• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Greatest Husker Athlete of All Time

Growing up, I remember Jay Sims basically dominating the performance index for athletic testing, and nobody ever beat his numbers that I saw for as long as they published that, so I'll throw his name out there for pure athletic ability.

Strickland is a great choice too for someone who could have played any number of sports at the professional level.

The first 2 people I thought of and for the exact same reasons.

Last edited:

James Donald Raschke (Baron Von)

High school football
Professional wrestling

Last edited:
How about Dave Rimington? Don't remember all the stats exactly but 6'2" 300lbs, bench 425lbs, ran the 40 in 5.05 seconds and could dunk a basketball. I don't know how good of a all around athlete he was but definitely defined the position he played.

I was going to say either him or Jordan Burroughs...I mean Rimington has a trophy named after him, do any others?

LP.......hands down imo

Barron Miles.......did more with less and was one o the best big game players we ever had.

Mike Minter......one of the best athletes at NU even after his injury.

Ahman Green.....deceptive in every way and always loved his pad level low running style.

Eric Warfield......from what I recall he could’ve played bball for Arkansas when they were good but chose football at NU.

It's definitely a case for best female athlete going against female competition. But the thread is best athlete.

wow. and the lifetime ban award goes to....

All athletes are compared to other athletes and time and across sports (is Jim Thorpe no longer considered a great athlete because he competed decades ago against guys that are weak and slow by todays standards?)

Johnny Mitchell has to be in the conversation somewhere. Strick was a beast for sure.

I remember another player asking who was the best athlete on the team and said simply "ever seen someone dribble a football down the basketball court and then dunk it? Johnny could dribble a football.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back