• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Huskers after JUCO DE & WR From Iowa Western CC (DE NE kid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If both Florida and Nebraska have offered, there must be something there that makes big-time programs interested.

See and I did awesome in calculus in college....so much for that...:)

Looks like you are right....WVU, sit, NM, Western Iowa....4 years....so yeah 1-1....worth it? I don't know....

Maybe the coaches can talk him into not playing at IWCC this year.

Must be more to it than the obvious.

NEW MEXICO: Impact player with a playmaker's mentality...very athletic, with great speed and jumping ability...sat out the 2010 season due to transfer rules after coming to UNM from West Virginia University...has four years to play four...will immediately battle for a starting role this year...Long has been reunited with his high school coach - Craig Jefferies - who is in his first season as the Lobos' receivers coach.

http://www.golobos.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/long_deon00.html

TRANSFER YEAR (2010): Sat out the 2010 season at New Mexico due to transfer rules...spent most of the season working on the scout team and developing as a player

Last edited:
Must be more to it than the obvious.

NEW MEXICO: Impact player with a playmaker's mentality...very athletic, with great speed and jumping ability...sat out the 2010 season due to transfer rules after coming to UNM from West Virginia University...has four years to play four...will immediately battle for a starting role this year...Long has been reunited with his high school coach - Craig Jefferies - who is in his first season as the Lobos' receivers coach.

http://www.golobos.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/long_deon00.html

TRANSFER YEAR (2010): Sat out the 2010 season at New Mexico due to transfer rules...spent most of the season working on the scout team and developing as a player

Ok so apparently WVU didn't count against him or something? The math here is confusing... WVU and sitting a year for transferring only counted one year total - assuming RS based on the following numbers - he was 4 for 4 upon arriving @ UNM for the 2011 season, then he would be 3 for 3 @ Western IA for '12, and 2 for 2 for '13. There is no way you would offer him though if he was 1 for 1, so yes, definitely missing some details.

Last edited:

Correct it appears he is a 2-2 guy after all....so he actually enrolled at WVU.....but left with in a couple of months thus never actually played football or RS etc...

Long, who enrolled in January but hasn't participated in spring practice, is reportedly looking at a handful of schools, although not all have offered scholarships

Long twice signed letters of intent with West Virginia, first out of high school and then after a semester at Hargrave Military Acadmey. He didn't qualify academically the first time, but stuck with his commitment.

http://sundaygazettemail.com/Sports/201004160915

Some more info:

Long came to West Virginia this winter from Hargrave Military Academy after having a sensational career at Dunbar High School in Washington D.C., the same school that produced Illinois receiver Arrelious Benn.

He didn’t possess the same type of size as Heastie but he was every bit as explosive.

After enrolling in January, Long showed little dedication to winter workouts and seemed aloof from the team.

After not making the initial spring roster, it seemed inevitable that the two would eventually depart from the school. Even with Bill Stewart saying he would welcome them back if they were ready to do the work, neither seemed up for the challenge.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/380213-logan-heastie-and-deon-long-say-bye-bye-to-morgantown

Ok so apparently WVU didn't count against him or something? The math here is confusing... WVU and sitting a year for transferring only counted one year total - assuming RS based on the following numbers - he was 4 for 4 upon arriving @ UNM for the 2011 season, then he would be 3 for 3 @ Western IA for '12, and 2 for 2 for '13. There is no way you would offer him though if he was 1 for 1, so yes, definitely missing some details.

Last edited:
Anyone see him play in high school?

Spoke to my coaching friends that coach at 2 different Lincoln schools then the one that coaches at Central and they all basically said that they didn't recognize the name and they didn't game plan to avoid him like they did, for example, against Ricky Henry at Burke. So not a ton of noise out of high school.

That means basically nothing though as he could have been a late bloomer and that could have contributed to his success at IWCC. I would take the competition Western plays with a grain of salt, but he dominates that competition, which is what you want to see.

Thanks....

Sounds like from what I have read he stepped up this past season....as you pointed out and perhaps that is what the staff noticed too...

Spoke to my coaching friends that coach at 2 different Lincoln schools then the one that coaches at Central and they all basically said that they didn't recognize the name and they didn't game plan to avoid him like they did, for example, against Ricky Henry at Burke. So not a ton of noise out of high school.

That means basically nothing though as he could have been a late bloomer and that could have contributed to his success at IWCC. I would take the competition Western plays with a grain of salt, but he dominates that competition, which is what you want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back