• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

History is Repeating Itself

rw120555

Junior Varsity
20 Year Member
In 1968, Heisman Trophy winner Steve Owens and Oklahoma destroyed Nebraska 47-0.

In the 1969 rematch, the Huskers stunned the Sooners 44-14, and in the process ended Owens' 16 game scoring streak.

In 1970, just two years after the Oklahoma debacle, Nebraska won its first national championship.

And in 1971, the Huskers produced the greatest college football team the world has ever seen.

The score of tonight's game with Ohio State is virtually identical to the score of that 1968 game with Oklahoma.

The historical parallels are uncanny.

Nebraskans have gone through these turmoils before, and emerged victorious. We will do so again.

I don't put a lot into this loss other than OSU is way better than NU right now. Its September, so I don't give a ton of credence to this game. The most disturbing part is Martinez and his mindless turnovers.

In 1968, Heisman Trophy winner Steve Owens and Oklahoma destroyed Nebraska 47-0.

In the 1969 rematch, the Huskers stunned the Sooners 44-14, and in the process ended Owens' 16 game scoring streak.

In 1970, just two years after the Oklahoma debacle, Nebraska won its first national championship.

And in 1971, the Huskers produced the greatest college football team the world has ever seen.

The score of tonight's game with Ohio State is virtually identical to the score of that 1968 game with Oklahoma.

Nebraskans have gone through these turmoils before, and emerged victorious. We will do so again.

Wish you would have added the word...soon!

I believe I'll be dead before they do.

They laughed at me when I predicted a Nebraska National Championship in 1970. They laughed again when I predicted a repeat in 1971. Similar scorn and derision were received when I foresaw titles in 1994 and 1995. And they laughed hardest of all when I said another championship was coming in 1997.

Well, look who's laughing now. The satisfaction of knowing that - despite all the mockery, despite all the derision, I stood by my convictions, and was proven right - more than makes up for having people also laugh at me in 1972-1993, 1996, and 1998-Present.

Remember, Harvey Perlman took over the greatest college football program the world has ever seen and turned it into a smoldering ruins. Such carnage and devastation cannot be undone overnight. But I remain confident that Scott Frost will be able to fix it.

They laughed at me when I predicted a Nebraska National Championship in 1970. They laughed again when I predicted a repeat in 1971. Similar scorn and derision were received when I foresaw titles in 1994 and 1995. And they laughed hardest of all when I said another championship was coming in 1997.

Well, look who's laughing now. The satisfaction of knowing that - despite all the mockery, despite all the derision, I stood by my convictions, and was proven right - more than makes up for having people also laugh at me in 1972-1993, 1996, and 1998-Present.

Remember, Harvey Perlman took over the greatest college football program the world has ever seen and turned it into a smoldering ruins. Such carnage and devastation cannot be undone overnight. But I remain confident that Scott Frost will be able to fix it.

This just means you're old, rw! :)

I'm also laughing now. Due to aging and senility.

Man, I opened this thread expecting to find out we plan on firing Frost after we beat Iowa and secure a 9 win season....

Man, you get laughed at a LOT!,

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back