• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Helfrich?

Huskerwisdom

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Can't imagine this is really doable, but it's an interesting idea that's been tossed out.

Saban's done some things where he's hired coaches as consultants on an interim basis. If Helfrich's interested in taking some time off, that might be interesting

It would be good for the Huskers. Maybe he is ready for a lower stress gig before getting back no the game. Saban has likely already contacted him to hold his headset or something.

My guess is that Helfrich will get at least a OC job somewhere. Not impressed with some of his decisions. I don't know details but Hilfrich's Oregon went for 2 on all their 5 TD against us in 2016. They failed in all but one attempt. Maybe they had no faith in their kicker but extra points?

My guess is that Helfrich will get at least a OC job somewhere. Not impressed with some of his decisions. I don't know details but Hilfrich's Oregon went for 2 on all their 5 TD against us in 2016. They failed in all but one attempt. Maybe they had no faith in their kicker but extra points?
Good point. Maybe he would be an asset as an "analyst" as long as he's not the decision maker. But then we don't want to get caught overanalyzing either -- like we did too many times last year (e.g. just run the ball).

Really nothing from Helfrich that says he would be interested, although as an Offensive QC coach I think it would be a nice addition.

Oregon has routinely had crap kickers. Our string of guys like the Browns, Koch, Henery, Foltz, etc, is like the antithesis of the Duck kicking game.

Also, the Ducks almost ALWAYS go for 2 on the first TD. Once they failed the first, the second is like a gimme, since it ties up the game at 14. After that, it was a combination of pigheaded calls and lack of a kicking game. If they'd just kicked PATs they actually would have won.

That game was lost solely on coaching. Actually, wait. Yeah, that fits Frost's MO.

Oregon has routinely had crap kickers. Our string of guys like the Browns, Koch, Henery, Foltz, etc, is like the antithesis of the Duck kicking game.

Also, the Ducks almost ALWAYS go for 2 on the first TD. Once they failed the first, the second is like a gimme, since it ties up the game at 14. After that, it was a combination of pigheaded calls and lack of a kicking game. If they'd just kicked PATs they actually would have won.

That game was lost solely on coaching. Actually, wait. Yeah, that fits Frost's MO.

The thing is, they made their first two point attempt. I thought at the time it was just hubris and I see some of the same attitude in Frost (e.g., "We hope the B1G has to adjust to us."). Is that a Chip Kelly legacy? All you need is a guy who can make more than 50% of PATs and you'll do better than going for 2 every time.

The thing is, they made their first two point attempt. I thought at the time it was just hubris and I see some of the same attitude in Frost (e.g., "We hope the B1G has to adjust to us."). Is that a Chip Kelly legacy? All you need is a guy who can make more than 50% of PATs and you'll do better than going for 2 every time.

It's a Chip Kelly thing. Swinging Gate formation.

The problem is, like a lot of Chip Kelly stuff, how imitators are vastly less successful. Kinda like NU and OU running triple options and wishbones. Nobody else just did it quite as good.

All you need is a guy who can make more than 50% of PATs and you'll do better than going for 2 every time.
Huh? If you're only making just over half of your attempts at kicking the PAT, you could go for 2 and make it just over 1/4th of the time and still even out. A 2-point PAT is just under 50% success rate, and some of those fails are because of crappy play calls and poor execution, so if you can drill it and keep it simple (which Kelly did), it is reasonable to expect that going for 2 will at least equal getting the automatic 1-pt kick. Going for 2 early in the game should be a choice, and it should be based on numbers and matchups. Early in the game would mean that there is less pressure, but that extra point can pay off huge down the road. Yes, it worked out great for Nebraska in 2016, but that doesn't mean that the theory is wrong.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back