• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Handling success

NavyWarrant

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
Saw the second half of tonight's game and will go back and watch the first. A few observations. Glad to get a win on the road! Wasn't a true hostile environment, but a road win is a win!! The team is struggling with success at this point. Several posters have stated how the are reading their newspaper clippings. I agree. It may be a carry over from last year, but hopefully they catch on quick that every game is a new battle.

Petteway needs to share the ball more! Too much dribbling and forcing. He has to know that spreading the ball around will get him better looks! I also feel he is too nonchalant some times. Play hard every minute. One improvement I saw tonight over last year was his behavior after he fouled out. He was on the bench supporting the team, not sulking!:clap: That shows maturity and what Coach Miles wants from a leader.

Benny Parker is getting more confidence in his shot every game! Tarin Smith will definitely be getting more minutes. His court vision is very good and makes good crisp passes. The three was a huge confidence builder for he and for Coach.

I thought Abraham played better once he got his fourth foul? Maybe the staff needs to tell him he starts each game with four.

Go Big Red:N:

Dear NavyWarrant:

I have no reason to argue with you. I have no way to confirm that which you have written.

I think that part of our problem, vs fla st univ, was their height, which caused foul problems for us, later.

SWB

Good observations, Warrant.

I do strongly believe a key for being an improved team this season is Petteway -- not so much his play -- but his attitude. Thus, was glad to read he didn't allow a poor stretch doom his mentality. Too many times last season, when he got in a funk, his frustrations only made it worse. He does need to learn to get his teammates more involved when the shots aren't falling. It happens to everyone, and it's an opportunity to improve the other facets of your games.

Definitely still some "getting hungry" instead of being "fat and happy" from last season is still needed from the team as a whole. They certainly have yet to click on all cylinders. It's early.

In terms of the OP's subject line, what a great problem for us! Agree with your post, NavyWarrant.

Even as fans, we need to realize this isn't the same team that seemed to set the world on fire last year. The loss of Leslee Smith, while minor, just changes the rhythm of the offense. I was really disappointed with our defense in the second half, standing around and Petteway getting caught up a number of times on picks due to a lack of focus.

Loved Smith getting the 3. Loved that Rivers, Smith, Shields stepped up after Petteway and Webster fouled out. I thought we might fall apart. They surprised me. That was a nice, ugly win! :nod:

Long way to go, but typically Miles' teams improve. Good night for Shavon, Benny, and Tarin. Terran was Terran--some outstanding plays, flashes of brilliance. And some boneheaded plays which could have been very costly. 2 in the last few minutes: Selfishly not dishing to Shavon on the break and picking up the charge, and making a grade school pass which was picked for a breakaway when we were protecting a 5 point lead.

Walt is in the funk of all funks. Tonight it was in all phases of the game. Concerning. And Tai still can't shoot. Plus turnover prone.

We better play better Sunday, or something dreadful could happen against the Jays. Glad we have a week to prepare.

Shavon is money. Pet is streaky.

#11 came up big late in the game. Good to see a freshman contribute early.

Agree, Tai still can't shoot......how was he a 4* player?

Abraham is good but needs to be more aggressive defending the basket.

Cannot disagree; but some things to think about:

- Different players led us in points (Petteway-25), rebounds (Shields-8), assists (Webster-3), and steals (Parker-4).

- Benny Parker led the team in minutes played (@ 35, along w/Rivers). Whoever would have predicted that 2 years ago, or even one?

- Moses and Pitchford played for a Long time while sitting on 4 PF's, providing much needed play by the bigs. Neither fouled-out and it was probably Moses' best game to date.

- Both Smith and Parker made clutch, 3 pointers from the corner at critical junctures in the game.

- For the first time this season the team got off to a fast start, significantly outscoring their opponent.

- Overall Team performance has improved with each successive outing.

Edit: Re-reading this post there was something familiar about it, but didn't know what. GOT IT; my best 'just something to think about' ROJO imitation. :eek:

R.I.P. Rojo!

Last edited:

Great points, Don! It seems each game we have had at least one guy really pick it up. Shields has been pretty consistent, but when he had a bad game, Pitchford had his best. They seem to have each others back!

I was thinking about Petteway and think he will have his best games in the conference schedule. He played very well in the summer camps he went to. He elevates his game against better players. Basic human nature. With that extra effort, jumpers don't fall short and instead of laying it in he slams it home.

One play towards the end brought a smile to my face. FSU missed a shot and the rebound came to Benny. The great part was everyone had a butt on a player holding position. The entire lane was void of FSU players and Benny grabbed the ball.

