• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hiring Friends

SWB

Red Shirt
Many at this board, as well as elsewhere, criticized FHCBP for hiring those with whom he was familiar.

CHCMR [ current head coach Mike Riley ] has filled most spots on this staff with those with whom he had previously worked.

Some of you will point out that some of those hired by FHCBP lacked the experience level that some forum members wanted.

I agree that some of those hired by FHCBP did not have the same level of training & experience that some of those hired by CHCMR have.

I contend that each of us has priorities when similar decisions are made. Money, prestige, geographical / meteorological climate, proximity to relatives, opportunities for advancement are some of the factors some of consider when me make decisions.

I support CHCMR's decision to hire those he has hired. Reportedly, at least 1 of CHCMR's choices chose to decline his offer.

I hope that ADSE made the right decision in hiring CHCMR. I hope that CHCMR's assistants, as well the players he recruits, as well as current players he decides to retain are successful in winning frequent conference and frequent national championships.

I think that ADSE & NUCHP [ NU Chancellor Harvey Perlman ] error-ed in their decisions to fire FHCBP.

SWB

Last edited:

Mike Riley's staff without the WR coach has a combined 216 years of experience.

Pelini had zero experience as a head coach and Pelini's coordinators had zero experience as coordinators before they came to NU. Had nothing to do with them being 'friends'. Had everything to do with on the job training at the expense of the program.
:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Mike Riley's staff without the WR coach has a combined 216 years of experience.

Pelini had zero experience as a head coach and Pelini's coordinators had zero experience as coordinators before they came to NU. Had nothing to do with them being 'friends'. Had everything to do with on the job training at the expense of the program.
:deadhorse:

What experience did FHCTO have as a head coach?

Giddy up!

SWB

IDK, but my guess is that HCMR, OCQBCDL, OLCMC, RBCRD, DCMB, DLCHH, LBCTB, DBCCW, and STCBR will form quite the team with whoever the WRC is. IYAM, ADSE did right in firing FHCBP. That's JMHO but IIRC it's also the opinion of many others. IYAM DONU will climb up the CFB ranks STL BICBW.

Last edited:

Giddy up!

SWB

Tom Osborne had plenty of assistants surrounding him that had just won 2 national titles at Nebraska.

It was not wise for Bo Pelini, a first time HC, to hire two GAs as full-time assistants on his first staff.

Giddy up!

SWB

The issue is the overall lack of experience of many key pieces of Pelini's staff, not just one or two guys.

TO had already been driving the NU bus long before he was handed the keys, that comparison is borderline ridiculous.

We have a new coach. Let it go. An entire month of pissing, moaning, and second guessing was more than sufficient.

The issue is the overall lack of experience of many key pieces of Pelini's staff, not just one or two guys.

TO had already been driving the NU bus long before he was handed the keys, that comparison is borderline ridiculous.

We have a new coach. Let it go. An entire month of pissing, moaning, and second guessing was more than sufficient.

Amen!

In those 216 years if experience have any of them been on a staff that has won a conference title? Just asking I haven't looked it up?

IDK, but my guess is that HCMR, OCQBCDL, OLCMC, RBCRD, DCMB, DLCHH, LBCTB, DBCCW, and STCBR will form quite the team with whoever the WRC is. IYAM, ADSE did right in firing FHCBP. That's JMHO but IIRC it's also the opinion of many others. IYAM DONU will climb up the CFB ranks STL BICBW.

:rolfl:

In those 216 years if experience have any of them been on a staff that has won a conference title? Just asking I haven't looked it up?

Good point.

I know that CHCMR has won neither a conf championship nor a league / national championship.

FHCBP was a member of successful staffs at Green Bay & San Francisco in the NFL.

SWB

I was on vacation.

Is there a rule which places time limits on comments?

I don't see it at http://www.huskermax.com/vbbs/misc.php?do=showrules

SWB

Good point.

I know that CHCMR has won neither a conf championship nor a league / national championship.

FHCBP was a member of successful staffs at Green Bay & San Francisco in the NFL.

SWB

Wrong!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back