• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I Demonstrate Specific 3-4 Defensive Line Techniques (With My Kids Help)

The UNL football research department should try to develop football jerseys with a teflon coating.

True story. Pop Warner was playing a football team with brown jerseys. That team did a lot a lot of fake hand-offs and the brown jerseys made it hard to determine who had the ball because the ball was hard to see against the brown jerseys.

Pop Warner's team had red jerseys. So when Pop Warner hosted the brown team, he painted all of the balls red. The brown team protested, but they lost the protest. There was nothing in the rules about what color the ball had to be.

Yep, in football technological innovation can sometimes help.
Yeah actually last year last year in the coaches clinic I attended they showed us how to teach the kids how to hold without it getting called. What you do is put your hands on the edge of the breast plate of the pads. With your thumbs up. This allows the player to wrap his fingers around the shoulder pad which is technically holding but because you are not engaging your thumbs in the grasp it is not holding. Additionally it allows you as Adam said. To do the steering wheel technique.

Yeah actually last year last year in the coaches clinic I attended they showed us how to teach the kids how to hold without it getting called. What you do is put your hands on the edge of the breast plate of the pads. With your thumbs up. This allows the player to wrap his fingers around the shoulder pad which is technically holding but because you are not engaging your thumbs in the grasp it is not holding. Additionally it allows you as Adam said. To do the steering wheel technique.

At the clinic they showed you how to teach kids how to hold without getting called. Did the NCAA shut that clinic down?

Last edited:

The clinic taught you how to teach your kids how to get away with cheating. Is that what we want to teach our youth?

Just sayin
Huskerthom- Is absolutely correct in everything he said.

Basically if you have your hands inside the framework of the body & on the breastplate, it not only gives you the best position to win at the line of scrimmage, but you will not be called for holding. When your hands get outside the framework of the body that's when holding will be called, especially because a lot of times that's when the jersey starts getting pulled. The person with outside hand placement also usually loses the down & that's when shenanigans start to happen.

Was wondering the same thing as Paramus about the steering wheel technique and holding. Is it effective without grabbing the jersey?
Your explanation/demonstration of the hands placement was great.
Explains why 300lb linemen are always playing pattycake!:Catfight:
It looks funny, but you are correct.
:Catfight::Catfight::Catfight:

Huskerthom- Is absolutely correct in everything he said.

Basically if you have your hands inside the framework of the body & on the breastplate, it not only gives you the best position to win at the line of scrimmage, but you will not be called for holding. When your hands get outside the framework of the body that's when holding will be called, especially because a lot of times that's when the jersey starts getting pulled. The person with outside hand placement also usually loses the down & that's when shenanigans start to happen.
That is not said very often on this board. :Biggrin::Biggrin:
Also thank you for verifying.

Last edited:
It seems like people get confused between "holding" the penalty, and "holding" the verb. They aren't the same, as Adam and Thom alluded to in great depth.

I always thought holding was illegal. When Thom said "taught to hold without getting caught" I assumed it was illegal holding...I mean is there any other kind? Well I guess there is another kind. Now there is legal holding of the jersey and the shoulder pad breast plate. I did not know that.

It would have been better if Thom had said "taught to perform legal/allowed holding". But he said "Taught to hold without getting caught"...which to me implies trying to get away with something.

Whoever came up with the new holding rules must have been a fan of Judo.

Polycotton-Master-Heavyweight-Judo-Suit-White-Lifestyle.jpg

Last edited:
I always thought holding was illegal. When Thom said "taught to hold without getting caught" I assumed it was illegal holding...I mean is there any other kind? Well I guess there is another kind. Now there is legal holding of the jersey and the shoulder pad breast plate. I did not know that.

It would have been better if Thom had said "taught to perform legal/allowed holding". But he said "Taught to hold without getting caught"...which to me implies trying to get away with something.

Whoever came up with the new holding rules must have been a fan of Judo.

Polycotton-Master-Heavyweight-Judo-Suit-White-Lifestyle.jpg
For the record I did not say caught.
hold without getting called.
big difference between called and caught.

For the record I did not say caught.
big difference between called and caught.

Big difference for you but not for me.

Anyway, I understand now. There are now forms of holding that are legal. I suppose those rules were implemented to help the offense.

Last edited:

Yes and to decrease damage to the QBs

Human use of the steering wheel move originated with judo. Football could not use it until jersey grabbing was allowed.

220px-Yoshimatsu_vs._Daigo_in_1951.jpg

Before Judo came along, the steering wheel technique was only used by domestic cats.

judo-kitten.jpg

:Teacher:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back