• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Harbaugh extended at UM

On the one hand it seems strange Michigan would do this. On the other hand, maybe they took a look at Nebraska and said hmmm........maybe we don’t want to get rid of a coach who wins an average of 9 games a year in one of the the two toughest conferences in America.....

even if he can be a bit odd and abrasive at times. :)

writing is on the wall tho, if you really wanted him you wouldnt take money away. this is now just a marriage of convenience. hes still gone in a year or 2 when he finds the right NFL opportunity or things get worse there and the buy him out then.

Not sure what his buyout used to be, but this one is pretty easy. $4M in 2021, $1M less each year.

still shaking my head that he’s staying there unless this was a way for them to reduce their exposure.

Not sure what his buyout used to be, but this one is pretty easy. $4M in 2021, $1M less each year.

still shaking my head that he’s staying there unless this was a way for them to reduce their exposure.
Not a Michigan insider-but agree. I think in these 2 tumultuous years (yes I'm counting 2021)..better not to jump to conclusions and maybe bide time. Mich gets to do that with a lot less risk than many coaches contracts are. He also has a job and who knows, consider other avenues down the road.

I think Harbaugh is a good coach...maybe not great. And possibly a better NFL coach than college. I respect him for signing an incentive laden contract with a low buyout for both sides. Unlike someone like Bo Pelini, who has made getting canned an artform.

Seems to be a stop gap contract. He essentially gets 1 or 2 more years. If he improves he renegotiates or leaves, with little disincentive. If he continues to underperform expectation, he's fired with little consequence.

Also possible he has a eye on a NFL job that didnt open up, so he is biding his time. San Diego perhaps?

Last edited:
totally agree with FLAS... buyout reduction makes it much easier for either side to part ways.

Excellent move.... for the rest of the BIG teams imo. Almost guarantees more dominance from OSU and Meechicken fans can continue to grind what teeth they have left next season.

writing is on the wall tho, if you really wanted him you wouldnt take money away. this is now just a marriage of convenience. hes still gone in a year or 2 when he finds the right NFL opportunity or things get worse there and the buy him out then.

Spot on. This contract is buying time and attempting to save face for both sides. Current Michigan AD doesn't want to fire the prodigal son, who was envisioned by most of the Michigan fan base as the program savior following the failed Rich Rodriguez & Brady Hoke years. Sound familiar? Harbaugh was brought in to win conference championships, bowl games and make the occasional CFP appearance. Even his most ardent supporters will concede Harbaugh has failed to deliver thus far. It's a tough job, but when you're being paid $8M per year, 2-4 doesn't cut it.

So Harbaugh didn't get his NFL offer, and Michigan wasn't able to get a commitment from whoever they have at the top of their coach replacement wish list. This is the result while they both realize that each other is the best they can do right now while they keep looking.

I think Harbaugh is a good coach...maybe not great. And possibly a better NFL coach than college. I respect him for signing an incentive laden contract with a low buyout for both sides. Unlike someone like Bo Pelini, who has made getting canned an artform.

I’ve never been fired, but if I could masks out like a bandit and get paid to go away.....I’m willing to learn.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back