• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers host Bison - Tuesday - 3-28-23 - 6:05 pm CT - Haymarket Park

Valid point…..

Sometimes when relationships fall apart players just look elsewhere.

The thing about the portal is that ALL the people who enter think they are going to be picked up by someone else.

I don’t know what it is in baseball but I read somewhere that in football it was right around 50%.

and what that means is a kid has a scholarship……

and then he doesn’t……

Dicey…. Especially for a Northwestern kid. who, as you have pointed out, is not exactly coming from a great baseball factory.

The more I think about it I think you are exactly correct.

I should backtrack some.

This past offseason, Northwestern lost of bunch of players to the portal. Maybe all their best talent. This happened due to a coaching change. The first link below outlines that. They went from some talent last season to basically no experienced talent this year.

Coaching changes tend to result in significant turnover. In 2021, Arizona (a very solid program) had 20 players enter the portal after a coaching change. Second link is a good read.

"A record 2,404 NCAA Div. I baseball players entered the transfer portal in 2022."

Corrected….never trust looking at the Big 10 standings page.

Lesson learned
LOL. It probably was not up to date, John. Heck, sometimes I will repeat what Greg Sharpe or Ben Laughlin tells me, and it turns out to be wrong, then I have to eat their words. :)

Last edited:
I should backtrack some.

This past offseason, Northwestern lost of bunch of players to the portal. Maybe all their best talent. This happened due to a coaching change. The first link below outlines that. They went from some talent last season to basically no experienced talent this year.

Coaching changes tend to result in significant turnover. In 2021, Arizona (a very solid program) had 20 players enter the portal after a coaching change. Second link is a good read.

"A record 2,404 NCAA Div. I baseball players entered the transfer portal in 2022."

INDIANAPOLIS — The nightmare continues. The NCAA’s one-time transfer rule for NCAA Division I athletes, better known as the transfer portal, has allowed star players to bolt for greener pastures at other universities in record numbers.

Many are searching for the elusive pot of gold at high profile programs with name, image and likeness (NIL) deals as college athletes receive compensation using their brand which is used in promotional endeavors.

Some coaches, via third parties, are tampering with elite players at other schools, according to coaches Collegiate Baseball contacted, as star players are enticed to enter the transfer portal.

Even All-Americans are leaving programs they starred at.

Have to take the good with the bad? Or, do we? How would you fix it this, HWM, if you could? Seems like they have opened another Pandora's Box?

Have to take the good with the bad? Or, do we? How would you fix it this, HWM, if you could? Seems like they have opened another Pandora's Box?
It’s changing College Football and athletics in general.

For the better?? Well, players certainly have more options now but I think the portal is a very dicey step for probably 75% of the kids who enter.

In football, approximately half of them who enter the portal, never see a scholarship again.

NIL the other HUGE change.

Congress getting involved now with NIL hearings…get your popcorn!

All they have to do is call witnesses from Texas A&M and Florida and then fireworks!! Oh my!

It’s changing College Football and athletics in general.

For the better?? Well, players certainly have more options now but I think the portal is a very dicey step for probably 75% of the kids who enter.

In football, approximately half of them who enter the portal, never see a scholarship again.

NIL the other HUGE change.

Congress getting involved now with NIL hearings…get your popcorn!

All they have to do is call witnesses from Texas A&M and Florida and then fireworks!!
Hmm! It should be very interesting!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back