• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HUSKERS host JAYHAWKS - Tues. - 6:05 pm ctrl- 4/23/24 - Haymarket Park

Not yet my friend….

Baseball has a way of turning around trends and streaks rapidly.

next three weekend series with Iowa, Minny and Indiana….critical.

Season may wind up on hanging with the final series with Michigan State.

Hope we do better with relief pitching….our kryptonite right now.

They can still get in the dance….possibly even win the BiG if Illinois stumbles.

Yep, just like when Anderson led the huskers to the CWS, only to get fired later.

Last edited:

Hopes all dashed again, I'm not sure Will is the guy.

Well, it isn't trending well for him, that is for sure.

Sucks, because it didn't take Van horn long at all to turn things around.. of course that wasn't in the Big 10 either. I understand others disagree, but moving to the Big 10 has hurt NU, A LOT!

Sucks, because it didn't take Van horn long at all to turn things around.. of course that wasn't in the Big 10 either. I understand others disagree, but moving to the Big 10 has hurt NU, A LOT!
But Van horn has done very well in the SEC and IMO, the Big is second fiddle to SEC and Will Bolt is not getting it done

Van Horn was from Arkansas…. Has roots there.

He’s a superb coach.

But we didn’t show him the money and I’m not sure it would’ve made a difference once the Arkansas job came open.

I didn’t really understand Anderson’s firing back then….. in baseball you’re going to have some down years.

sigh…..

The Big Ten is not a good baseball conference. It’s not a bad one either…just kind of mediocre. And there’s really no reason for it except we are a “northern conference” with all of the distain that that brings from traditional college baseball people….. and let’s face it a lot of schools in the Big Ten put little effort into baseball. Wisconsin doesn’t even have a program.

With our resources and fan support there is no reason why we should not be in the top two or three every year of the BiG. We have the best facilities in the conference by far.

And with the transfer portal, fan support and our NIL capability, I see no reason why we should not be in the NCAA tournament virtually every year.

I hope Will turns it around…. But If not…. there’s plenty of other guys that would love to have the job.

Last edited:

@CrnhskrBob @HuskerDB Have you noticed how many freshman pitchers we are carrying on the roster?

Is that normal? Is this an effort to “build”…

I mean in this day and age of the transfer portal….I find that “unusual”….
I don’t think it is that unusual, but I don’t know the historical numbers either. I usually think there is a number of freshman pitchers who are given a shot, but who likely aren’t playing anywhere in year two.

I usually think there is a number of freshman pitchers who are given a shot, but who likely aren’t playing anywhere in year two.
Makes sense…. and gives the time to fully evaluate their potential.

Although I can tell you as an ex-high school coach…. My very best pitchers did well in college….. you could tell they were going to do well even in high school….they were that mature and dominant.

My very best pitchers went to really good baseball schools… University of Virginia, North Carolina, Miami, etc….one went to Wake Forest, one to the Citadel when they had a very good program another went to VMI when they had a very good program.

But they were highly highly sought after kids….. I had another boy that rode the pine his freshman and sophomore years in high school had a growth explosion his junior year, but was pitching behind three kids that were assured Div 1 scholarships.

Nobody really knew how good the kid was because he didn’t get to pitch that much.

William and Mary took a chance on him and he wound up pitching for Cincinnati and Washington in the bigs….

You just never know….

Last edited:
@CrnhskrBob @HuskerDB Have you noticed how many freshman pitchers we are carrying on the roster?

Is that normal? Is this an effort to “build”…

I mean in this day and age of the transfer portal….I find that “unusual”….
Yes, we have 7 freshman this season. I would have to go back and check rosters of the last 5 years or so, to see if it a normal amount, or not. As far as "unusual", if we could not pick up more seasoned pitchers from the portal, it is because they had no desire to play for Nebraska. What do you think?

Makes sense…. and gives the time to fully evaluate their potential.

Although I can tell you as an ex-high school coach…. My very best pitchers did well in college….. you could tell they were going to do well even in high school….they were that mature and dominant.

My very best pitchers went to really good baseball schools… University of Virginia, North Carolina, Miami, etc….one went to Wake Forest, one to the Citadel when they had a very good program another went to VMI when they had a very good program.

But they were highly highly sought after kids….. I had another boy that rode the pine his freshman and sophomore years in high school had a growth explosion his junior year, but was pitching behind three kids that were assured Div 1 scholarships.

Nobody really knew how good the kid was because he didn’t get to pitch that much.

William and Mary took a chance on him and he wound up pitching for Cincinnati and Washington in the bigs….

You just never know….
Loved this story. Hey, you can sell the story for a movie, right? ;)

I readily agree!! It would not break my heart to leave the B10 and go back to a "warmer-weather" conference. Apparently, many do not want to play in our conference. But, it is all about the almighty dollar!

Another Tuesday down the drain:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back