• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hey, Bilsker and FLAS

Hopefully Husker AND jays fans can take the lead from miles and coach mac

First Mac has miles come in the locker room to watch the nu game. Then miles tells jays to 'give em hell' on his way out. No reason the fan bases...and the 'combo' fans can't be the same way.

I hope the Jays blow up Baylor!

Seems the husker loss has some people feeling the need to lash out at somebody. It's Ok. We're here for you.

edit: my bad. I forgot you were the one that started that idiotic "cu thing" thread. Issues.

I would not even give Creighton fans the joy of being compared to K-State. Grandpa Snyder has had much more success than Creighton has had. The only reason that people around here think Creighton is any good is because NU basketball has been dreadful for so long. For example K-State has more bowl wins in the last 20 years than Creighton does NCAA tourney wins. They also have played in more BCS games than Creighton has Sweet 16 games.

They should

Not if the refs are in Baylor's pocket. ;) Err...I mean not if CU puts Baylor at the line 40 times.

Baylor will absolutely get to the line more than CU (unless CU is up at the end and Baylor has to start fouling) just by the nature of the way the two teams play. CU will either hit shots from the perimeter and win or not hit and lose. It's as simple as that.

I would not even give Creighton fans the joy of being compared to K-State. Grandpa Snyder has had much more success than Creighton has had. The only reason that people around here think Creighton is any good is because NU basketball has been dreadful for so long. For example K-State has more bowl wins in the last 20 years than Creighton does NCAA tourney wins. They also have played in more BCS games than Creighton has Sweet 16 games.

Only someone who doesn't know anything about basketball would compare a basketball team to a football team. Good work.

Only someone who doesn't know anything about basketball would compare a basketball team to a football team. Good work.

Sorry, it appeared underneath the wrong quote. It was compared earlier in the thread and all I was saying was comparing comparing Creighton basketball to K-State football is not a good comparison. On the whole Creighton has not been very good at basketball, just better than Nebraska. Creighton has been very irrelevant before this year.

Sorry, it appeared underneath the wrong quote. It was compared earlier in the thread and all I was saying was comparing comparing Creighton basketball to K-State football is not a good comparison. On the whole Creighton has not been very good at basketball, just better than Nebraska. Creighton has been very irrelevant before this year.

Depends on your definition of "good" and "relevant".

Have they ever been national title contenders? No. If that's your definition of good or relevant then only a few team per year are such...and very few teams are of that caliber on a consistent basis.

But, if you compare them to their peers it's another story. But they have made 19 NCAA tournaments. Won conference championships 19 times and 12 conference tourney titles. Quite a few all americans. They've ranked in the top 10 in attendance for the last 10 years or so (long before D. McDermott came along). And now they are in a conference that will be among the top 6 year in and year out...and are poised to be a major player in said conference. Wake up...there's a great big world of college basketball outside of the Big 10 conference...excellent basketball.

Not if the refs are in Baylor's pocket. ;) Err...I mean not if CU puts Baylor at the line 40 times.

Is Hess doing the Jays game? ;)

Hey, CU is the higher seed, they're expected to move on to the Sweet 16 for the first time in quite awhile.

bilsker said:
Baylor will absolutely get to the line more than CU (unless CU is up at the end and Baylor has to start fouling) just by the nature of the way the two teams play. CU will either hit shots from the perimeter and win or not hit and lose. It's as simple as that.

it's not that simple for anyone other than CU? ;)

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of "good" and "relevant".

Have they ever been national title contenders? No. If that's your definition of good or relevant then only a few team per year are such...and very few teams are of that caliber on a consistent basis.

But, if you compare them to their peers it's another story. But they have made 19 NCAA tournaments. Won conference championships 19 times and 12 conference tourney titles. Quite a few all americans. They've ranked in the top 10 in attendance for the last 10 years or so (long before D. McDermott came along). And now they are in a conference that will be among the top 6 year in and year out...and are poised to be a major player in said conference. Wake up...there's a great big world of college basketball outside of the Big 10 conference...excellent basketball.

