• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If not for Husker FB, it might be NFL only for me.

Dugzilla

Charlotte Husker
5 Year Member
Now that the coaching search is over my fear has crept upon me. With the coldest Husker taking his NIL money, without playing a down, and with the transfer protocol so active; if I want to watch players make millions on endorsements and free agency, I might as well be an NFL only kind of guy. I suppose I'm just an old timer and not able to come to grips with the 'new' college student athlete.

It was the 'one and done' that has kept me from watching college basketball for years, of which I was a huge fan.

I'm sure to get a lot of negative comments, but I am curious if there are others out there like me.

I have only really followed the NFL during my Florida years when all of my buddies were Bucs fans. Once I moved back to Nebraska however it was easy to let it go. With all of these changes to the game, I am starting to think there really isn't any difference anymore.

Now that the coaching search is over my fear has crept upon me. With the coldest Husker taking his NIL money, without playing a down, and with the transfer protocol so active; if I want to watch players make millions on endorsements and free agency, I might as well be an NFL only kind of guy. I suppose I'm just an old timer and not able to come to grips with the 'new' college student athlete.

It was the 'one and done' that has kept me from watching college basketball for years, of which I was a huge fan.

I'm sure to get a lot of negative comments, but I am curious if there are others out there like me.
I would imagine a NIL contract would prevent him players who would endorse a service or product would only be paid for the worh they had done, any future earnings would be null

I'm with ya.

I always found it hard to be a hardcore "fan" of any one pro team with itinerant players and even teams that could move to a different city, in any way close to what I am of the huskers.

I'll still love the huskers but a little less so because of the cognitive dissonance I will feel cheering for players many of whom are just mercenaries.

It's not their fault, the system I fell in love with became more and more exploitative of the star players during my lifetime. Everybody was getting rich but them. And an opportunity and scholarship became embarassingly like slave wages compared to what coaches and schools were getting.

You can see it even just comparing coaching salaries. What a Nick Saban makes today is many multiples what Tom Osborne did, for the same level of success. How can a top player be denied his share?

It's sad to me but I can't say the changes are wrong.

Last edited:

Its still a bit of wild west with transfer portal and NIL.

As is with everything the portal will not turn out to be the be all to end all ... many players, especially in basketball, find themselves without a chair once the music ends. Once the COVID 6th year exceptions end the pool of available players will dwindle slightly and the chaos of players moving will be reduced.

I do think some of these NIL deals will wise up and start adding in stipulations that require players to remain multiple years at schools. I do think the "newness" will wear out ... coaches, schools and institutions will figure out a way to level out the amount of chaos.

I also think consistency of performance at Nebraska will help with player turnover as well!

I always found it hard to be a hardcore "fan" of any one pro team with itinerant players and even teams that could move to a different city, in any way close to what I am of the huskers.

I'd say college players are now more itinerant than NFL players, who are on contracts.

An NFL rookie contract is for four years. A large percentage who make it four years re-sign with the same team (many players don't make it four years, however, before their careers are over). College players lasting four years with the same team is becoming less common.

Few NFL teams relocate. The only teams that have this century are the Raiders, Chargers, and Rams (all originally California teams).

I'll still love the huskers but a little less so because of the cognitive dissonance I will feel cheering for players many of whom are just mercenaries.

It's not their fault, the system I fell in love with became more and more exploitative of the star players during my lifetime. Everybody was getting rich but them. And an opportunity and scholarship became embarassingly like slave wages compared to what coaches and schools were getting.

You can see it even just comparing coaching salaries. What a Nick Saban makes today is many multiples what Tom Osborne did, for the same level of success. How can a top player be denied his share?

It's sad to me but I can't say the changes are wrong.
I keep thinking the portal will slow down in a few years, so I hope players become less itinerant than they are now.
I honestly believe at this point the idea of dropping the student-athlete misonmer and make them employees of the university. I'm sure there are complications to doing that but all those smart people working at universities around the country should be able to sort it all out.

I’m with you all the way. I’m pretty ‘old school’ when it comes to college football. I imagine some here are tired of me saying this, but I truly miss the old bowl game days and have never watched a CFP game yet. Of course, since the inception of the playoff, Nebraska has never been a threat to participate so my resolve hasn’t been severely tested!

A lot of posters have made pretty good points about the new paradigm being fair to the players and that it will eventually settle down some, and I agree it likely will. But I still miss the days of team loyalty and playing (mainly) for school pride…

I bet the biggest reason kids are entering this portal BS, is money. Bigger NIL deal elsewhere. These kids are chasing the money. People say, good for them, and I say, what about the product? College football is being destroyed right in front of everyone. Everything that made it what is was, is gone. You have kids leaving that are starters, entrenched players. Why would you leave that? I get someone from a lower level trying to move up, but power 5 to another power 5, seems stupid. Bigger NIL deals are the driving factor. Need to put the one year ban in again on playing time, sit one year on transfers. That would stop a lot of this.

I think there will be changes down the road with NIL etc…especially when big players skip big bowls for the portal/draft. We are at the beginning. The games this weekend were great and still fun to watch. Not ready to panic yet.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back