• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Happy Independence Day!

Bean

Grey Shirt
10 Year Member

"Here we mark the price of freedom"

Have a safe, great, and delicious Holiday!

:Usflag::HuskersN::Hooray:

Thank you for the thread Bean! Grateful for the 247 years blessed by the freedoms wrought by the sacrifices of the colonial and wisdom of the founding fathers & prayers that we can keep it together for a long, long time.

:Usflag:

Last edited:
The-Real-Meaning-of-Independence-Day.png

You feel it most when you are in a foreign country on the Fourth. I was in Leningrad in the old Soviet Union on that date in 1961 (to put that in context, that was before the Berlin Wall was built and Kreuschev was still head of the party) and everything was either grey or black. There were no colors anywhere in the city. Since I was not traveling with a group, I had no way to celebrate, and probably would have been hesitant to do even if I were with a group.

The difference was very clear.

You feel it most when you are in a foreign country on the Fourth. I was in Leningrad in the old Soviet Union on that date in 1961 (to put that in context, that was before the Berlin Wall was built and Kreuschev was still head of the party) and everything was either grey or black. There were no colors anywhere in the city. Since I was not traveling with a group, I had no way to celebrate, and probably would have been hesitant to do even if I were with a group.

The difference was very clear.
Expound upon your post … Cuban Missile Crisis followed in October ‘61 … and the same month my dad was inducted into the Army.

I was returning from a year in India and visiting a friend who was doing graduate work in Russian studies at U. of Leningrad. He was getting booted out of the country since he had shared his Sunday NYT editions with soviet friends (one whose wife reported him was sentenced to 5 years in the gulag for that offense).

We had a great three days saying good by to his artist friends, seeing Petroschka and Rites of Spring at the Bolshoi, partying in private apartments and in artists studios, etc. He left at that time and then secretly reentered 21times over the following years and was never caught.

I've always believed this day is for me, as it's my birthday.

My birthday wish is for the divisiveness that is as bad as I've seen in this country in my lifetime ends. It starts with social media. Realize that we are much more alike than we are different. We can change things and learn to love your fellow Americans.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back