• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HNC's quick thoughts - Wisconsin

It is pretty much what I said, though I added the element of clock management in my later post which I had thought was understood in any argument about running more clock. Regardless, if your running plays are successful, which is a caveat that I clearly pointed out in my second sentence in the reply (see below) to him, running the ball will generally eat far more game clock than passing the ball does...it is just a fact, that contradicts what he said. That's why nearly every team runs the ball to eat clock rather than passing, which also gives the benefit of giving your defense a rest, something he/you are also wrong about. You see, pass plays generally are longer yardage plays and often stop the clock. If your pass attack is successful, you generally will run out of yardage, generate fewer FD's, won't eat much clock...though you might score. Generally you'll move down field faster with passing than running, though the reverse can be true if you are busting long runs. SF needs to know when to throttle back tempo and eat some clock when necessary, and a successful rushing attack is the best way to do it. You can have the last word, because you will never convince me that passing eats as much clock as rushing if both are successful.
Game clock does not rest players. Actual time does. If the defense sits on the sideline for 3 minutes worth of rushing that burns up 3 minutes of game clock or 3 minutes of incomplete passes that burns up 1 minute of game time it doesn't matter. The key is get first downs and get them more actual rest time.

Imagine the outcry if that scenario had played out under the previous coach.
There would be hell to pay if, at half time, our RBs had a combined 2 rushes. And coming off a week in which one back ran for 170 yards? Yikes!

We were down 6-0, had easily been outplayed, but had the ball 1st and 10 at Wisconsin's 18 yard line. A TD and we're somehow leading! Three pass attempts later, and we're settling for a FG.

:Deadhorse:

One more beat the dead horse post. First and very thankfully, HCSF is likely not going to have a problem with Devine Ozigbo ... I think Ozigbo has his head and heart in all the right places.

Knowing a strength of Wisconsin was along the line of scrimmage ... why would we have wanted to start off the game with Devine 'left, right and up the middle' for a yard or two gain and likely a loss that would have also resulted in the same three & outs?

I expected that we would probably throw the ball more and attack the perimeter Saturday as I read enough on these same threads & other sources previous week to understand that Wisconsin's weaknesses on defense were associated with injuries (three CBs and at least one OLB), speed on the edge and perhaps a secondary that could be exploited by our offense.

I do expect Ozigbo to carry a bigger load against NW ... but, the "damned if you do and damned if you don't" perspectives on the board for this coming weekend will be the groans of why Mo didn't get more touches with his speed and breakaway moves!

GBR!

:Deadhorse:

One more beat the dead horse post. First and very thankfully, HCSF is likely not going to have a problem with Devine Ozigbo ... I think Ozigbo has his head and heart in all the right places.

Knowing a strength of Wisconsin was along the line of scrimmage ... why would we have wanted to start off the game with Devine 'left, right and up the middle' for a yard or two gain and likely a loss that would have also resulted in the same three & outs?

I expected that we would probably throw the ball more and attack the perimeter Saturday as I read enough on these same threads & other sources previous week to understand that Wisconsin's weaknesses on defense were associated with injuries (three CBs and at least one OLB), speed on the edge and perhaps a secondary that could be exploited by our offense.

I do expect Ozigbo to carry a bigger load against NW ... but, the "damned if you do and damned if you don't" perspectives on the board for this coming weekend will be the groans of why Mo didn't get more touches with his speed and breakaway moves!

GBR!
Have you seen anyone advocate for handing the ball off to Ozigbo non-stop? I haven't.

I guarantee you that if prior to the game, if you asked everyone here if giving the RBs two first half carries would be a good plan, not a single poster would think so.

Wisconsin has 1 loss on the year. It was a home loss to BYU. BYU beat Wisconsin by lining up and ramming the ball down their throats. Wisconsin's defense can be exploited a number of ways, not just by going 4 and 5 wide and airing the ball out play after play on the road and with a true freshman QB making his 4th career start.

There would be hell to pay if, at half time, our RBs had a combined 2 rushes. And coming off a week in which one back ran for 170 yards? Yikes!

We were down 6-0, had easily been outplayed, but had the ball 1st and 10 at Wisconsin's 18 yard line. A TD and we're somehow leading! Three pass attempts later, and we're settling for a FG.
No doubt. Midway through the 2nd quarter I couldn't believe that we were still only down 6-3. Ziggy has been a mystery to me during his tenure at NU. It seems like every year he steps up with a big game or two and then disappears.

How did we get to the 18? We rushed once for 4 yards and went 4-6 passing for 48 yards.

How did we get to the 18? We rushed once for 4 yards and went 4-6 passing for 48 yards.
Yes. Passing the ball got us into the red zone. That doesn't mean you should forget how crucial an effective rushing attack is to red zone offenses.

Passing the ball also got us 3 points in the 1st half on our way to a 20-3 deficit.

Yes. Passing the ball got us into the red zone. That doesn't mean you should forget how crucial an effective rushing attack is to red zone offenses.

Passing the ball also got us 3 points in the 1st half on our way to a 20-3 deficit.

I think a lot of it had to do with what Wisconsin was showing defensively. i'm not saying I disagree with your point, but the offense definitely had some success passing in the first half.

I think a lot of it had to do with what Wisconsin was showing defensively. i'm not saying I disagree with your point, but the offense definitely had some success passing in the first half.
Inconsistent success that led to one FG. Even on that drive, we got tot he 18 by converting a 3rd and 16 after holding on a passing attempt. Inconsistency is what we've seen all year from the offense. A sack, a holding penalty...it doesn't take much, and we're good for either.

Ozigbo is beautifully consistent.

Our leading rusher (attempts) was a true freshman QB playing with a brace on his knee and being backed up by a walk on who was 4th string until players transferred out. And Martinez didn't just have the most rushes, he hadn't more than both RBs combined. Not feeling that.

Last edited:
Inconsistent success that led to one FG. Even on that drive, we got tot he 18 by converting a 3rd and 16 after holding on a passing attempt. Inconsistency is what we've seen all year from the offense. A sack, a holding penalty...it doesn't take much, and we're good for either.

Our leading rusher (attempts) was a true freshman QB playing with a brace on his knee and being backed up by a walk on who was 4th string until players transferred out. And Martinez didn't just have the most rushes, he hadn't more than both RBs combined. Not feeling that.

If it weren't for penalties (again), they would have had more than points though. I do agree with you that a little more running, especially early, might have been beneficial. But the passing game was there all night.

Well this is all unproven logic. Automatically assuming that the running game would have worked better is not a fact. I'll trust the coaches have a better idea what will work than an armchair QB making the statements after the fact. I think most logical people knew we were going to struggle against their defensive line running and would have had a similar game plan as what this staff did. Trying to claim differently after the fact is easy to see through.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back