• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Huskers lock up Davis twins after in-home visit Friday night. Missouri visit canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.
See my post above....we think a like...:)

I hope you're not being serious with this list as reasons they should do both sports...

Let's just look at the guys that tried to do it in the 2000s as Erstad, Crawford, and Davison are irrelevant for a variety of reasons but the eras they competed in being the most paramount... Starling never did it, Rands ended up quitting football to concentrate on track, Khiry Cooper transferred from Nebraska, Isaiah Fluellen ran one year at Nebraska...

Not exactly a ringing endorsement...

It worked for Bo Jackson. We should get players like that!

I know Eric Crouch ran open invitationals (or whatever they are called) cause my buddy (who played football/track at Doane/Dana/Wesleyen/or some other similar school in that area of Nebraska) in SD reminds me all the time he beat him in a race (not sure of what length of race, thinking it was the 200). Of course, I rub it in on him and say, "Yeah, you beat him but he did win some trophy called the Heisman the following year.":Biggrin:

I know Eric Crouch ran open invitationals (or whatever they are called) cause my buddy (who played football/track at Doane/Dana/Wesleyen/or some other similar school in that area of Nebraska) in SD reminds me all the time he beat him in a race (not sure of what length of race, thinking it was the 200). Of course, I rub it in on him and say, "Yeah, you beat him but he did win some trophy called the Heisman the following year.":Biggrin:
He only ran one year as well...

I have no problem with a football guy doing a speed or strength event in track. It didn't hurt Herschel Walker or Eric Crouch. RG III did it for 1 year and then went football only. I was stunned when RG III quit track; he was a potential Olympic gold medalist in the 400 intermediate hurdles (by far the best in the world for his age). For the Davis twins, I will guess they will concentrate on winter conditioning and spring football, and sprinkle in some track technique work and Saturday track meets. They should still be able to compete at a relatively high level in track.

I hope you're not being serious with this list as reasons they should do both sports...

Let's just look at the guys that tried to do it in the 2000s as Erstad, Crawford, and Davison are irrelevant for a variety of reasons but the eras they competed in being the most paramount... Starling never did it, Rands ended up quitting football to concentrate on track, Khiry Cooper transferred from Nebraska, Isaiah Fluellen ran one year at Nebraska...

Not exactly a ringing endorsement...

And how many of them were successful doing both? None.....

FWIW Erstad played one year before entering the MLB Draft and no disrespect but he was a punter/kicker.... and lets be honest here..... Davison played guard for the Husker men's basketball team the second semester of 1999.....and started only two games.....

Cooper was not really that good at either sport....and probably because he played both....

I could go on but the point has been made....

Bottom line what *** stated is correct....two sport guys are rarely successful.....and none have been at NU that I know of...

...sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities, gents. It can be done and, I would argue, SHOULD be done when you are in the Davis' position (i.e. being nationally elite in both sports). NEBRASKA athletes haven't been able to do it well, but you cannot deny that there are many who have.

Deion Sanders (Football, Baseball, Track) - Florida State
Jameis Winston (Football, Baseball) - Florida State
Bo Jackson (Football, Baseball) - Auburn
Dennis Dixon (Football, Baseball) - Oregon
Russell Wilson (Football, Baseball) - NC State
John Elway (Football, Baseball) - Stanford
Justin Gage (Football, Basketball) - Missouri
Antonio Gates (Football, Basketball) - Kent State
Toby Gerhart (Football, Basketball) - Stanford
Tony Gonzales (Football, Basketball) - California
Robert Griffin III (Football, Track) - Baylor

...and many, many more that not only played more than one sport, they all excelled in each.

The biggest part of throwing is agility and strength training -- not unlike the regimen they will be on for DL. Practice is for technique and, as a thrower, it is far less invasive than baseball, basketball, or any other sport you would combine with football.

There is zero reason why these young men should be forced to discontinue their track careers.

