• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HCMR — The Right Guy for the Job

Not about drinking or not drinking. The OP was about the professional way Rhule handled a terrible situation. The answer to everything does not have to be. Let me wait and see if he wins. Can we just aknowledge that so far, HCMR has been a consummate professional? Without questioning future peeformance.

For the record more often then not past performance usually indicates future behavior.
The title of the thread was the Right Guy for the Job. Posters responded to that.

Even though I didn't type in the original post, I thought I had heard it stated the same way as @HuskerBred had put it in his post. Thank you for correcting me. That does sound better.

Personally, at this time, I hope he and his family stay a long time. I also hope nothing happens that changes that way of thinking.
That was a misquote. Rhule didn't say he's here "Until he's asked to leave". He said he is here, "until you guys kick us out."

Rhuĺe clearly has decided he likes Nebraska and wants to make his stand here. The place fits him. He's pointing out how much his kids are identifying with the place and that his wife likes it for a reason.

Things can change even for people who aren't mercenaries, of course. Since Rhule's not originally from this area and didn't play here, I wouldn't fault him if he ends up changing his mind, the way I do about someone for whom this place should mean enough in their life, that in the face of obstacles and frustration, should simply choose to stand and fight, instead of running away.
Best take yet on TA.

The title of the thread was the Right Guy for the Job. Posters responded to that.
Okay. Next time I’ll title it something like this: HCMR — The Right Guy for the Job for Press Conferences after the AD Takes Another Job and Leaves Husker Nation in a Semi-Panic and the Entire State Needs a Strong Leader to Step Up. Or maybe everyone could take a beat to read a sentence or two before popping off with the same tired crap I’ve read on this forum for over a decade.

Okay. Next time I’ll title it something like this: HCMR — The Right Guy for the Job for Press Conferences after the AD Takes Another Job and Leaves Husker Nation in a Semi-Panic and the Entire State Needs a Strong Leader to Step Up. Or maybe everyone could take a beat to read a sentence or two before popping off with the same tired crap I’ve read on this forum for over a decade.
I would think that after a decade you would already know and expect a precautionary opinion from another poster when you are labeling the 5-7 coach.

I think Matt Rhule will win for us. Win or lose, I think he is a good leader and a good man. I believe he trusted the Admiral and Trev and that he knows exactly why they left. Placing myself in his shoes, this board of regents would have this football season to get their act together and show they deserve the good leaders we have below them. Barring that, I fear Matt will be gone.

I think Matt Rhule will win for us. Win or lose, I think he is a good leader and a good man. I believe he trusted the Admiral and Trev and that he knows exactly why they left. Placing myself in his shoes, this board of regents would have this football season to get their act together and show they deserve the good leaders we have below them. Barring that, I fear Matt will be gone.
I agree. He seems to have a good grasp of leadership, poise and confidence that we need to get us going forward. Now we need to see the forward.

Can we just aknowledge that so far, HCMR has been a consummate professional? Without questioning future peeformance.

For the record more often then not past performance usually indicates future behavior.
Nice. Bitch at us for questioning future performance and follow it with a prediction of future performance. Its no wonder people question you for calling out posters. Good grief.

I agree. He seems to have a good grasp of leadership, poise and confidence that we need to get us going forward. Now we need to see the forward.
Agree 100%, including about going forward, i.e., the team doing better than 5-7. Of course, right? I want the Huskers back in the national championship picture as much as anyone. But being HC in Lincoln is brutal, especially following the last several years. And I know all of us want to give the guy a chance. A real chance. Other than 5-7, which a lot of fans and so-called experts would have accepted back in August 2023, he has done a fantastic job. By any objective standard. So, call it kool aid drinking or sunshine pumping, but I am going to keep praising all the good work by HCMR regardless of the wins/losses. We can agree to disagree about this, but I don’t start looking at win totals until 2025 or 2026. Until then, to me it’s all about how he’s rebuilding the program. And if there are things to discuss in a critical way about the how, I won’t hesitate to see it/call it for what it is. But right now, I see A+ “how” from HCMR.

Agree 100%, including about going forward, i.e., the team doing better than 5-7. Of course, right? I want the Huskers back in the national championship picture as much as anyone. But being HC in Lincoln is brutal, especially following the last several years. And I know all of us want to give the guy a chance. A real chance. Other than 5-7, which a lot of fans and so-called experts would have accepted back in August 2023, he has done a fantastic job. By any objective standard. So, call it kool aid drinking or sunshine pumping, but I am going to keep praising all the good work by HCMR regardless of the wins/losses. We can agree to disagree about this, but I don’t start looking at win totals until 2025 or 2026. Until then, to me it’s all about how he’s rebuilding the program. And if there are things to discuss in a critical way about the how, I won’t hesitate to see it/call it for what it is. But right now, I see A+ “how” from HCMR.
Hey you don't need to convince me that he is handling this TA thing very well. I think all the head coaches are because they know what is going on. I have no problem with you stating that. I had no problem with your thread. I have no problem with TA or how it is handled by the BOR. I had a problem with a poster deciding to attack other posters for not drinking the kool aid and ......heaven forbid.....infer that they want to see results as the real measurement of whether Matt Rhule is the right hire. The only reason I quoted the title was to refute said posters response.