Just looking at the numbers Creighton is 11-19 in the NCAA tournament going into this year. That ties them for 74th amongst all schools. They have never won more than 1 game in the NCAA tournament. They have been to one Sweet 16, which was before the tournament was expanded. Since the tournament expanded 30 years ago they are 5-11

I would argue much of their success comes from being in the MVC, which is very far from a power conference. Before Wichita State made their run last year they had not sent a team to the Elite Eight since 1981 and that team was Wichita State. The MVC was generally a one to two bid league, so if you put up a halfway decent season you had a legit shot at a tournament bid. They always did well with the RPI since many of their teams were alright and not dreadful. If you lost to them it did not kill your RPI and wins against them still looked pretty good.

I would also say the Big East is an improvement over the MVC, but it is not the Big East of old. When the teams split they forgot to bring along Syracuse, Louisville, UConn, Cincy, Pitt and Notre Dame. Pretty big omissions IMO. The Big East of old was always in the argument for top conference, now the argument is between the Big 10, ACC and Big 12.

I agree there is a big world of college basketball out there. I just see Creighton as an average team having the best year they probably will ever have.

Just looking at the numbers Creighton is 11-19 in the NCAA tournament going into this year. That ties them for 74th amongst all schools. They have never won more than 1 game in the NCAA tournament. They have been to one Sweet 16, which was before the tournament was expanded. Since the tournament expanded 30 years ago they are 5-11

I would argue much of their success comes from being in the MVC, which is very far from a power conference. Before Wichita State made their run last year they had not sent a team to the Elite Eight since 1981 and that team was Wichita State. The MVC was generally a one to two bid league, so if you put up a halfway decent season you had a legit shot at a tournament bid. They always did well with the RPI since many of their teams were alright and not dreadful. If you lost to them it did not kill your RPI and wins against them still looked pretty good.

I would also say the Big East is an improvement over the MVC, but it is not the Big East of old. When the teams split they forgot to bring along Syracuse, Louisville, UConn, Cincy, Pitt and Notre Dame. Pretty big omissions IMO. The Big East of old was always in the argument for top conference, now the argument is between the Big 10, ACC and Big 12.

I agree there is a big world of college basketball out there. I just see Creighton as an average team having the best year they probably will ever have.

I've missed fRed and the games are a little boring right now....so I appreciate the opportunity to debunk your ignorance. ;)

1. 74th is better than about 250 other college programs...so that's not bad.

2. Your second paragraph is really quite full of holes. First, programs in any league are generally very similar to each other in academic and athletic commitment. While CU may not have quite fit in the academic end they were very similar to the others for most of their existence in the MVC with regard to athletics. Point being it's not like you have a Michigan amongst Southern Illinois, Bradley, etc. So if you excel in said conference you are beating them at their level...you are better..and that can't be diminished as easily as saying "well it's the ____ Conference". You're not just a big fish in a small pond. Wichita State? Are they good right now because the MVC is weak? Or are they just good? A "halfway decent" season in a 1 or 2 bid league means NIT at best. You have no room for error. Ask Missou St. when they didn't get a bid with a 22 RPI. It's HARDER to do what Wichita State is doing out of the MVC...not easier. Think about it.

3. Top leagues...Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, Big East. That's the ranking. Like it or not. The big east also currently has 6 of the top 30 recruiting classes (5 of top 25) so you might want to tell recruits that the Big East is a mid major...they'd be surprised to hear it.

4. Omissions? Cuse and the others left to chase football dollars. Basketball had nothing to do with any of that. CU was just one of the few beneficiaries of a pretty screwed up college sports scene.

5. Best season ever? It's not over so we'll see. They certainly are having a good one. But as your first paragraph pointed out the first thing people look at is tourney success...right or wrong. If they win tomorrow it will be their best season ever. (oh, for the record they've made sweet 16 3 times...and yes, all before the 64 team field). You are engaging if very wishful thinking if you think CU will fall off the map after McDermott leaves. Either wishful thinking or just lazy analysis. Will they be rebuilding? To a degree. But with 2 top 100 recruits coming and some good looking young guys that are waiting their turn the future looks bright. Don't worry. CU's continued success won't hold NU back from building on this year's. I just hope it doesn't diminish your enjoyment of NU's journey.

Again, I've never claimed CU was Duke. They aren't and never will be. A couple years ago I would have said tomorrow amounted to CU's ultimate REALISTIC expectation...making a sweet 16. Given how the landscape has changed though...the sweet 16 is just the next step...whenever that may be.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back