• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How long for Doc?

Skunkman1

Husker Immortal Love Tool
15 Year Member
Sorry to start up a whole new thread on this, but "OH Well!"

If this year goes on like it looks like it will, how long before Dr Tom pulls the plug on Doc? Will the "Injuries" give Doc the whole year?
Does Tom give Doc the whole year because that is the swell guy that Tom is? Or does Tom stop the bleeding fast so that a new coach can come in and start recruiting?

Just for the record as I assume many were wondering (like I was), Doc is under contract until the end of the 2016 season - June 30, 2016 to be exact.

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska coach Doc Sadler heads to the Big Ten with a two-year contract extension through the 2015-16 season.The 50-year-old Sadler is 89-70 in five seasons with the Cornhuskers, including 30-50 in Big 12 games. His teams have never made the NCAA tournament.
The Huskers are 19-12 entering Wednesday night's first-round NIT game at Wichita State.
Athletic director Tom Osborne said Tuesday that he's pleased with the job Sadler has done. Terms were not disclosed. Sadler is getting $800,000 this year.
A new practice facility opens next year, and the team moves into a new downtown arena in 2013.

As of March 2011, Osborne and Boehm seem very committed to Sadler:

LINCOLN — Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne used his usual low-key manner Tuesday to handle Doc Sadler's contract extension as head men's basketball coach.“Coach Osborne told me he wanted to offer me two more years," Sadler said.

His reply?

“I said, ‘Thanks,' †Sadler said.

And that's how the fifth-year coach moved the end date of his deal at Nebraska to June 30, 2016. The extension gives Sadler ample time to work in the $18 million practice facility set to open in October, and the new city arena scheduled to open for the 2013-14 season.

Said Osborne: “We feel with the facilities improvements we are making in basketball and the players Doc has returning that the future looks bright."

Changes in the financial terms of Sadler's new deal are being drafted. Marc Boehm, NU's executive associate A.D. and overseer of basketball, said deciding the details likely will take two weeks.

“I always said I wanted to be part of something special that hasn't been done here," Sadler said in reference to NU never having won an NCAA tournament game (0-6).

“To have the support of the athletic director and the department means a lot. I truly think we are really, really close to making this happen."

Sadler was hired from UTEP in August 2006 for six years at a salary of $700,000. In April 2008, the deal was extended two years through 2014 and the pay was raised to $800,000.

With annual raises, Sadler's current pay is about $850,000.

In the past week, Sadler has been mentioned as a possible candidate to fill openings at Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Arkansas. Unknown to many, Sadler was approached about a BCS conference opening last season, even though the Huskers went 2-14 in Big 12 play.

With the respect Sadler has in college basketball, Boehm said, future phone calls for his services in connection to other jobs are likely.

“But Doc has said he's committed to us, and we wanted to show we are committed, too," Boehm said. “We feel we're on the verge."

Nebraska (19-12) plays at Wichita State on Wednesday night in the NIT. It is NU's third NIT bid in Sadler's five seasons.

Overall, Sadler is 89-70 (.559). In Big 12 play, he was 30-50 (.375) with finishes of T-7th, T-7th, 8th, 12th and T-7th. In two of the past three seasons, the Huskers have been in the NCAA tourney conversation into late February or early March.

“We've taken steps," Boehm said. “It's taken a little longer than we all want. But with Doc doing everything the right way and the integrity of the program, he's our guy for the long haul."

Last edited:

IF, and I think it's still a pretty big IF at this point, Osborne decides to find a new coach, it won't be until the season is over. We know that we can expect class from this AD.

Unless Doc turns things around with some surprising victories in conference, I would have a hard time understanding keeping him after 6 seasons and a finish dead last in the conference.

I think Doc needs some play makers, we have no one except #23, who can beat a defender off the dribble.

Last edited:
I think Doc needs some play makers, we have no one except #23, who can beat a defender off the dribble.
You would hope after 6 years he would have ONE playmaker, but again we have nobody. Class coming in for next year looks the same as the freshman class we have now....just so-so players.

Just for the record as I assume many were wondering (like I was), Doc is under contract until the end of the 2016 season - June 30, 2016 to be exact.

As of March 2011, Osborne and Boehm seem very committed to Sadler:

Exactly, Doc is not going anywhere. I think he should but TO won't change his position that quickly, just to save face.... unlike one person on here has tried to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry to start up a whole new thread on this, but "OH Well!"

If this year goes on like it looks like it will, how long before Dr Tom pulls the plug on Doc? Will the "Injuries" give Doc the whole year?
Does Tom give Doc the whole year because that is the swell guy that Tom is? Or does Tom stop the bleeding fast so that a new coach can come in and start recruiting?

Injuries, the new conference and the arena will be TO's excuses for keeping a the Failed Doc Sadler around. Just my guess.

That contract does make it highly, highly unlikely that Doc is going anywhere outside of Lincoln anytime soon.

Mike Anderson was fired a year shy of his contract being completed... and was making less than half of Sadler's salary. And with the new arena set to open for next season, the current dwindling attendance is less of a concern than it was for baseball at Haymarket Park. Heck, plenty of people will want to attend Husker basketball games next season just to see the new arena -- regardless of the product on the floor -- so that buys Osborne more time.

Only one problem with your theory. They still play a BD next year and will not be in the new arean untill the fall of 2013.

That contract does make it highly, highly unlikely that Doc is going anywhere outside of Lincoln anytime soon.

Mike Anderson was fired a year shy of his contract being completed... and was making less than half of Sadler's salary. And with the new arena set to open for next season, the current dwindling attendance is less of a concern than it was for baseball at Haymarket Park. Heck, plenty of people will want to attend Husker basketball games next season just to see the new arena -- regardless of the product on the floor -- so that buys Osborne more time.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back