• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How Clemson became Alabama

Sorry I didn't realize it wouldn't pull up the full article.....let me see what I can do

Dirk Chatelain has a tweet that really makes me sad:

I was at that Gator Bowl. At the pep rally they showed one of Bo's locker room pep talks--fire and brimstone--on the big screen. Our defense held off a late 4th quarter Clemson drive to win the game. I was convinced we were in good hands. I felt pretty good about the future. It took another 10 years to get that feeling back.

I was at that Gator Bowl. At the pep rally they showed one of Bo's locker room pep talks--fire and brimstone--on the big screen. Our defense held off a late 4th quarter Clemson drive to win the game. I was convinced we were in good hands. I felt pretty good about the future. It took another 10 years to get that feeling back.
It’s crazy, those Nebraska players would run thru a wall for that guy. We saw what happened when people just didn’t believe in a coach, Callahan and watching guys like McKeon not tackle people against Oklahoma State or the Riley era. I’ve heard so many things about what Bo was told to do or not do, who he could recruit and not recruit which put us in awful situations trying to pull in a full class in January. I thought Bo was a very good between the lines coach, he just struggled with the off the field stuff and was defiant which you just can’t do.

Circle this back and glass is half full it, Frost will get people to run thru a wall for him and is just as good of an offensive mind as Bo was defensive. Good times ahead.

Nobody knew at the time, but that was a case of two ships passing in the night. For one day, it was Bo > Dabo... but the programs headed in opposite directions afterwards.

Yup.
Dabo at Clemson: 79%
NU during Dabo era: 62%

It’s crazy, those Nebraska players would run thru a wall for that guy. We saw what happened when people just didn’t believe in a coach, Callahan and watching guys like McKeon not tackle people against Oklahoma State or the Riley era. I’ve heard so many things about what Bo was told to do or not do, who he could recruit and not recruit which put us in awful situations trying to pull in a full class in January. I thought Bo was a very good between the lines coach, he just struggled with the off the field stuff and was defiant which you just can’t do.

Circle this back and glass is half full it, Frost will get people to run thru a wall for him and is just as good of an offensive mind as Bo was defensive. Good times ahead.

I to think Bo was a good x and o guy that could teach the game, but off field was bad as you say and I don’t think he would listen to other people’s opinion. He surrounded himself with yes men.

I think the money Alabama and Clemson have received for being in playoffs year after year really helps maintain their existence at the top of the college football world. I don't know if I heard right but they were talking about how Alabama recoups injuries in ways no one else does and how effective it is. They are the first ones to do it the way they do it.

I suppose one has to admire both schools for their success, but I still live in Alabama and have to put up with their god-awful insufferable fans. By the way, I was at that very same Gator bowl and the Clemson fans were just as god-awful insufferable as the 'bama fans. I hope the day comes soon when both programs are laid low again. They need to choke on some humble pie like we have over the last ten years.

I don't know the back end of Bo's recruiting restrictions but I do know that he and Perlman flat out did not get along. Bo and Mary Pat were in my house along with some other friends and they both called Perlman a F-ing Weasel. This was in Bo's early days so obviously it wasn't a pretty situation from the start. Not making excuses for Bo but it has to be hard when you don't have full support from the administration. On the other side, how would you like to deal with Bo when he disagreed with you. Oh Boy!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back