I wonder if Coach Miles is limiting Smith's minutes to keep expectations down. Lesson learned from expecting to much from Tai last year. Keep bringing him along slowly and increase minutes getting into conference play.

Great points, Don! It seems each game we have had at least one guy really pick it up. Shields has been pretty consistent, but when he had a bad game, Pitchford had his best. They seem to have each others back!

I was thinking about Petteway and think he will have his best games in the conference schedule. He played very well in the summer camps he went to. He elevates his game against better players. Basic human nature. With that extra effort, jumpers don't fall short and instead of laying it in he slams it home.

One play towards the end brought a smile to my face. FSU missed a shot and the rebound came to Benny. The great part was everyone had a butt on a player holding position. The entire lane was void of FSU players and Benny grabbed the ball.

I wonder if Coach Miles is limiting Smith's minutes to keep expectations down. Lesson learned from expecting to much from Tai last year. Keep bringing him along slowly and increase minutes getting into conference play.

He's basically limiting Tarin's minutes due to defense. Miles' defense takes awhile to pick up. Plus he is subbing a bigger Tai Webster for Petteway and Shields now, and likes more size, particularly for defense, on the wing. So I believe he is limiting Tarin's minutes for basketball reasons, rather than due to trying to keep expectations down. As the knowledge of the systems increases, so will the minutes. And it Tai continues to struggle on offense, Tarin's minutes may increase as well. For now it's mainly about defense. And I believe Tarin will continue to make strides in that regard.

I think we are both thinking the same thing, I just did a poor job of writing it. I meant he isn't forced into playing Smith, letting him progress as he learns the system. As Coach Miles gets more comfortable with his play, he will see the court more. Have to be happy with his play in limited minutes so far.

I expect to see a pretty deep rotation by B1G play. This will help in the tough stretch of the conference schedule. I think some of the guys were worn out by conference tourney play and into the dance.

He's basically limiting Tarin's minutes due to defense. Miles' defense takes awhile to pick up. Plus he is subbing a bigger Tai Webster for Petteway and Shields now, and likes more size, particularly for defense, on the wing. So I believe he is limiting Tarin's minutes for basketball reasons, rather than due to trying to keep expectations down. As the knowledge of the systems increases, so will the minutes. And it Tai continues to struggle on offense, Tarin's minutes may increase as well. For now it's mainly about defense. And I believe Tarin will continue to make strides in that regard.

Great points, Don!

Thanks Warrant! Wish I could take credit for thinking them up, but, after all, I'm just a Neanderthal. :stickouttongue: They're mostly points I picked up elsewhere and thot they might be of interest here.

I'm thrilled to see Benny Parker perform so well. He's my favorite player to watch on the team (love seeing him zip up and down the court - he's the easiest one to spot because of his speed).

About the playing time, it might have something to do with the limited roster Miles had to work with last year vs now.

I'm optimistic about the Huskers prospects this season. :nod: I know some are disappointed with the start this year, then I think of the start last season. The team is a work in progress and I don't think its reasonable to expect them to begin play this season at the same level they had at the end of last season.

Last edited:

Amazing how fans will criticize an NBA talent like Petteway for doing what he's supposed to; score points. We finally get ourselves an excellent coach and players and people start nit-picking. FSU made a great half-time adjustment and started forcing both TP and SS to their off hands. Petteway kept trying to go to his right, and a number of questionable calls went against him. Without his 25 we lose.

Thanks Warrant! Wish I could take credit for thinking them up, but, after all, I'm just a Neanderthal. :stickouttongue: They're mostly points I picked up elsewhere and thot they might be of interest here.

I'm thrilled to see Benny Parker perform so well. He's my favorite player to watch on the team (love seeing him zip up and down the court - he's the easiest one to spot because of his speed).

About the playing time, it might have something to do with the limited roster Miles had to work with last year vs now.

I'm optimistic about the Huskers prospects this season. :nod: I know some are disappointed with the start this year, then I think of the start last season. The team is a work in progress and I don't think its reasonable to expect them to begin play this season at the same level they had at the end of last season.
Benny also plays great defense.

I don't think anyone is criticizing his 25 points. I agree the calls were questionable, but if he would have simply taken a couple dribbles to his left, he could have went back right and been at the elbow for a nice jumper. It was a big win for the program. Not sure if anyone saw the picture from the plane, but there were several happy Huskers!! Just like the fans:huskerflag:

Amazing how fans will criticize an NBA talent like Petteway for doing what he's supposed to; score points. We finally get ourselves an excellent coach and players and people start nit-picking. FSU made a great half-time adjustment and started forcing both TP and SS to their off hands. Petteway kept trying to go to his right, and a number of questionable calls went against him. Without his 25 we lose.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back