• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Here's hoping

Vinny

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
That when Ryan Boldt gets drafted tomorrow, whatever he is offered over the next few weeks is not enough to keep him from coming to (and staying in) Lincoln later this summer. :cheers:

Day one done and he's still on the board, has to up his chances of ending up in Lincoln, even if only a little bit.

The injury has really dropped his status. This certainly doesn't hurt the Huskers chances.

This is looking good for him wearing that N and shutting down balls hit to center field for at least the next two years. I am pumped that it's looking that way!:Biggrin:

This is looking good for him wearing that N and shutting down balls hit to center field for at least the next two years. I am pumped that it's looking that way!:Biggrin:

Nebraska is now looking very good to hang on to several recruits that were a little questionable before the draft. Derek Burkamper (rated 302 prospect by BA pre-draft) has announced on twitter that he will be attending NU next year. The draft has been very very good to NU this year (so far, and hopefully there are no recruits that pull a shocker). In general, I think the new MLB signing rules are going to be good for college baseball and lead far more high-schoolers to college than before.

Nebraska is now looking very good to hang on to several recruits that were a little questionable before the draft. Derek Burkamper (rated 302 prospect by BA pre-draft) has announced on twitter that he will be attending NU next year. The draft has been very very good to NU this year (so far, and hopefully there are no recruits that pull a shocker). In general, I think the new MLB signing rules are going to be good for college baseball and lead far more high-schoolers to college than before.
What are those new rules?

I believe there is now a limit on bonus money for a certain number of rounds, so college players who are cheaper to sign than high school studs who usually demand high signing bonuses are being picked higher.

I believe there is now a limit on bonus money for a certain number of rounds, so college players who are cheaper to sign than high school studs who usually demand high signing bonuses are being picked higher.
That's the rule I thought I saw.

Correct.....MLB has essentially assigned a value to each pick in the first 10 rounds and teams are given a bonus pool based on their picks. Teams that overpay are taxed.....and more importantly can lose a future first round pick. Teams are essentially penalized by not signing a pick in the first 10 rounds, as the money slotted for that pick is subtracted out of their pool so they can't dump the money on other picks. After the first ten rounds, any bonus over 100,000 can be added to the total and taxed as well I believe.

In general, it is now much more difficult to draft a player in the 8th round and pay 2nd round money. In previous years, a player that has a first round grade and then gets injured or drops for whatever reason (such as Boldt) could be picked up in a little later and then if the organization had the money, they could still give a huge signing bonus. That was actually fairly common for players that teams were concerned would be difficult to sign.....they wouldn't use too high of a pick, in case they couldn't sign the player, but draft him later and throw a bunch of money at him. However, teams can no longer do that, without significant penalty. That is why Boldt dropped clear to the 22 round after he didn't go early. Boldt was still rated a top 50 prospect after the injury, but after he fell out of the first round, teams knew they likely couldn't sign him (heard he was looking for 2 million +), and so he continued to drop rather than being picked up a few rounds later.

This should lead more of those HS players drafted a little later into college ball, since teams cannot overpay.

I don't think he'll be your best friend, if he reads this! :eek:

I'm thinking, these kids have a great respect for Darin, and that they are looking forward to a successful run at UNL!! :koolaid:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back