• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers @Illini -Game #- 4-4-21 - 12:00 pm

Your entire reply is moving the goalposts, with a huge white flag of guilt without admittance.

What happens in the post-season is irrelevant to "there's usually a huge dropoff after 2-3 teams." That's flat out false, furthest from the truth. 3 times 5 teams made the post-season, 1 time 4 teams made it (should've been 5 again) and 1 time fits your (inaccurate) statement.

As I said, B1G baseball has gotten remarkably better since NU joined. And the NCAA selection committee agrees with that fact.

B1G teams in the post-season
2019 - 5
2018 - 4
2017 - 5
2016 - 3
2015 - 5
2014 - 2
2013 - 2
2012 - 2 (Huskers first B1G baseball season)
2011 - 1
2010 - 1
2009 - 3
2008 - 1
2007 - 3
2006 - 1
2005 - 2
2004 - 1
2003 - 2
2002 - 1
Oooops

All good data but I think that the conference has gotten “better”...

Are we a premier Baseball Conference? Nope.

But I think we might be climbing above “mediocrity“......

which is truly remarkable for a northern-based conference which literally has to have extra facilities and fight the weather in order to compete.

Michigan’s run to that College World Series final series is the most recent evidence. Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State and Nebraska have done pretty well recently.

I don’t know if anyone remembers this, but that Michigan team that barely lost in the 2019 College World Series final.....A fairly plucky Nebraska team beat them in a weekend series and then turned around and beat them in the Big Ten tournament.

And I recognize a lot of those names from that team on the current team...and with the Covid year grace, they are still listed as very young players.

What is sad to me is the absolute disinterest that the conference itself shows for the sport.

And I totally agree that Nebraska’s facility at Haymarket is the best in the BiG. And I’ve seen some good ACC and SEC facilities. Nebraska’s just blows me away at how good it is. Totally first class!

All good data but I think that the conference has gotten “better”...

Are we a premier Baseball Conference? Nope.

But I think we might be climbing above “mediocrity“......

which is truly remarkable for a northern-based conference which literally has to have extra facilities and fight the weather in order to compete.

Michigan’s run to that College World Series final series is the most recent evidence. Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State and Nebraska have done pretty well recently.

I don’t know if anyone remembers this, but that Michigan team that barely lost in the 2019 College World Series final.....A fairly plucky Nebraska team beat them in a weekend series and then turned around and beat them in the Big Ten tournament.

And I recognize a lot of those names from that team on the current team...and with the Covid year grace, they are still listed as very young players.

What is sad to me is the absolute disinterest that the conference itself shows for the sport.

And I totally agree that Nebraska’s facility at Haymarket is the best in the BiG. And I’ve seen some good ACC and SEC facilities. Nebraska’s just blows me away at how good it is. Totally first class!
We can be the difference maker.
Not one Big school wants the upstart teams, the new teams to lead, even in the 'lower' sports IMO.

We have raised the water,great for all ships, the record shows this, and its the driving force teams like us,and Maryland in BB were welcomed in, notjust money, but in actual raising the quality of sport/s again, IMO

Oh and if that Comia kid from Illinois ever enters the transfer portal...

we want that guy!....

I haven’t seen a “tough out” like that kid for a while....

He was a total PITA to us this entire series....

Last edited:

And you know what.... Maryland usually plays a pretty good brand of baseball. I have not tracked them much in the BiG, but when they were in the ACC they were always a contender.
I think switching conferences,and the Big teams upping their game, as it closes some recruits to switching conferences hurts a team,the other Big teams gain better recruiting grounds for those players that would normally go to a MD or Nebraska.

It would be nice for someone to do a historical check on this,and also, to see if and or when it slowly switches back, to where the Big overall does better in the new schools old recruiting grounds.

Hail varsity would be my bet if it ever were to be done

What is sad to me is the absolute disinterest that the conference itself shows for the sport
Living on the west coast - allegedly one of the baseball Meccas - don’t be deluded that many conferences prioritize or show great interest in baseball (the Pac-12 does NOT). It’s just not a money sport to them. (Though the B10 has performed poorly in this past year-plus on pretty much all the athletic fronts.) Performance is purely about talent proximity - warm weather sports such as baseball will favor the south and west - and motivates staying close by Mom and Dad who wanna see kids play (this sport ain’t on TV much). Keeps them close by.

Last edited:
Agree,

Weather/location is pretty much everything in baseball ranking.....has been that way for years and years.

And the only way Northern colleges can really compete is if they’re willing to spend the money on facilities and schedule a lot of travel to southern schools early in the season.

what bothers me about the Big Ten is that there is a very positive trend for the conference to be more competitive...yet they turn around and enforce a schedule that will severely limit the RPI‘s that schools will need to get into the tournament.

All in the name of Covid precautions. In an outdoor sport and venue were very little personal contact takes place except maybe time at the plate.

Over a year into the pandemic....when they already cancelled 2020.

I mean does it make any difference if we play Texas A&M or LSU or Florida or Arizona State, or North Carolina Covid wise? Aren’t they all under the same basic conditions that we are.

I just think that the Big Ten, once again, has a total lack of vision and leadership and it’s hurting the conference not only in baseball...but we all saw the disaster this conference went through in football. Which I honestly think will take years to repair the conference’s image and finances.

and the crazy thing is they can’t see it at all, They are so puffed up with their own arrogance that “we are the Big 10” they can’t see some of the serious problems that the pandemic has created for the conference because of their responses to it. It’s pretty serious damage.

And it’s going to be a completely new world of college athletics. The transfer portal, player rights, the possibility of paying players, social justice pushing its way into sports.

I just think the BiG needs to take a serious, SERIOUS look at itself.

Of course this is coming from a “Nebraska person” so of course they will just say I’m whining, make fun of me in social media, and ignore everthing.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back