• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How many quarters can our defense hang with OU?

2 - 3. Only 2 if we make our typical halftime "adjustments" and 3 if our adjustments work. In the end I think our offense keeps them on the field in the second half due to 3 and outs and poor play.

I’m not worried about our D. I’m worried they will be hung out to dry by offensive play calling, clock mismanagement, penalties, turnovers, and special teams blunders. In other words they will be on the field all afternoon.

Based on the Illinois game the end of Second quarter the wheels come off.

Last edited:

The top 11 in the offensive line includes 7 freshmen. Three of them start. All three LT's are freshmen. Martinez has played good games so far, but he will be running for his life against OU. That could lead to turnovers. And then of course our special teams are still a disaster.

While I think if everything is perfect we can hang for a while, it is much more likely that OU runs away with this game in the second half. I think OU will beat the spread.

No doubt he will be running for his life but most of those "freshman" have been in the program for 3 years. So they are technically either Juniors or RS Sophomores.

C

Last edited:

Our defense is fine. They keep us close in many games despite dreadful turnovers and short drives by our offense that keep the defense on the field a ton. I'm not worried about them staying fresh. Oklahoma will get their points because they're Oklahoma and they have one of the best offenses in the country. Most likely, it wouldn't be an indictment of our defense if Oklahoma scores 42+.

Also, this is the first time in a long time I feel like we have a DL that can not only get pressure but also get the sack. Most of our defenses in recent years have been able to pressure QBs only to let them wiggle out of pressure, or maybe the pressure came just a moment too late and the QB still had enough time to make a throw. This year we seem a bit quicker attacking the QB.

I agree it may only be 1 or 2 quarters, unless we can move the ball and play some keep away. Looks like their corners are their defense's weakest link. Hoping offense takes advantage with options, swing passes, TE drags, bootlegs etc. These may open up base runs, counters and downfield opportunities. If we can trade scores and extend game they may press and I think our defense is good enough to rise to the occasion. GBR.

It will be interesting to see our defensive matchup against OU. Nobody is expecting them to stop OU but hopefully keep it reasonable. I suspect they can hold on as long as the offense does. It seems too often than not that our defensive breakdowns come approximately a full quarter after the offense breaks down.
That is the ticket. In today's game of spread / speed / basketball on grass, it's rare to see even the best Ds shut down a good offense. The key is for (1) our offense to hold time of possession (giving our D a break and wearing down theirs) and (2) our D to shut down the Sooners and get off the field. Chinander has done a good job of building a "bend but don't break" D. What I hate seeing is when we pin the opponent inside their 10 YL, then the D proceeds to "bend" for a 90-yard drive. We need stops on 3rd downs.

As a very wise coach once said, "fatigue makes cowards of us all." Keep the D fresh and we'll see the rewards.

To me, it’s more about our offense and ST’s keeping pace and not creating a deficit. Our defense has shown it can hang, IMO. Big jump in athletes vs. Fordham…but it’s still football.

That is the ticket. In today's game of spread / speed / basketball on grass, it's rare to see even the best Ds shut down a good offense. The key is for (1) our offense to hold time of possession (giving our D a break and wearing down theirs) and (2) our D to shut down the Sooners and get off the field. Chinander has done a good job of building a "bend but don't break" D. What I hate seeing is when we pin the opponent inside their 10 YL, then the D proceeds to "bend" for a 90-yard drive. We need stops on 3rd downs.

As a very wise coach once said, "fatigue makes cowards of us all." Keep the D fresh and we'll see the rewards.
Exactly. The D hasn’t been any good at all. It’s an illusion Nebraska fans are holding onto. Until this defense does something against a team that’s good, it’s just an average D at best. I’m not really even sure where this good defense thing is even coming from. Who have they stopped? Buffalo? Fordham? Rutgers? Ok, you got me there. We will see what this D is made of Saturday.

Tulane almost beat OU, I think we can too. OU has proven over the past so many years that their D will give and break, we just have to take care of the ball when we are driving.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back