• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Greatest Athlete from State of Nebraska

In all these responses, kind of surprised no one mentioned Mike McGee, who averaged nearly 40 PPG in basketball his senior year at Omaha North. He played college ball at Michigan, leading the team in scoring all four years he was there, then had a 10-year NBA career that included a couple of championships with the Lakers.

top 20
1. Bob Gibson
2. GayleSayers
3. Grover Cleveland Alexader
4. Bob Boozer
5. Johnny Rogers
6. Lloyd Hahn
7. Richie Ashburn
8. Ahman Green
9. Tom Kropp
10. Jordan Larson
11. Jim Hartung
12. Dazzy Vance
13. Ike Mahoney
14. Sam Crawford
15. Mike McGee
16. Allison Weston
17. Marlin Brscoe
18. Erick Strickland
19. Lloyd Cardwell
20. Gilbert Dodds

top 20
1. Bob Gibson
2. GayleSayers
3. Grover Cleveland Alexader
4. Bob Boozer
5. Johnny Rogers
6. Lloyd Hahn
7. Richie Ashburn
8. Ahman Green
9. Tom Kropp
10. Jordan Larson
11. Jim Hartung
12. Dazzy Vance
13. Ike Mahoney
14. Sam Crawford
15. Mike McGee
16. Allison Weston
17. Marlin Brscoe
18. Erick Strickland
19. Lloyd Cardwell
20. Gilbert Dodds
This is a good list, but I think Jay Novacek should be in there somewhere. Also, baseball great (Hall of Fame) Wade Boggs was born in Omaha. I’d include him as well.

Last edited:
Doesn't need to be Professional,Collegiate or High School. The Question was simply Greatest Athlete period, as OP I would even say that could be Male or Female.
Agreed. I had added the bit about professional leagues to note that he had no chance to continue his career beyond college, so that is all we have to go on.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back