• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Haarberg Spring Game Throws

Haarberg's arm strength was on display in the spring game. But I was more curious about his feet than his arm, given how much the qb run game has factored in. I thought he looked swifter than I had expected. Exceeded expectations here.

Accuracy is going to be the factor separating good and really really good.
Yup, accuracy is key. Be interesting to see if a kid with HS completion rate in the mid 50s can improve to mid 60s in the Power 5. I wouldnt place $ on it right now.

Keeping eyes downfield is mandatory, and in this offense, available qb runs during a scramble can be buying time, but also may draw the qb in an open area near the LOS, here a defender may vacate his area, and a qb learns to simply throw over a defender whos dropping down, thats quick blinking while potentially on the run, knowing where you guys are, and keying a certain defensive player while knowing where youre at on the field, and th down marker etc.
A very good qb knows all this, is comfortable, and a rpo is created here, as the qb can throw the ball at any point until hes past the LOS.

This kind of play stresses defenses much more than simply sliding in a pocket, because it maintains the run part of the rpo

Wait, the QB can't throw a forward pass once beyond the LOS but can throw from anywhere on the field when behind the LOS?

C

There aren't all that many QB's who can deliver the ball equally as well standing in a well protected pocket and while scrambling. Those that can either are or likely will be in the NFL making millions. Teams that have those extremely talented QBs are usually BCS level teams, simply because those QBs generally aren't going to go to a school that's struggling. We've had some great QBs for the system we ran at the time but I don't know if we've ever had one that was a total package passing in the pocket, passing while scrambling, and running threat. We'd be a different team if we had one now.

stick to pocket passers
You missed the joke - GIF on Imgur

C

See how easy that is.
RPOs allow and are designed and require certain qbs to perform them, which allows last second throws, even if a qb has running room as he heads to the LOS,which may be a concern as noted by others about Haarberg.
They call it basketball on grass for a reason, and if you have the right qb, which I hope we have, and will continue to, it opens up our offense without the continued wear and tear on a qb trying to run instead.

Last edited:
See how easy that is.
RPOs allow and are designed and require certain qbs to perform them, which allows last second throws, even if a qb has running room as he heads to the LOS,which may be a concern as noted by others about Haarberg.
They call it basketball on grass for a reason, and if you have the right qb, which I hope we have, and will continue to, it opens up our offense without the continued wear and tear on a qb trying to run instead.

I just appreciate you explaining to me that a QB can't throw a pass once beyond the LOS and he can throw from anywhere on the playing field when behind the LOS. I never knew that before.

C

Just finished watching every throw attempted by HH in the spring game. When under pressure and forced out of the pocket, his mechanics break down. While this is a common issue for QBs, I did notice his percentage of errant throws rise when he is under pressure to complete the throw. This once again is a common problem we see in QBs. My question for the board is this. Can a QB be trained to maintain his mechanics while under pressure when a play breaks down? If so is this something that Coach Verdu works with our QBs on? Can a pocket passer be trained to become a throw on the run guy when needed? Our guys (AM, LS, HH) all seem to be able to avoid the rush due to their speed, agility, and athleticism. If a run lane is open great, however it seems to me our completion percentage as a team could and should be higher when throwing on the run. Hoping to get some feedback from those that know more than me.
Tom Brady. Peyton Manning. Aaron Rogers. <Insert any other name>

What do they have in common? They all look ordinary when pressured.

Yes, you can work on mechanics while outside of the pocket (allegedly Verdus niche), but the bottom line is a strong pass rush will make any QB vulnerable to mechanical (and psychological) breakdowns. Oftentimes, pressure makes QBs see "ghosts" and doesn't allow a QB to effectively see the field.

Last edited:
Tom Brady. Peyton Manning. Aaron Rogers. <Insert any other name>

What do they have in common? They all look ordinary when pressured.

Yes, you can work on mechanics while outside of the pocket (allegedly Verdus niche), but the bottom line is a strong pass rush will make any QB vulnerable to mechanical (and psychological) breakdowns. Oftentimes, pressure makes QBs see "ghosts" and doesn't allow a QB to effectively see the field.
They dont call them qb hurries without a reason.
Its harder to hurry a qb who can avoid the rush, keep his focus downfield and even know where the LOS is, as he may use it to pull a defender away which was my earlier point.
Milton was very good at this, it makes the defender to choose the wrong thing to do, he stays on his wr/TE, or he comes in after the qb, each action has a workable counter from a qb who can run a good rpo at this point.
Haarberg learns this, we have a good one.

They dont call them qb hurries without a reason.
Its harder to hurry a qb who can avoid the rush, keep his focus downfield and even know where the LOS is, as he may use it to pull a defender away which was my earlier point.
Milton was very good at this, it makes the defender to choose the wrong thing to do, he stays on his wr/TE, or he comes in after the qb, each action has a workable counter from a qb who can run a good rpo at this point.
Haarberg learns this, we have a good one.
Of course, escapability plays as an additional weapon if you have a QB with athleticism - giving them more time to throw and scan. Aaron Rogers is a good example of this. But I'm talking about being hurried and pocket mechanics.

Of course, escapability plays as an additional weapon if you have a QB with athleticism - giving them more time to throw and scan. Aaron Rogers is a good example of this. But I'm talking about being hurried and pocket mechanics.
And that puts the onus on pocket passers for greatest effect.
Nebraska should get the athletic types with good arms, unlike the majority of our competition, where a good pass rush has greater effect.

Fine line between a good arm and being athletic. Breakdowns on the D line weve seen our D get burned by not so athletic qbs, but same for our qbs, the problem with that being, the opponent wants/allows for our qb runs,making our qbs less effective in our struggling pass game after so many hits from running making us even more one dimensional.
Its essential at times to have your qb escape and throw ,taking the aspect away from the opposing D of allowing qb runs, which stresses those Ds a lot.
I think Haarberg has the tools, how much of a quick blinker he becomes in this aspect we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Can't remember if it was POB or Gebbia that had a really really nice throw in the spring game where he stepped into the corner of the pocket that wasn't collapsing and threw down to the end zone complete. That was a good case of pocket presence and situational awareness. Not sure we've seen that since.

Can't remember if it was POB or Gebbia that had a really really nice throw in the spring game where he stepped into the corner of the pocket that wasn't collapsing and threw down to the end zone complete. That was a good case of pocket presence and situational awareness. Not sure we've seen that since.
Well...it has been 4 years with pretty much the same QB. Us old guys have problems remembering things. :Cheers:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back