending eligibility. With scholarships, the number of kids on a roster, in-coming kids on scholarships—-they said it was going to be a logistical nightmare to consider even for basketball, baseball. Very interesting times.

I have a good friend who is AD at a high D2 school. He said that with COVID, athletic budgets are going to get sliced 20 percent or more. Most schools will be in no position to fund 25 percent MORE scholarships. A Big 10 school might be down for such, but most schools are going to be cutting, not adding.

I’ve been thinking about this, and while providing a blanket “extra year” seems most fair, it would be a logistical nightmare and frankly could be a financial nightmare for the universities as well.

I think at the end of the day the NCAA would be forced to say, “Sorry, kid. Them’s the breaks.”

After all, nothing about this virus is fair.

Like most governing agencies involved with students/athletes, the NCAA will do what is beneficial for themselves, not the students/athletes. It is why they exist and how they operate.

Last edited:
I have a good friend who is AD at a high D2 school. He said that with COVID, athletic budgets are going to get sliced 20 percent or more. Most schools will be in no position to fund 25 percent MORE scholarships. A Big 10 school might be down for such, but most schools are going to be cutting, not adding.
I’ve been thinking about this, and while providing a blanket “extra year” seems most fair, it would be a logistical nightmare and frankly could be a financial nightmare for the universities as well.

I think at the end of the day the NCAA would be forced to say, “Sorry, kid. Them’s the breaks.”

After all, nothing about this virus is fair.

It's interesting to consider their options, and how those options would affect Nebraska football. I can see something such as what's likely going to happen with spring sports, which is making it an option to still have a year of eligibility in lieu of this year. It would be very logistically difficult for schools, regardless, but especially due to money constraints. When in doubt, I'd expect the NCAA to throw the hard decisions back to the conferences, who would also likely be pushing for having their own way, regardless. If that were to happen, that is when things could get really interesting. I'd bet a lot of money that the SEC would choose whatever would give their conference the most advantage in football, which would mean more eligibility for anyone wherever possible. The conferences that are cash-strapped would likely choose something more economically sustainable. The B1G question--see what I did there?--is what would the B1G do? Money wouldn't be the obstacle that it would be for most others, and I think that falling behind the SEC in any other advantage would be extremely distasteful. It would likely be a defining decision for Kevin Warren to make if he chose to go all in by using every advantage that the conference has monetarily, or he could just as easily avoid making that decision by working in concert with the Pac-12 and the Big 12, which would be something smaller, cheaper. Then all would whine and complain about the SEC ... even more. It could get very interesting in that scenario. It makes me even more grateful to have Moos in charge.

I think this was being discussed somewhere already with regard to the college basketball players. They said it wasn’t as simple as extending eligibility. With scholarships, the number of kids on a roster, in-coming kids on scholarships—-they said it was going to be a logistical nightmare to consider even for basketball, baseball. Very interesting times.

I believe I read where the NCAA ruled that the eligibility of winter sports athletes (i.e. college basketball) would expire. Reason being that they already had played out the majority of their seasons -- and for some teams (i.e. Nebraska men's), the season was actually fully completed.

Certainly a much more difficult situation in regards to spring sports that had barely started. Or fall sports that have yet to be played.

Definitely a logistical nightmare for the NCAA. Let's say they allow for all of the additional scholarships by giving seniors another year of eligibility. How exactly do you return the scholarship limit back to what it was previously? Good luck with that.

I believe I read where the NCAA ruled that the eligibility of winter sports athletes (i.e. college basketball) would expire. Reason being that they already had played out the majority of their seasons -- and for some teams (i.e. Nebraska men's), the season was actually fully completed.

Certainly a much more difficult situation in regards to spring sports that had barely started. Or fall sports that have yet to be played.

Definitely a logistical nightmare for the NCAA. Let's say they allow for all of the additional scholarships by giving seniors another year of eligibility. How exactly do you return the scholarship limit back to what it was previously? Good luck with that.

I would assume it would be a one year exception for the senior who lost their season. For example, let's say this affects football, and a team has 22 seniors for 2020. They would get their 1 year of eligibility for 2021, and would add to that senior class. After 2021, the limits would go back to normal. And I'm assuming no medical redshirts would be allowed.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back