• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Husker IMPACT On The Game

OmahaBorn

Recruit
2 Year Member
I could run on and on but most might not read it so I'll keep it short(er) than I might otherwise.

I have been wondering about a few things this season. As the non-conference part comes to an end the Big Ten standings look a bit odd … don’t they? As I write this Maryland is 9-2, Rutgers is 8-2, Penn State is 5-3, Minnesota is 4-3, Ohio State is 3-6, etc. It’s all a little inside out.

Moving on, I am trying to watch every match with a critical eye (attached to a guy who only thinks he understands volleyball). I am more excited now than I have been since the 2015 season when I was a fanboy of Justine Wong-Orantes. The things I have been wondering about the Huskers generally, and the team members specifically, are all about the IMPACT they are having on the game.

In no particular order:
  • The IMPACT of the game at Memorial Stadium may never be adequately quantified. What the University did for volleyball and women’s sport cannot be easily measured. I’m not sure the event could have been successful anywhere else considering the level of support and the success of Nebraska volleyball at any and every level in the state.
  • The IMPACT of the various transfers around the conference has, in my mind, not been as IMPACTful as some of the coaching staffs have hoped. I’m thinking that the most important transfer was probably Podraza, just based on her position and skill set. What has happened though is Merritt Beason. I submit that, at this point in the season, she is the best, most effective transfer to a new team we have seen in this conference or any other. Six rotation player and a beast in the back row.
  • The IMPACT of the freshman has been major. They are, as a group, talented, skillful, and a pleasure to watch. Bergen Reilly is a savant as a setter. She will set records before she’s done. Harper Murry and Andi Jackson are skilled beyond their years and, while they sometimes play with abandon, they are growing with every match. Very high volleyball IQ as a group.
  • The IMPACT of the defense on the success of the team has been stellar. Different than last season, but equal to the task I think. Laney Choboy is exceptional so far and not bad at the service line. Lexi Rodriguez can do it all and proves it. Watch her carefully as she chases down a ball and then sets it perfectly from a back corner to one of the pins. Pure pleasure.

I agree several of the conference transfers have not been as impactful as I thought they would be. Podraza is one, TTA at Wisconsin is another. But Booth at Wisconsin has maybe been more impactful than Beason. Beason has had a really tough start, but her role as captain has had a positive impact, and her hitting seems to have turned a corner now that an experiment on setting her has apparently ended.

I could run on and on but most might not read it so I'll keep it short(er) than I might otherwise.

I have been wondering about a few things this season. As the non-conference part comes to an end the Big Ten standings look a bit odd … don’t they? As I write this Maryland is 9-2, Rutgers is 8-2, Penn State is 5-3, Minnesota is 4-3, Ohio State is 3-6, etc. It’s all a little inside out.

Moving on, I am trying to watch every match with a critical eye (attached to a guy who only thinks he understands volleyball). I am more excited now than I have been since the 2015 season when I was a fanboy of Justine Wong-Orantes. The things I have been wondering about the Huskers generally, and the team members specifically, are all about the IMPACT they are having on the game.

In no particular order:
  • The IMPACT of the game at Memorial Stadium may never be adequately quantified. What the University did for volleyball and women’s sport cannot be easily measured. I’m not sure the event could have been successful anywhere else considering the level of support and the success of Nebraska volleyball at any and every level in the state.
  • The IMPACT of the various transfers around the conference has, in my mind, not been as IMPACTful as some of the coaching staffs have hoped. I’m thinking that the most important transfer was probably Podraza, just based on her position and skill set. What has happened though is Merritt Beason. I submit that, at this point in the season, she is the best, most effective transfer to a new team we have seen in this conference or any other. Six rotation player and a beast in the back row.
  • The IMPACT of the freshman has been major. They are, as a group, talented, skillful, and a pleasure to watch. Bergen Reilly is a savant as a setter. She will set records before she’s done. Harper Murry and Andi Jackson are skilled beyond their years and, while they sometimes play with abandon, they are growing with every match. Very high volleyball IQ as a group.
  • The IMPACT of the defense on the success of the team has been stellar. Different than last season, but equal to the task I think. Laney Choboy is exceptional so far and not bad at the service line. Lexi Rodriguez can do it all and proves it. Watch her carefully as she chases down a ball and then sets it perfectly from a back corner to one of the pins. Pure pleasure.
Agree with most of that. Hard to argue that defense has been MORE impactful than last year? We led the nation in defense last year, so I can't see it being more impactful this year. The greater impact as compared to last year has been our improved offense, partly due to the additions of Beason, Murray, and Jackson, but I think mostly due to improved setting from Reilly.

I agree several of the conference transfers have not been as impactful as I thought they would be. Podraza is one, TTA at Wisconsin is another. But Booth at Wisconsin has maybe been more impactful than Beason. Beason has had a really tough start, but her role as captain has had a positive impact, and her hitting seems to have turned a corner now that an experiment on setting her has apparently ended.
Lots of matches left but Beason has more points than Booth to date and I think she has a larger impact on the team than Booth does on Wisky. To be fair though, I've only watched highlights of a couple of the Wisconsin games.

I'm just getting on now. Wisconsin is down two sets to Florida, but looks like they're coming back in the third, handily up 14 5
They are on espn as I speak

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back