Last edited:

antonio gates never played college football, he left michigan state for portland state because nick saban wanted to keep him from tom izzo, however you missed a few mort...

charlie ward, herschel walker, julius peppers, turner gill, julius thomas, jimmy graham, dave winfield, kirk gibson, ricky williams (minor leagues), willie gault, bob hayes, jeremy bloom, micheal carter....

few things I'm seeing here are the heismans... jackson, griffin, williams, ward, walker, winston...
the tight ends...graham, thomas, gonzalez, gates..
and olympians...carter, hayes, gault, walker, bloom...
and the 1 (year) and done...gill, griffin, erstad, graham...

micheal carter played on the undefeated SMU Mustangs in the early 80's along with throwing shot put for national championship track team before going on to win medal in the 84 olympic games. lots of guys have pulled double duty but i would imagine carter is the closed comparison, however 30 some years ago. i don't see the davis boys running hurdles.

Delicate Sensabilities.....you can do better than that.......

I would argue the vast majority 95% or more can't and don't do it.....you can always find a few who do and I promise I can find more who don't and couldn't....and at Nebraska as was pointed out it has been less than successful.....

Hey if the coaches are for it so be it....its their decision....not your's or mine.....and I stand by what I said two sport guys are rarely successful in college...

...sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities, gents. It can be done and, I would argue, SHOULD be done when you are in the Davis' position (i.e. being nationally elite in both sports). NEBRASKA athletes haven't been able to do it well, but you cannot deny that there are many who have.

...and many, many more that not only played more than one sport, they all excelled in each.

The biggest part of throwing is agility and strength training -- not unlike the regimen they will be on for DL. Practice is for technique and, as a thrower, it is far less invasive than baseball, basketball, or any other sport you would combine with football.

There is zero reason why these young men should be forced to discontinue their track careers.

Last edited:
I believe I remember Reggie Jackson played football and baseball for Arizona State.

But it truly is the exception and not the rule.....or should I say exceptional.

...off the top of my head:

Darrin Erstad (baseball)
Isaiah Fluellen (track)
Matt Davison (basketball)
Khiry Cooper (baseball)
Robert Rands (track)
Carl Crawford (baseball) and Bubba Starling (baseball) were obviously planning on it.

There were another few track runners that I can't put a name to at present.

Lee Kunz - terrific 2 sport athlete.
Turner Gill - as a senior, baseball
Mark Mauer - baseball one year
Joe Orduna - late 60's fb, track
Von Sheppard - dual for several years 80's- fb, track
Randy Butts - early 70's, fb & track
Corey Dixon = early 90's, fb and track
Keith "end zone" Jones - mid 80's fb, track
LaVerne Allers - fb, wrestling mid-60's
Adrian Fiala - Fb, Baseball
John Sherlock- ? maybe track/wrestling...talented enough to do either.

Tough to do, and strongly discouraged by the FB coaches...but some do it.

Last edited:

Love ya Mort, but no one is saying they should be forced to discontinue their track career. All that was being conversed, was when I said people find out it's nearly impossible, you said we have had numerous athletes do both. And we have failed to come up with one that did both sports longer than a year at Nebraska during this century. When I asked "who" I was basically given a list of failed attempts to do both sports in college at Nebraska...

There is always that one or two people that did it like Jameis Winston, who was such a freak that Nick Saban camped out at his high school to recruit him, something he had never done before and hasn't done since. Russell Wilson was forced to choose and then transferred because of it. Robert Griffin, an Olympic hopeful, only did one year of track at Baylor. Robert Griffin is a massive endorsement of just how difficult and nearly impossible it is...

Again, all im saying is that college throwing and running is much more technical than high school. The added weights of the shot and disc make it so you have to perfect your craft to be relevant. They could split time and do it and and not place at track meets so they would just be doing it for fun. Or they find out if they concentrate on one sport, they will be better at it. Just like Robert Rands, Eric Crouch, Luke Pinkelman, Dusty Stamer, Isaiah Fluellen, Steve Octavien, Trevor Johnson, and many others all found out...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back