• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Heard A Great Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big "D"zasker

Varsity
5 Year Member
While watching the UConn-Duke women's basketball game last night they had a little segment showing a UConn practice. One of the players said Geno Auriemma is always saying "We don't do it until we get it right, we do it until we can't get it wrong." I thought that was very profound and a good insight as to why he is so successful. I realize it's easier to drill like that when you only have 15 players or so, but wonder if it's possible for a football team to take that approach? Or are there too many players and groupings to pull it off?

Quotes are always fun but often times they are based on the atmosphere in which they are created and sometimes not as universal as one may think. Like "if at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again"....that's the heart of a winner, on the surface, but I'm thinking not everyone should apply it. Like those who go sky diving....;)

I like that quote though. Nice find.

That is the reason I continue to post. It works as you all can see.
I'm never wrong because i cant get it wrong

Quotes are always fun but often times they are based on the atmosphere in which they are created and sometimes not as universal as one may think. Like "if at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again"....that's the heart of a winner, on the surface, but I'm thinking not everyone should apply it. Like those who go sky diving....;)

I like that quote though. Nice find.

I'm assuming you've attended practices at NU or Baylor, so is it possible for a football team to drill like that, or are there too many moving parts?

I'm assuming you've attended practices at NU or Baylor, so is it possible for a football team to drill like that, or are there too many moving parts?

It's very much possible within a unit. Run a play. Whistle is blown, then run it again, whistle is blown, then run it again, whistle is blown,..........then run it in the opposite direction (that's keep the defense paying attention), then repeat. What I like more about NU, than when I played at Baylor is the fact they "bring the film to the field" in Lincoln. At Baylor were were to take mental notes of mistakes, and such things in the film room, then adjust during our drills/live ball/etc during practice, while our coaches were off to the side barking certain adjustments they want to see, after we have made the mistake. At NU, you'll see Coach Joe in the thick of it barking the same things he probably said in the film room (never been in film room with the team obviously...;)). He'll yell out to C.Evans "What do you see?" Evans has to one be able to, ONE, identify, and then adjust all while answering answering Coach Joe with the same tone he would call during a game.

Also, the way NU has it's units is much more insightful than what I had at Baylor. For example, at Baylor, if I'm a starting 5 year Sr., most like the only interaction I'll have with a true freshman walk-on, on the scout team may be during a scrimmage while preparing for an opponent. At NU, you often see drills that bring the 5th year Sr. should to shoulder with a Fr. walk-on during drills and maybe even during a scrimmage (in spring camp). I think that pays in the big picture like seeing what our O-Line went through this season. Drop offs don't always say that one mans talent is greater than the man behind him, it's the comfort and trust you have with the man next to you and him to you.

Anyway, got off track a bit........back to your question, yes, having a unit run some repeatedly is a strong and smart thing to do. You want plays to develop "muscle memory" with the players. The first time it's ran should be as strong and fast as the 10th time it's ran because regardless of the fatigue, it "BETTER" be easier because your are thinking less and just acting.

It's very much possible within a unit. Run a play. Whistle is blown, then run it again, whistle is blown, then run it again, whistle is blown,..........then run it in the opposite direction (that's keep the defense paying attention), then repeat. What I like more about NU, than when I played at Baylor is the fact they "bring the film to the field" in Lincoln. At Baylor were were to take mental notes of mistakes, and such things in the film room, then adjust during our drills/live ball/etc during practice, while our coaches were off to the side barking certain adjustments they want to see, after we have made the mistake. At NU, you'll see Coach Joe in the thick of it barking the same things he probably said in the film room (never been in film room with the team obviously...;)). He'll yell out to C.Evans "What do you see?" Evans has to one be able to, ONE, identify, and then adjust all while answering answering Coach Joe with the same tone he would call during a game.

Also, the way NU has it's units is much more insightful than what I had at Baylor. For example, at Baylor, if I'm a starting 5 year Sr., most like the only interaction I'll have with a true freshman walk-on, on the scout team may be during a scrimmage while preparing for an opponent. At NU, you often see drills that bring the 5th year Sr. should to shoulder with a Fr. walk-on during drills and maybe even during a scrimmage (in spring camp). I think that pays in the big picture like seeing what our O-Line went through this season. Drop offs don't always say that one mans talent is greater than the man behind him, it's the comfort and trust you have with the man next to you and him to you.

Anyway, got off track a bit........back to your question, yes, having a unit run some repeatedly is a strong and smart thing to do. You want plays to develop "muscle memory" with the players. The first time it's ran should be as strong and fast as the 10th time it's ran because regardless of the fatigue, it "BETTER" be easier because your are thinking less and just acting.

Great insight, thanks. Did you play for Grant Teaff?

While watching the UConn-Duke women's basketball game last night they had a little segment showing a UConn practice. One of the players said Geno Auriemma is always saying "We don't do it until we get it right, we do it until we can't get it wrong." I thought that was very profound and a good insight as to why he is so successful. I realize it's easier to drill like that when you only have 15 players or so, but wonder if it's possible for a football team to take that approach? Or are there too many players and groupings to pull it off?

I remember reading that that is what Leach used to do at TT. Only had a few plays but would drill them over and over.

I had a music teacher do this to us in highschool, she would never let us finish a song we hated the hell out of her but come showtime we were damn good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back