• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Grilled Oysters

ScarletVA

Vetted Asset
5 Year Member
I am prepping the grill for the annual Mother's Day present to my wife (no cooking allowed by her, we consume only what comes off my grill...).

Steaks, ribs, kabobs, tuna, salmon, I've done most of it, to some degree of excellence.

What's new this year is oysters. While driving back from my son's lacrosse games in the Outer Banks of NC, I stopped at a seafood vendor, and bought a quarter bushel of fresh oysters in the shell. Never grilled oysters... I can see what's on the internet, but wanted to solicit from the HM gurus as well. Any tried and true techniques?

Thanks in advance.

Ran a test while the better half is out shopping, as follows;

Cranked the grill up all the way.

Scubbed down a dozen oysters with a stiff bristle brush.

Dropped them all on a sheet of aluminum foil.

Melted butter, tabasco, liquid smoke, worcheshire, crushed garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.

After six minutes, pulled the oysters that were opened from the grill (eight of the dozen).

Cut meat from shell.

The remaining opened (minus one, which I tossed) after 8 minutes or so.

Forked 'em, dipped 'em in butter sauce. Consumed. Not bad at all.

Almost as easy as grilling a bone-in Ribeye to medium rare.

Last edited:
That sounds pretty good. At first I thought you were planning on shucking them before grilling, and couldn't figure out how you were going to do that.

I still think I prefer my oyster chilled and on a saltine, with liberal amounts of horseradish, tabasco, worcheshire, pepper, and a cold beer.

Last edited:
That sounds pretty good. At first I thought you were planning on shucking them before grilling, and couldn't figure out how you were going to do that.

I still think I prefer my oyster chilled and on a saltine, with liberal amounts of horseradish, tabasco, worcheshire, pepper, and a cold beer.

That way, too, Sonuva. Agree wholeheartedly. Simpler is always better.

I refined the oyster procedure a bit, since a few oysters in the first batch tended to be dry (am used the the raw chilled on a saltine, like yourself), almost making the butter/tabasco dip mandatory. What I tried this weekend, was to add a little butter and tabasco directly into the shell, as soon as they opened up (two to four minutes), and then kept them on the grill for a few minutes after that. Those grilled oysters were outstanding, right from the shell.

It's just after midnight and I'm reading this. Mouth is watering and sleep will be hard to arrive at tonite.

It's just after midnight and I'm reading this. Mouth is watering and sleep will be hard to arrive at tonite.

Now that I've got the routine down, grilled oysters are definitely part of my Fourth of July grill repertoire, CT. Hope you and yours (and all of us here on Max's board) have a safe, enjoyable Independance Day.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back