• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Husker NFL Draft Memorial

dallasblackshirt

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Saturday's spring game was a blast to watch. It's probably been 15 years or more since I saw a husker QB actually be able to make all the different throws. As fun as the spring game was following the NFL draft and the lack of having any huskers selected was a depressing reminder of how bad we have been

It was no surprise for most of us that the huskers had no one taken during the 2024 draft as there were almost no comments on this board. But if crystalizes what the likely cause of us having a 24-44 record since the 2018 season

Since the 2019 draft, the huskers have had a total of 9 players, or 1.5 picks per year, selected across the last six drafts. Factoids
  • 6 of the 9 were high school recruits with only 2 being signed by SF in his first / 2018 class
  • 3 of the 9 were transfers signed by SF
  • In 2023 and 2024 only 2 huskers were selected and both were transfer students who played only 1 season here
The last six drafts are a litmus test for why we struggled and clearly point out it how it got worse over time. Was it a lack of talent or development? SF classes had star power but lacked having a cohesive strategy. But the more likely culprit was the regressive development of players as we trained them to be bigger, slower and mentally weak over their time in the husker program.

And I know some will point out that 2024 draft might have had a pick or two had Ty, Nash, Luke, etc chosen to go to the draft. But does anyone really believe had these players been coached by the other staff that any of them would get drafted? For fun, I will spot you one or two picks in rounds 6 or 7. Instead, these same players chose to come back likely for development, culture, and god forbid to be on a team with a winning record

So a return to the 90's is upon us when we had 5 to 7 drafted per year and with that comes more winning records :)

Saturday's spring game was a blast to watch. It's probably been 15 years or more since I saw a husker QB actually be able to make all the different throws. As fun as the spring game was following the NFL draft and the lack of having any huskers selected was a depressing reminder of how bad we have been

It was no surprise for most of us that the huskers had no one taken during the 2024 draft as there were almost no comments on this board. But if crystalizes what the likely cause of us having a 24-44 record since the 2018 season

Since the 2019 draft, the huskers have had a total of 9 players, or 1.5 picks per year, selected across the last six drafts. Factoids
  • 6 of the 9 were high school recruits with only 2 being signed by SF in his first / 2018 class
  • 3 of the 9 were transfers signed by SF
  • In 2023 and 2024 only 2 huskers were selected and both were transfer students who played only 1 season here
The last six drafts are a litmus test for why we struggled and clearly point out it how it got worse over time. Was it a lack of talent or development? SF classes had star power but lacked having a cohesive strategy. But the more likely culprit was the regressive development of players as we trained them to be bigger, slower and mentally weak over their time in the husker program.

And I know some will point out that 2024 draft might have had a pick or two had Ty, Nash, Luke, etc chosen to go to the draft. But does anyone really believe had these players been coached by the other staff that any of them would get drafted? For fun, I will spot you one or two picks in rounds 6 or 7. Instead, these same players chose to come back likely for development, culture, and god forbid to be on a team with a winning record

So a return to the 90's is upon us when we had 5 to 7 drafted per year and with that comes more winning records :)
As you pointed out, we would have had at least a couple of guys drafted, had they opted to leave vs. returning for a final year. With NIL, there is a little less pressure to rush to the NFL, especially if you are going to be a Day 3 pick or potentially UFA.

Nebraska has had and still has NFL talent on the roster. Development, as noted after Frost got fired, wasn't where it needed to be. The hope is the Rhule will fix that, and early returns make me think he is. I don't know if we are going to have any 1st/2nd round guys the next few seasons, but I definitely think you'll see an uptick in draft selections.

I don't know if we are going to have any 1st/2nd round guys the next few seasons, but I definitely think you'll see an uptick in draft selections.
I agree with you. I imagine it will take until 2026 draft or later before we start to see kids being picked in rounds 1 or 2. But I am encouraged that we are starting to see players who excel at their position across many groups and that is something we have been devoid of

I agree with you. I imagine it will take until 2026 draft or later before we start to see kids being picked in rounds 1 or 2. But I am encouraged that we are starting to see players who excel at their position across many groups and that is something we have been devoid of
Fidonel should get drafted when he decides to leave

So Luke McAffrey was drafted if I’m not mistaken. Got me to thinking about how many other guys have recently come through UNL & then transferred to another school & been drafted…. Wandale & can’t name another…..

There was a Sneaky Hembo question on ESPN’s Get Up last week … “which NFL team has drafted the most Heisman winning QBs” … answer was LA Rams … having drafted amongst others Eric Crouch.

So Luke McAffrey was drafted if I’m not mistaken. Got me to thinking about how many other guys have recently come through UNL & then transferred to another school & been drafted…. Wandale & can’t name another…..
Luke McCaffrey … another athlete who insisted on playing QB untill he finally woke up and accepted a move to a position that fit his physical profile more appropriately.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back