I see and respect both sides. As @HuskerBred stated, W's and L's especially last year were irrelevant to me. I wanted to see how the team evolved, was he establishing a PLAYER LED locker room? Were those leaders holding other guys accountable? Was this staff developing players and were we seeing more players getting serious reps? Was a culture of competition established? Will we still see a weak-minded team when it mattered most? Were the players representing the school the way we all want them to? Does our retention rates improve?

All of these factors were so much more important to me than W's. For the most part, HCMR hit the ball out of the park with most of my 1st year concerns. But as Hville stated, there is that "forward" part we all must start to actually see play out for this team and expectations should be higher this year as opposed to last year when nobody had a clue what would happen.

There's enough good things happening for me to think we are on the path to success. But we must take that big 2nd year step this year and it all starts between the ears of these players. I think we are physically ready to compete. But where are we mentally in year 2?

Mat drills anyone?

I see and respect both sides. As @HuskerBred stated, W's and L's especially last year were irrelevant to me. I wanted to see how the team evolved, was he establishing a PLAYER LED locker room? Were those leaders holding other guys accountable? Was this staff developing players and were we seeing more players getting serious reps? Was a culture of competition established? Will we still see a weak-minded team when it mattered most? Were the players representing the school the way we all want them to? Does our retention rates improve?

All of these factors were so much more important to me than W's. For the most part, HCMR hit the ball out of the park with most of my 1st year concerns. But as Hville stated, there is that "forward" part we all must start to actually see play out for this team and expectations should be higher this year as opposed to last year when nobody had a clue what would happen.

There's enough good things happening for me to think we are on the path to success. But we must take that big 2nd year step this year and it all starts between the ears of these players. I think we are physically ready to compete. But where are we mentally in year 2?

Mat drills anyone?
I'll be truthful. The argument on wins and losses isn't even the point with me here. My argument is a poster trying to basically say people who aren't positive all the time have pathetic lives. And insinuating that they need to drink the koolaid and give up any need to see the results as the basis for qualifying as being positive. I know those weren't the exact words spoken but its a summary of the message.

I got beat up for two years not drinking the koolaid of SF. Despite the facts in front of us. If we have a couple of posters getting beat up for saying they'd like to see the wins before baptizing Rhule as the right guy than I have no problem defending their right to say that. I know enough about two of the posters to know the one shouldn't be judging the others life.

I'll be truthful. The argument on wins and losses isn't even the point with me here. My argument is a poster trying to basically say people who aren't positive all the time have pathetic lives. And insinuating that they need to drink the koolaid and give up any need to see the results as the basis for qualifying as being positive. I know those weren't the exact words spoken but its a summary of the message.

I got beat up for two years not drinking the koolaid of SF. Despite the facts in front of us. If we have a couple of posters getting beat up for saying they'd like to see the wins before baptizing Rhule as the right guy than I have no problem defending their right to say that. I know enough about two of the posters to know the one shouldn't be judging the others life.
If you’re including me in that message I’ll apologize now so we can move past this. People can express whatever opinions they want, obviously, and if I was impolite doing so I’ll watch my words and tone. My ongoing issue is that not every post here is about or should lead to ultimate questions of wins/losses or hire/fire. It would be great if we stop short sometimes. If I was misunderstood above, then so be it. I’ll try to be more clear. My point in starting this discussion was simple. I appreciate the qualities in HCMR he showed by stepping up in the press conference and saying what he did. I admire him for it. I’m happy he’s the head coach because of that quality. Full stop. No referendum on his hire. No comparisons to past NU coaches. No call for a contract extension. Just damn happy he’s our guy at crisis time. And I don’t think you and I disagree at all about that. I honestly think there has been so much emotion with the Husker Nation about the last few HCs, ADs, etc. that it’s hard for any of us to keep it on an even keel. I don’t care in the slightest about who on this forum historically was pro/con Solich, Pelini, Riley, or Frost. Or Osborne for that matter, because I’m old enough to remember when fans wanted his head on a pike for losing to Iowa State, among other things. I care about right now. Spring 2024. And the Huskers getting better before the fall. When HCMR says what he says the other day, I know his head is in the game. He is ON IT. He is handling things and coaching up his guys. And that makes my day in an otherwise crappy week. So maybe my second message is let’s get nervous about him quitting or losing games in another discussion.

I would think that after a decade you would already know and expect a precautionary opinion from another poster when you are labeling the 5-7 coach.
Really Hville? Don't be that guy, it was his 1st season. What did you expect? Did you expect a 10 win team? Frost left the University and left a mentally weak team. They were accustomed to losing but not quitting. Give the guy a chance. You have been very critical of a lot of things, I think you should sit back, look in a mirror and find who you once were. You've taken the right now I want it now approach. Just stop, you're not from that generation.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back